Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
Kentf1003

Default fuel sending unit

I have a new 40 Ford replacement tank from "Tanks." It's even made in the USA. My only problem to resolve now is how to use my new (Macs) 6v - 6 hole sending unit. The new tank has a smaller sending unit outlet and only 5 threaded holes. I'm sure I'm not the first to face the situation. How do Barners dance to that tune? Thanks.
Kentf1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: fuel sending unit

I drilled and retapped the "TANKS" tank to accomodate the original sending unit.
But you can also buy an adapter plate. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1935-1...pter,5865.html But you could also make your own.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
34flathead

i took my new sending unit with 6 holes and marked the plate with the 5 hole gasket, drilled it, after a few fitment adjustments it bolted down fine.
rich
34flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:43 PM   #4
Lawson Cox

Don't you wish these folks who "reproduce" old parts would make them exact where everything would fit. P_ _ _ _ _ me off big time.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:13 AM   #5
TJ

You can buy a sending unit from Yogi's that will fit the new tank and work with your 40 gauge.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:00 AM   #6
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
You can buy a sending unit from Yogi's that will fit the new tank and work with your 40 gauge.
What sending unit? Are you sure it will really work with the stock gauge? I ask because the stock 40 gauge works on heating a bi-metallic strip that has to work in conjunction with the stock sending unit. Have you used it?
Thanks, JIM
Old 11-03-2010, 11:36 AM   #7
rotorwrench

Researching the Datcon sender that Yogi's sells calls out a 73-10 Ohm unit. According to the available information that is 73 Ohms empty and 10 Ohms full. I have never experimented with a Ford gauge to see how it would work with a resistance unit. In theory it will but what resistance level will bend the strip to different levels is an unknown to me. Accuracy would also be in question. Considering all else that's available, it might be worth a try.

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:31 PM   #8
Don

dont know about a 40 but my 36 has a set on points and a restior of some kind in the sending unit. still dont know how it works. ive asked before. DP I dont see a a moving ohms device could work.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:35 PM   #9
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
dont know about a 40 but my 36 has a set on points and a restior of some kind in the sending unit. still dont know how it works. ive asked before. DP I dont see a a moving ohms device could work.
Blown49 explains how sending unit works in this thread.49-51 Merc operate the same as the early Ford sending units using a bimetallic strip that heats up and cools off in conjunction with the stock gauge.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...k+sending+unit
Old 11-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #10
rotorwrench

Rather than a variable resistance device that is more common now, they used a variable current device. It works more similar to a voltage regulator. It was a good reliable system but no one makes any reproductions of it so now we have to make due with what ever will work, if it will work.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:42 PM   #11
gmc1941

Did you purchase a tank with the same amount of gallons? If you use the adapted plate you will have to make a small allowance for the increase in height. When your drilling the holes make sure the position of the sending is correct. Good Luck Gordon

Nothing in life is to be feared; it is only to be understood.
gmc1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:35 PM   #12
Flat Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
What sending unit? Are you sure it will really work with the stock gauge? I ask because the stock 40 gauge works on heating a bi-metallic strip that has to work in conjunction with the stock sending unit. Have you used it?
Thanks, JIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Rather than a variable resistance device that is more common now, they used a variable current device. It works more similar to a voltage regulator. It was a good reliable system but no one makes any reproductions of it so now we have to make due with what ever will work, if it will work.
A variable resistance unit WILL work with the original gauge. I don't remember the resistance range that works (70-140 springs to mind, but...). What you're doing is averaging the current through the circuit instead of full-on, full-off with the original chopper circuit.

All of my 12V converted cars have 6V CVRs running the gauges and all have modern sending units from Mac's (variable resistance) and all are very accurate and reliable. I'm too tired to explain it tonight, but there were several threads on the old barn where I explained how/why it worked...

T5 Tech
Flat Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:36 AM   #13
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Ernie View Post
A variable resistance unit WILL work with the original gauge. I don't remember the resistance range that works (70-140 springs to mind, but...). What you're doing is averaging the current through the circuit instead of full-on, full-off with the original chopper circuit.

All of my 12V converted cars have 6V CVRs running the gauges and all have modern sending units from Mac's (variable resistance) and all are very accurate and reliable. I'm too tired to explain it tonight, but there were several threads on the old barn where I explained how/why it worked...
Thanks Ernie,
When you get a chance please post the info on " where I explained how/why it worked" regarding the gas gauge and sending unit. Your tech stuff is always excellent and much appreciated by all. Your VOLT guage info is "golden."Thanks, JIM
Old 11-04-2010, 10:35 AM   #14
FL&WVMIKE

Lawson Cox .......................
These vendors that are reproducing these parts are making them for the street rodders, who don't want to use the old original senders, etc. Perhaps, they buy more of the tanks than the restorers.
Of course, they will sell you an adapter plate.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:31 PM   #15
Flat Ernie

I did several searches of the archives, but no combination of search terms would produce the old threads...bummer.

I'll try to write it all down again...short version is the bi-metallic strips bend based on heat generated by current. The stock stuff "regulates" the current by going on-off-on-off with a full 6volts. The variable resistance units work by changing the resistance which changes the overall current. So instead of "averaging" 6V & 0V by opening/closing a specific number of times in a second, the variable resistance senders just lower the voltage.

T5 Tech
Old 11-04-2010, 08:46 PM   #16
Kentf1003

The sendor for old Fords, advertised by YOGI (made in Budapest, Hungary) appears to swing from a round shaft at the bottom of the tank, instead of swinging from the top like the old Fords. (Their resistor sits at the bottom of the tank and the float/arm extends out and up.) You have to shorten the round shaft to fit the height of your tank, they say (ranges from 6-24 inches). They also say that since fuel tank senders only read resistance to ground, theirs work on all 6-24 volt systems, positive or negative. Their resistance is 73 ohms on empty and 10 ohms on full. For what it's worth.
Kentf1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:23 PM   #17
ajohn

On my 49 Ford pickup,I ordered Dolphin guages and sending unit.Same problem;six holes v/s 5 holes.They sold me an adapter ring that was very pricey and leaked between the adapter and the tank,making one Hell of a gas smell in the cab. James
ajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:26 AM   #18
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
Lawson Cox .......................
These vendors that are reproducing these parts are making them for the street rodders, who don't want to use the old original senders, etc. Perhaps, they buy more of the tanks than the restorers.
Of course, they will sell you an adapter plate.
MIKE
Then they should not advertise that it works with original style gauges.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:08 PM   #19
Flat Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
Then they should not advertise that it works with original style gauges.
But they can work with original gauges...if the resistance range is correct. I cannot remember that range and none of my senders are out of the tank available for me to test at the moment.

T5 Tech
Old 11-05-2010, 08:18 PM   #20
Mr.34

'Tanks' specializes in street rod use. They are one of the best available and I have one in poly which I love as they have a anti 'slosh' baffle and a lot of extra gas capacity. I would call Tanks first. They are very helpful and will tell you the easist sollution.
Mr.34 is offline   Reply With Quote