Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-17-2018, 05:26 PM   #61
MrBruce

Default Re: 8 volt battery question

I thought it was great years ago when I saw Farm & Fleet had 8 volt batteries and so my touring friend and I both put them in our cars. The only problem we had was burning out bulbs. If we were running down the road and turned on the lights we blew some bulbs. We didn't run the 8 volt battery very long. Tired of putting bulbs in. Just my experience.
MrBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:48 AM   #62
Bob Wright

If your 6 volt system has been totaly checked out, such as: Generater output(a little over 6 volts,all electrical connections (batt. connections, must be snug, ground cable and safety fuse if you are using one?,) naturaly good 6v. battery. let use know how you make out, good luck. 8 volt batterys creat mor problems than they cure (my opinion only).
Bob
Bob Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:23 PM   #63
steve s

Tom, an actual electrician I gather, came closest to answering the original question: Why does more volts require fewer amps? I'll add my 2-cents worth.

Water flow/pressure is a common analogy used to explain electricity for folks who are are uncomfortable thinking about electrons and dealing with units of energy, etc.: Amps would be like the amount of water going over a water fall, while volts is like the height (or pressure) of the water fall. The amount of work the water fall can do for you depends on the combination: the more height you have, the less flow you need, and vice-versa.

In reality, amps is a measure of how much charge (such as electrons in wires) moves past a point in a second, and volts is the difference in energy per charge that the electrons have after traveling between two locations (such as battery terminals). The units of charge and energy involve funny words like coulombs and ergs, and there's no need to go into them here.

The point is, just as the amount of gravitational work you can get out of a waterfall depends on both the height and flow of the water fall, the amount of electrical work you can get out of a battery depends on both the voltage and amperage of the battery. And, thus, for example, the wiring in a 12V system doesn't have to be as heavy as in a 6v because only half as many electrons are going to have to make the journey from one terminal to the other to release the same amount of energy and do the same amount of work.

By the way, you might have noticed the key word, DIFFERENCE, in the definition of voltage: There is no such thing as the absolute voltage at some point; it always must be measured relative to the energy the electrons would have at some other point.

Last edited by steve s; 02-18-2018 at 09:53 PM.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:36 AM   #64
rocket1

I never had a problem starting the A,anywhere from 10 deg. on up.locate your problem or problems and rectify them,no bandaid 8 volt battery!
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:02 AM   #65
jhowes

I found out with my 53 Jeep that when you have an 8v Battery and are 2 miles from home in the middle of the night, the headlights going out can be concerning. Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:12 AM   #66
steve s

I don't understand how people could think that it would just be okay to take light bulbs that were designed for 6 volts and run them at 8 volts. Motors, like horns and starters maybe, but not white-hot filaments! Sure, they'll be nice and bright--for a while.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote