Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2019, 08:11 PM   #1
31 ford

Default Vintage clock repair ?

I have a vintage westclox clock in need of repair. It is a mechanical wind up and it looks great but only "ticks " for a couple of seconds. The entire clock is approximately 3 inches in diameter. It fits perfectly just to the left of the rear view mirror in my 31 coupe. Anyone aware of a clock repair person that is knowledgable but also trust worthy ? Thank you.
31 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:48 PM   #2
1930artdeco

Default Re: Vintage clock repair ?

Welcome to the barn. Your location would immensely, so that people near you might know of someone.

Mike
Old 05-26-2019, 04:45 PM   #3
burner31

I may just be in need of some light weight oil.
Check your phone book, plenty of qualified watch repair shops.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:43 PM   #4
31 ford

1930artdeco- i apologize, i did not realize my location did not show. I am in connecticut.
Burner31- i do use the phone book and web site search. I am looking for anyone who was satisfied customer and would not hesitate returning to that clock repair shop again if ever needed vintage clock repair service.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:28 AM   #5
katy

Try this: wind the clock up, but not too tight, while holding it face down rotate it back and forth gently a few times to get it running, if it continues running while face down lay it face down on a soft cloth and leave it until tomorrow, repeat daily for 3 or 4 days and then see if the clock will continue running in an upright position.
I've used this method on a few old clocks that had been sitting for a long time and it usually, but not always, works.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:54 AM   #6
whirnot

Sounds similar to a Westclox that was given to me by my brother in law, in Arizona. They only run for about 24 hours before needing wound, but keep good time. He does clock repair as a side business. If interested in someone that far away, I can give you his contact info.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:00 AM   #7
Mike the Grump

Sounds like you've already wound it. Don't overwind it and break the mainspring. I'm assuming that it ticks a few seconds and then stops when you wiggle the clock a little to "jump start" the movement. Is that correct?

If so, sounds like a good sign that is not seriously broken.

One of my youtube procrastination rabbit holes which keeps me from getting anything productive done in life is videos on watch and clock repair. I've yet to take one apart myself (need to accumulate a few more tools). My perception is that while they have been refined over the years the basics of a mechanical timepiece have not changed much in a very long time.

I'd call some of the local jewelers and ask if they can recommend someone who does watch repair or who can service a pocketwatch.

Only advantage I can see to finding someone who specializes in vintage auto clocks is if parts do need to be replaced, rather than just cleaned and lubed, they may have a better source for parts if they are different. I would expect that anyone taking on the job would consider that before accepting the work.
Mike the Grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:15 AM   #8
ronn

Guy on aaca does car clocks- has done them for yrs.

Sorry i dont have more info............. Very reasonable.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:24 AM   #9
ronn

[email protected]

here is his email- retired clock maker who only works on car clocks..........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:20 PM   #10
31 ford

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice. In several days i will post any results i have to share. Thank you.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:01 AM   #11
Kurt in NJ

To make clocks work for resale---many times I would wash the gears with wd40, then spray much like what is now called "mass airflow sensor cleaner" to remove excess, this usually loosened the dried up oil , and if the mainspring is exposed a drop or 2 of oil on the spring, this usually brought back a clock that responds like yours
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:19 AM   #12
31 ford

Received a quote from clock repair service of $250.00 so decided to try to repair myself. Ordered Horace Whitlock premium quality clock oil from Amazon. Took clock apart and cleaned internals with 70% rubbing alcohol and used that oil. It now is running fine. Has the old fashion "TicTic" sound. Cost $18.00 for the clock oil and that small bottle will probably be enough oil for 100's of clocks . Thank you all for your replies.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:47 AM   #13
77Birdman

There is a fellow in Minn (I think), goes by Jerrys clock works (maybe). Sorry for being vague but it has been a while since I used his service. He had about a week turn around time and was very reasonably priced.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:30 AM   #14
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 ford View Post
Received a quote from clock repair service of $250.00 so decided to try to repair myself. Ordered Horace Whitlock premium quality clock oil from Amazon. Took clock apart and cleaned internals with 70% rubbing alcohol and used that oil. It now is running fine. Has the old fashion "TicTic" sound. Cost $18.00 for the clock oil and that small bottle will probably be enough oil for 100's of clocks . Thank you all for your replies.
The "A" in Model A stands for "Do it yourself"

Don't ask me what it means, the voices in my head don't confide in me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7bf20e311716c9f6f50cd81baf7a91e6_400x400.jpeg (18.1 KB, 12 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:43 PM   #15
Forddan

I have an antique pocket watch collection. I sent my pocket watches to Paul. Check his prices on his site. I believe is now around $45 a Cleaning/oiling/timing.

His work is EXCELLENT and you can ship him the watch.

See card picture:

Forddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:08 PM   #16
RKS.PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
To make clocks work for resale---many times I would wash the gears with wd40, then spray much like what is now called "mass airflow sensor cleaner" to remove excess, this usually loosened the dried up oil , and if the mainspring is exposed a drop or 2 of oil on the spring, this usually brought back a clock that responds like yours

The windup clock in my '47 is one of the last things I'm trying to restore. I removed it last night and did a search here on the Barn, finding the post above. Having taken it out of the enclosure, it was wound up tight and has never worked. I was able to release the spring and wind it normally. Still would not run. So, soaked the parts in WD-40....Eureka!! was able to get it going. Yet another wonderful benefit of this Barn....and those of you who are a lot more talented than I am.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:57 PM   #17
Forddan

Smile Re: Vintage clock repair ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKS.PA View Post
The windup clock in my '47 is one of the last things I'm trying to restore. I removed it last night and did a search here on the Barn, finding the post above. Having taken it out of the enclosure, it was wound up tight and has never worked. I was able to release the spring and wind it normally. Still would not run. So, soaked the parts in WD-40....Eureka!! was able to get it going. Yet another wonderful benefit of this Barn....and those of you who are a lot more talented than I am.
It will work for a while, but WD40 will dry and eventually the watch will stop. At least place some watch oil drops on all the movement. Very cheap that oil at Amazon.

Just a suggestion
Forddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:39 PM   #18
Peyton

Dear 31 Ford

My antique Westclock auto clock is sitting boxed in the house after having failed to work following an $80.00 repair by a "reputable" clock repair person 10 to 15 years ago. Wow, $250 --- that's a lot even with inflation.

I believe that Westclock was a pretty cheap brand back in the old days. I finally located a good clock repair person who inspected my clock and told me that it was just plain worn out. The gears were worn so bad that it would only function for a few minutes after vigorous shaking. I did screw up the mainspring by trying to "customize" it but the repair guy said not to feel bad about that because the rest of the clock was toast.

I've kept it because the case is so nice. it'd be great if someone could come up with a modern battery movement to fit in the case.

I believe that most of the old Westclocks are just plain worn out and no amount of oil is going to get them to work.

I hope that you have a fixable one and wish you good luck on your project.

Peyton
Peyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:40 AM   #19
katy

I have an old Westclox "Noranda" automotive clock w/a magnet on the back for sticking it to the dash. It looks like a pocket watch except that the stem is at 6 o'clock, not 12 o'clock. Made in Canada. It seems to run better when it's stuck to a piece of metal and it's upright.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Westclox.jpg (60.9 KB, 9 views)