Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
rhphotord

Default Need some advice 66 Mustang

Here is my dilemma. I have a 66 Mustang convert. which I did a restoration on many years ago. Candy apple red, white top ,pony interior. Both my middle son and youngest sons drove it to high school and or college before the rebuild. The oldest son has no connection or interest in the car. My wife never really "loved" driving the car after it was done despite me installing power steering and disc brakes on it for her to make it more contemporary. Still no go with the wife, she'd rather have me drive. Now it is due for an engine rebuild and paint body touch up. Both sons want the car! Can't give to one, but not the other. Thinking of selling it outright to fund another hot rod build. Or the wife says, I sell to one and give the money to the other so he can buy another. Sons really want to keep the car in the family.
As a side note...have my 34 Ford hot rod I'd rather drive and tinker with so the Mustang has been sitting for over ten years in the garage and under cover. Been bumped by my sons tractor and generally a place to store things on.
Any insight?
rhphotord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
JohnSunliner

Default Re: Need some advice 66 Mustang

Can you title it to both sons and tell them they must share it?
JohnSunliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
rhphotord

Problem is one is in Ca. and other in Pa.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
darrell

sell it and spend the money on yourself.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
Ole Don

Next time all are together, explain the situation and flip a coin to see which gets the car.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
raceron1120

It's hard to choose between our children; no matter what the outcome, one or more will feel bad.

Recommend you give them some time (specify an exact time - not to exceed one, two weeks, etc. but hold to it, else it may drag on for years!) to discuss and resolve between them, and let you know.

If they can't or won't decide, advise that you will sell the car outright.

They will either thank you - or not.
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
Lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhphotord View Post
Here is my dilemma. I have a 66 Mustang convert. which I did a restoration on many years ago. Candy apple red, white top ,pony interior. Both my middle son and youngest sons drove it to high school and or college before the rebuild. The oldest son has no connection or interest in the car. My wife never really "loved" driving the car after it was done despite me installing power steering and disc brakes on it for her to make it more contemporary. Still no go with the wife, she'd rather have me drive. Now it is due for an engine rebuild and paint body touch up. Both sons want the car! Can't give to one, but not the other. Thinking of selling it outright to fund another hot rod build. Or the wife says, I sell to one and give the money to the other so he can buy another. Sons really want to keep the car in the family.
As a side note...have my 34 Ford hot rod I'd rather drive and tinker with so the Mustang has been sitting for over ten years in the garage and under cover. Been bumped by my sons tractor and generally a place to store things on.
Any insight?
================================================== ====

I would guess that each son would want you to sell it to the other son
as, the one who has to pay for the car is the ONLY one that will have any
skin in the game. The one who gets the money given to him, by the other
son, will have none of his own money in the car he buys.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
teejay99

Well , I can only say if it was me ( and it isn't ) sell the car , split the money between the two sons , and be done with it . On to the next project !

T
teejay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #9
paul2748

I would set a reasonable price and sell it to the son who wants to buy it. There is nothing in the book of Rules to be a Father that you have to give it away, especially if the sons are self sufficient.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #10
Oldmics
BANNED

It sounds as if the car is already parked in one of your sons garage.If so which son currently has the car in his garage?

Whichever that son is it already sounds as if he does not have much interest in the car now if he bashs into it with tractors and has it being used as a storage shelf.

If the current caretaker of the car is the older son and he already has no interest in it and is proving it by the care he now shows for the car-give it to the younger son who is asking for it.

If this current caretaker is the younger son,although he may want it ,it does not sound as if he is doing much to take care of the car now and probably wont do anything else differently in the future.

Do both sons have a garage to store a classic car?I would hate to see a car go to a home that cant take proper care of it.

If the car is in your garage -I would sell it-since it is mine to do with what I wish.

Sounds like a turf war between the kids.

Your mileage will vary.

Oldmics-No I dont watch Dr Phil

Last edited by Oldmics; 03-10-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Oldmics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
rhphotord

We moved here from the East coast several years a go. The car was in my oldest sons garage who stored the car for me . He has no real interest in the car and the fender bruise was unintentional and it is very minor. He wants to get it repaired but frankly the restoration is getting a bit tired. I did it about 17 years ago so it needs freshening up. The real problem is the two other sons that want it are on opposite coasts. Everyone's input is appreciated and I thank everyone that has weighed in. I expect I am not the only one dealing with these issues.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:15 AM   #12
frank long island

i would sell the car outright and fund another project if their has been no intrest up until now with the car or set a sum from the sale keeping the bulk for your project
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #13
Motorhead6

Keep the car. In a few years your interest will probably pique and you will appreciate it all the more after you retore it. When you ide, let the estate sell it and distribute the funds equitably to all three sons.
Motorhead6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #14
Fordestes

Advertise the car for sale and allow the children to purchase it fair and square , after all they will be an heir to your estate, I have a 65 2plus 2 and it has been passed around our family for forty years , I purchased it from my brother for the cost of the extra resto parts , he had let the car deteriorat and it now needs a major redo. I was planning on passing it and my pickup to my grandson and grand daughter, however there is conflict as to who gets what, so the vehicles will be sold at public sale and the children will be made aware of it in ample time as to have funding availabe. the funds will be part of the estate and will be divide equitably among all heirs.
therefore there will be no reason for any disputes among the heirs,in the event there
are no takers on the sale in the family , a portion will be donated to a worthy charity.
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote