Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-24-2019, 05:27 PM   #1
hoffernsp

Default 51 Merc brake hold down spring cups

Anyone have a new part number for the drum brake Hold Down Spring Bottom Cup? Original Ford part number is 2066.
thanks
hoffernsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:17 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: 51 Merc brake hold down spring cups

The original Ford part number was 26H-2006. That number indicates it started out on the post war Lincoln cars. My 1951 catalog indicates the number changed to a kit that included all the shoe hold down parts. It was part number 8M-22009 but they kept the basic part number reference for those cups through 1953 I believe.

Lincoln used Bendix type brakes before Ford & Mercury did so some of the parts continued with other Ford/Bendix designs including Ford pickups & trucks. They are listed as 25/32 inch OD.

C&G has a brake shoe hold down kit P/N B2A-2068-K that would likely work. The length of the pins would be the only question but the 2 1/64" pins were the same part number between pickups and Mercury cars. Hell, the F1 had the same rear axle as the Mercury cars with exception to the spring mounts.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:54 PM   #3
51 MERC-CT

Last time I needed them, NAPA had the kits plus just about all the components needed to rebuild the Bendix standard brakes.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:52 AM   #4
hoffernsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
Last time I needed them, NAPA had the kits plus just about all the components needed to rebuild the Bendix standard brakes.
Thanks
Old 04-25-2019, 08:52 AM   #5
hoffernsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The original Ford part number was 26H-2006. That number indicates it started out on the post war Lincoln cars. My 1951 catalog indicates the number changed to a kit that included all the shoe hold down parts. It was part number 8M-22009 but they kept the basic part number reference for those cups through 1953 I believe.

Lincoln used Bendix type brakes before Ford & Mercury did so some of the parts continued with other Ford/Bendix designs including Ford pickups & trucks. They are listed as 25/32 inch OD.

C&G has a brake shoe hold down kit P/N B2A-2068-K that would likely work. The length of the pins would be the only question but the 2 1/64" pins were the same part number between pickups and Mercury cars. Hell, the F1 had the same rear axle as the Mercury cars with exception to the spring mounts.
great I'll look for them
thanks
Old 04-25-2019, 05:10 PM   #6
hoffernsp

Quote:

Thanks, another question how about the brake cylinder link pins between the cylinder and shoes? I have Ford part number 2042 but can't find a match.
Any help?
Old 04-25-2019, 06:39 PM   #7
rotorwrench

The 8M-2042 was used for a long time on Mercury cars, Ford cars, and pickups up into the y-block era and likely beyond so their should be a lot of those out there. I think they even used them on the Mustangs in the 60s. They likely changed the part number in later years. I think it was B7A-2042-A.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 04-25-2019 at 06:50 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:18 AM   #8
hoffernsp

Quote:
The 8M-2042 was used for a long time on Mercury cars, Ford cars, and pickups up into the y-block era and likely beyond so their should be a lot of those out there. I think they even used them on the Mustangs in the 60s. They likely changed the part number in later years. I think it was B7A-2042-A.
thanks