Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
B-O-B

Default sad day today

Just heard on the evening news that Roy Brown designer of the Edsel passed away today @ 96.
My condolences to his family.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
hoss73ford

Default Re: sad day today

The Edsel failure wasn't Roy's or Ford's fault. When it was said that 'its aim was right but the target moved" was correct. Had it been introduced a year earlier or several years later it may have been a successful selling car. My uncles remembers Sept 4, 1957 when it was first introduced and the economy was starting to slide into a recession by then.
hoss73ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #3
parklane

Well, the 58 Edsel was a unique car, and way ahead of its time IMHO. Wouldn't mind having a Ranger 2door hardtop or 2 door wagon.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:23 PM   #4
teejay99

Until now I had never heard of Roy Brown or the Edsel connection . As a young teen I remember looking forward to the "space age" styles that prevailed for several years . I didn't particularly like the Edsel , but couldn't really understand why it was the butt of so many jokes back then . I thought there were far uglier styles out there , particularly some of the Chrysler products . I think I felt that the Edsel was an interesting effort ( especially the horse collar grill ) that just didn't catch on .
teejay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
Ford blue blood

In addition to the "UNIQUE" styling, unique color combinations, the oncoming recession and Q/A issues (assembled on Ford production lines) it just didn't hit the public. They were well ahead of their time, they offered options that are now standard equipment now for the most part. Low oil warning, light out warning, door ajar warning, excessive speed warning and a couple more that escape me at the moment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Edsel 001.jpg (114.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Edsel 002.jpg (123.0 KB, 24 views)

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
LOWRIDER

I'm always amused when I hear people berate the Edsel as being a "lemon" or poor quality. GM didn't get the same press over the Toronado.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
Oldmics
BANNED

Mine

Oldmics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0077.jpg (96.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0078.jpg (71.7 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Oldmics; 03-07-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Oldmics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
darrell

the ranger and pacer were just an ugly ford nothing special about them.the two based on the merc were a little different.some early ones based on the ford had a coluum shift.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
Ford blue blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell View Post
the ranger and pacer were just an ugly ford nothing special about them
You know not of what you speak....

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #10
Frankenstein57

Oldmics, that is one fine wagon!
Frankenstein57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #11
Oldmics
BANNED

Thanks Frankie

Its a nice 10 footer and not a natural blond

Oldmics
Old 03-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #12
parklane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmics View Post
Mine

Oldmics

Very nice. The 2 door wagon was a very low production.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #13
teejay99

I decided to do a little research as to the rationale behind the Edsel ....looks like it took quite a while for ideas to make it to production ( for various reasons ) . Some years after the Edsel demise , I wondered who they were trying to target . Up here there was a distinct Ford market as well as a solid Mercury market . In Canada we also had the Monarch ( like a Merc ) and the Meteor ( like a Ford ) ...those two additional cars having mostly trim variations from their look-alikes . Where would the Edsel fit , especially up here ? It didn't .
Old 03-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #14
Oldmics
BANNED

The Edsel targeted marketing group was to transition buyers upwards from a Ford to the Edsel and eventually upwards to a Mercury.

Ford at the time felt there was a need for a vehicle that was not quite a Mercury in the terms of pricing and features.So the Edsel was born to capture that segment of the market.

Along with the real reason of the Edsel"s demise which was the financal recession of 1958,Edsel cars heavely loaded with such new options (such as seat belts) and other elaborate gizmos would far exceed a base priced Mercury.

Quite a mark in history.

Oldmics
Old 03-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #15
teejay99

Hindsight is 20-20 but it looks like the big shots had some infighting and blew it . I might be thinking in 2013 dollars , but the walk between the Ford and the Merc didn't seem to be a big deal back then .....why market an in between car ?

T
Old 03-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #16
Motorhead6

Roy Brown went forward to prove to the automotive world that he was a great automobile stylist. He was given credit for the English Ford Cortina which was one of the reasons that Ford of Europe was able to help keep Ford afloat during the lean years of Lee Iococoa.

"Out of the dust, the Phoenix rose." When the Edsel proved to be such a colossal failure, Ford got serious about customer survey. What they discovered was that what the public wanted was a car that came to be known as Mustang. Ironically one of the most successful cars even to this day was a direct result of the Edsel fiasco.

Many people attribute the Mustang to Lee Iococoa. This was largely due to the fact that Lee himself was eager to take the credit for it. Truth is that his part of the program was to be smart enough to approve the car that a couple of lead engineers at Ford had prototyped. This is according to the book "Ford, The Man And The Machine".

We all know the stories of Robert McNamara's great distaste for the Edsel and all of the negativity that surrounded the Edsel. I have a '58 Ranger. Any time I drive it, I get numerous honks and stares and compliments abound. Just my opinion, but I always thought the '58 was one of the most beautiful cars ever built. Apparently many people agree. The '59s and '60s were just another Ford.
Motorhead6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #17
teejay99

Interesting connection between the failed Edsel and the Mustang . I realized long ago that Lee Iacocca wasn't the only important person behind the Mustang but I guess they needed a "face" and he gladly played that roll to the hilt .
I was grabbed by the Mustang right away and it was my first new car in '68 . Wish I still had it !

T
Old 03-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #18
Motorhead6

[QUOTE=teejay99;Where would the Edsel fit , especially up here ? (in Canada) It didn't .[/QUOTE]

The Mercury was to be up-scaled (think of the '59 and later Mercs) and the Edsel was to fit in between the Ford and Merc. Trouble was that McNamara tried to sabatage the Edsel by growing the '57 and later Ford and T-Bird. He actually made the comment to an auto industry reporter when asked about his plans for the Edsel that he intended to "kill it as soon as possible". This was on the night of media introduction in 1957.

Some of the Edsel inovations in addition to those enumerated above were self adjusting brakes, self lubricating chasis, lots of HP (one of the complaints was that it had too much). The small engine had 400 Ft/Lbs of torque and the large one had 475. Look at today's hot rods and see how rarely they offer that kind of torque. The hot rod Hemi has something like 365 Ft/lbs!!! Of course most every option that you can imagine on today's cars were available in 1958!!
Motorhead6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #19
SSsssteamer

One thing about the Edsel that I never quite understood is that: When they announced the Edsel was being discontinued, "everyone that had purchased an Edsel during the preceeding years all got refunds because Ford said that their Edsel customers had been overcharged". I don't think that in today's business world that a refund would be made on those same grounds. What do you think?
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #20
Oldmics
BANNED

I have never heard about a refund situation.

There was a certificate offered in the amount of $300.00 as an enticement for Edsel owners to stay loyal to Ford after the Edsel"s demise.
This certificate could be redeemed upon the purchase of a new Ford vehicle.

Heres a link showing the certificate and associated letter along with a better explanation of the offering.

http://www.utterpower.com/fords-allo...-edsel-owners/

Oldmics