Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
TinCup

Default U joint rebuild

We are putting the final touches on the coupe and before we put the motor back in we inspected the u-joint and noticed enough wear to warrant replacing or rebuilding. The rebuild kit is certainly the most economical path but getting the retaing clips out is very difficult. So much so that seasoned A mechanics in the club all said they have had a lot of trouble in getting the old clips out. I used a dremel with a small cut wheel and they came right out. There seems to be no play to get a chisel or another wedge device in to get the clips out .

Any solutions other than to cut the old clips?

The coupe is getting new valves, seats, guides and lifters along with new clutch, V8 pressure plate and lightened flywheel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 092110a.jpg (241.1 KB, 50 views)
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: U joint rebuild

I would think with as much time, money and labor already into it and it's a pain to replace you would replace it. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
TinCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
I would think with as much time, money and labor already into it and it's a pain to replace you would replace it. JMO
Paul in CT
It's not necessarily the cost but all things considered if one can rebuild for half the cost of replacing then it makes sense. Plus if you make a rebuild kit then there should be procedure for it.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
ursus

Some of the older NORS replacement kits had instructions to secure the UJ in a vice and strike the clips sharply with hammer and chisel. The clips are spring steel and very tight on the bushing. Striking the clip will relieve the spring tension, allowing you to slip a hook tool or similar tool under the clip to pull it out. Replacement is by tapping it back in with a hammer. Clips removed in this manner have no "spring " left so are no longer usable. Be very careful with the replacement procedure because the spring tension can cause a partially mounted clip to fly off to parts unknown (wear safety glasses) and I have never seen them sold separately.

The replacement kits I have seen lately are made from have rather crude castings and appear to have much more metal on one side of the cross-ring than on another. My concern is that this unbalance situation would result in a significant vibration that would be very hard to diagnose as to source. I never hear much talk about unbalance resulting from U-joints or bent drivelines and have to think this may lie at the bottom of some of those annoying vibrations that never seem to get resolved.

I alway look and buy NOS Ford or NORS US or Canadian made UJ kits (Spicer, Borg Warner, etc) on E-Bay or at swap meets. These are well made and fit perfectly.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
Tom Endy

Fortunately, here in Southern California there is an abundance of swap meets and serviceable U-joints can be had at a lot less cost than a rebuild kit. I have taken a number of the rebuildable units apart for bead blasting and they can be very difficult. One little tip is to use a small chisel and put a small indention in the wire clip. Use the chisel then to tap the clip to one side as far as it will go. Then with a slim screwdriver try to pry the clip loose at the opposite end. It is a tedious affair and sometimes not worth the effort.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #6
TinCup

We were fortunate that we found a kit that was at least 40 years old still in the wax paper. Striking the clips in the center as you detailed sounds like it would work as well. I have to tell you cutting the clips with the dremel was smooth and easy. Everyone on the rebuild were impressed at how easy. The usual comment was " do you know how long I worked to get those off". Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
Rainmaker Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCup View Post
We are putting the final touches on the coupe and before we put the motor back in we inspected the u-joint and noticed enough wear to warrant replacing or rebuilding. The rebuild kit is certainly the most economical path but getting the retaing clips out is very difficult. So much so that seasoned A mechanics in the club all said they have had a lot of trouble in getting the old clips out. I used a dremel with a small cut wheel and they came right out. There seems to be no play to get a chisel or another wedge device in to get the clips out .

Any solutions other than to cut the old clips?

The coupe is getting new valves, seats, guides and lifters along with new clutch, V8 pressure plate and lightened flywheel.
I am told that a small punch ground at an angle ( a baloney cut) and struck with a hammer will get under the clip. The few times when I have done several at a time, I just "sting" the clip with the wire welder enough to leave a "dingleberry" that can be gripped with the diagonal pliers.
Rainmaker Ron
Rainmaker Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #8
Reds34

You can check this out. Hope it helps.

http://forums.aa-fords.com/viewtopic...5&hilit=+joint

Red
Reds34 is offline   Reply With Quote