Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-23-2019, 03:24 PM   #1
1930artdeco

Default Engine saga continues....

Ok engine gurus I need some advice. I went to lap the valves so took off the keepers (original style valves) and as a test I rocked the valves-and they rocked. So I decided to take them out as even I figured something was wrong. As I was taking out the springs several of the guides just fell out-not good. Eventually I got everything out and found some excessive wear on #1 E/I and #4E. So I am going to replace all of the valves and guides. The question is who makes the best quality original style valves, I know the guides are made offshore so I will need to get some new ones, a mix of standard and oversize. I can't install new style guides at this time, that is for the next engine.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3119.jpg (48.1 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3120.jpg (47.5 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3121.jpg (45.6 KB, 131 views)
Old 02-23-2019, 04:42 PM   #2
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Engine saga continues....

I think that Berts model A store in Colorado has sets of new old replacement stock valve guides . I use the original style stainless steel valves from Snyders . Some sell valves that are said to be stainless steel but turn out to be attracted by a magnet . I would avoid any valves that are attracted by a magnet because they aren't real stainless and generally don't last as long , in other words they burn easily .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:10 PM   #3
1930artdeco

Thanks Purdy. I emailed them and when I get done I will be good for another 5-10 years.

Mike
Old 02-24-2019, 01:01 PM   #4
katy

Quote:
Some sell valves that are said to be stainless steel but turn out to be attracted by a magnet . I would avoid any valves that are attracted by a magnet because they aren't real stainless and generally don't last as long, in other words they burn easily .
Not all stainless steel is non-magnetic, it depends on the alloy. Some of the magnetic SS is quite tough and resistant to wear.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:17 PM   #5
johnneilson

Before assembling, check the guide to seat alignment.
hard to tell, but the valve stems look to be worn on opposite sides, could be an alignment issue.

simple test, put guide in block and valve with no spring, valve should bounce off the seat if dropped. Assuming guide has proper clearance and valve is concentric. On that note, valves when new are assumed concentric, not always.

And yes, not all alloys of SS are not magnetic, typically martensic, hardenable SS is magnetic.

John
Old 02-24-2019, 01:53 PM   #6
daren007

Stainless steel is a soft metal. A stainless alloy can be attracted to a magnet. I am not an expert on metals but I would have to believe stainless valves are a alloy of some sort and would be attracted to a magnet.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:34 PM   #7
160B

FWIW
What stainless steel is magnetic?

Generally referred to as a 300 series, stainless steel that contains nickel is not magnetic at all. The reason is that the presence of the nickel alters the physical structure of the stainless steel and removes or inhibits any magnetic qualities.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=stainl...3d6a289ea91abc

The following types of stainless steel are typically magnetic:
Ferritic Stainless Steels such as grades 409, 430 and 439.
Martensitic Stainless Steel such as grades 410, 420, 440.
Duplex Stainless Steel such as grade 2205.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=magnet...FORM=QBRE&sp=1

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:29 AM   #8
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I think that Berts model A store in Colorado has sets of new old replacement stock valve guides . I use the original style stainless steel valves from Snyders . Some sell valves that are said to be stainless steel but turn out to be attracted by a magnet . I would avoid any valves that are attracted by a magnet because they aren't real stainless and generally don't last as long , in other words they burn easily .
Purdy, as a test, take a magnet to the SS cutlery in your kitchen and see what you find. I tried ours and most but not all of it is attracted to a magnet.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:23 PM   #9
Terry, NJ

There are more grades of stainless than you can shake a stick at! There's the Martensitic, Ferritic, and Austenitic , for one way of ID ing it. Then there's the 300 series and the 400 series. Then there's the type that they make guns out of and that is very hardenable. The 300 series is what most people think of when they hear stainless steel. It's the classic 18 , 8 non magnetic, non noncorrosive that you can bury out in the garden, dig it up a year later and it won't be touched by rust. then there's the 400 series that is used for some kitchen ware. Leave it out side and it will rust overtime.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:34 PM   #10
Purdy Swoft

I know that there are different types of stainless steel . Some grades are harder , Other grades are called stainless but can rust or be attracted by a magnet . I check the valves that I use in my engines with a magnet to make sure that they not attracted . I don't use valves that are attracted to a magnet because they are more effected by heat and burn quicker . The Ford script valves that were originally used in the model A engines were alloy and were NOT attracted by a magnet . Anybody can do whatever they want with their engine . This has been my experience .
Old 02-25-2019, 03:05 PM   #11
100IH

I leave the metallurgy to the experts, and most of them have been making engine parts and testing their products and their competition for years, many years. Then the Chinese copy the stuff. They build car engines too.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:52 PM   #12
jetmek

pretty sure the new valves and guides available come from Korea. Maybe pistons as well...all good quality parts in my opinion
Old 02-26-2019, 11:30 PM   #13
Purdy Swoft

If all parts were good , there would never be a problem .