Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
bloodyknucklehill

Default What made you a "Ford" guy?

Just thought it'd be a fun thread to kick off the new, Re-Vamped, FordBarn..

My blue oval love affair started with stories I was told sitting on my Da's knee.. My favorite was the one about Grand Torino my Mild mannered Aunt ended up driving.. She is not a gearhead by any means but by some dumb luck always ends up with really cool cars that get driven like a Grandma would all the time.. This particular one turned out to be a totally nutted out 351 Cleveland model with full length headers, ported and polished heads, some type of aftermarket cam, and an Eddy high-rise manifold with a 750 carb and a posi-track 9", with glasspacks exiting behind the rear wheels that her and her husband at the time had bought from a junkyard auction with no idea what it had under the hood.. My Dad sure as hell did once he checked it out after they bought it.. Well my dad had to to take dear ol' auntie to work one day but insists on driving there and back.. So my old man, being the speed demon that he is, decides to bust the cobwebs loose from this street-beast on the trip.. They go through a couple of long straights with dad reving it and smoking tires in the middle of town, aunt screaming to "SLOW DOWN" the whole way.. Then Pops comes to a stopsign that pulls out onto a road that banks heavily to the left.. So just as dear old auntie is catching her breath Dad punches it, turning the car completely sideways, nose pointed at the left lane fog-line, and holding a sideways drift for about 200 feet till the turn-in for her works' parking lot.. The nose of the car was pointed left and the turn-in for the parking lot was on the right, so dad whips it around really fast and slides into the parking lot, as my aunt was clawing at the door.. A few of her male co-workers, who were outside BSing before they headed into work, were clapping and hooting as she got out of the car, but dad was never allowed to drive her car again.. A couple of months later she sold the car and last I heard of it someone put it in a ditch and totalled it.. Maybe that's why I tend to lean towards Fords or maybe not but it's one of the things I think briefly think about every time I hear the word "Ford" and maybe the reason that the first car I bought was a Ford.. My youth was filled stories of automitive debauchery such as this so it's no wonder i turned into the completely car crazy man I am today.. To this day, through the generational barrier that can often exist between father and son and the family qualms and problems that sometimes drive families apart, the one thing my Father and I can always talk about is cars..

Well how bought your guys' stories now?
bloodyknucklehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
28RPU

Default Re: What made you a "Ford" guy?

I am mostly a Ford guy I guess because my dad was one.That is all he ever owned except for a short period when he bought a 59 Chevy truck and promptly got rid of it and bought a 65 Ford truck.He said they just feel better to him.My first realization of car awareness was my dad's 49 Ford coupe.I think it had glass packs on it because I thought it was a souped up car from the sound of the little flathead.He got drunk and wrecked it one night and then bought a 50 Merc 2dr for $75.That was in 1955 and he could barely afford it.In 56 he bought a 55 Ford 2dr wagon that I learned to drive in.When he wore it out he went down to the Ford dealer and bought the only car he ever bought new, a 1967 Fairlane hardtop that I helped pick out.I liked it so well that the first car I bought with my money was a 66 Fairlane 390/4speed.I still have his 67 Fairlane with 70,000 original miles on it.I like all brands of cars,but like my dad, a Ford just "feels right".
28RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:37 AM   #3
Bob 37

I guess the day I became a Ford guy was in the summer of 1960 while sitting on a bench on Main St. with some friends, (none of us able to legally drive yet) just watching the cars go by. At one point one of the older guys turned on to Main St. with his black and white '56 Ford Customline Victoria hardtop with a newly installed '58 Ford 352 "Police Interceptor" motor, straightened out and "punched it". The car squatted in the rear and proceeded to smoke the tires through 1st gear and half-way through 2nd!
Yep, I think that was what did it.
I eventually went on to own that very car and his subsequent '62 406/405 Galaxie tudor sedan.
Bob 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:57 AM   #4
Frank The Plumber

I am a Ford guy because I did not want to be just another follow in line GM automobile hump, I rebelled. I got a lot of crap for it too, poop on em.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:16 AM   #5
40cpe

For me, it comes from what was cool in the 50's. GMs and Chryslers had 6 cylinder engines and there was no way an Olds was in our budget. The shoebox Ford V8s with duals was where it was at, and still is with me.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:09 PM   #6
Bob/Pa

MY DAD, started me out with a shoebox 1949 ford in 51 then in 52 got a 1951 convertible customized it and same year got 1934 5 window coupe, sold the 51 still have the 34.
Bob/Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #7
middletown

My dad was a Chevy guy, his first car was a 1960 Corvette that he purchased in 1963. He sold the Vette months later when he was drafted. We had a Black 58 Bel Air and an Olds when I was very young but Dad really was not and is not a car guy. He would work on them when he had to but not because he wanted to and other than the Vette he has never had another "fun" car. I am not sure were I get my lust for automobiles but I been that way my whole life. I consider myself a Ford guy but given the financial ability my collection would be much more eclectic; think Jay Leno type collection with more muscle cars. That said when I was 16 (1983) my neighbor was selling a 1957 Chevy Bel Air hot rod that had a 283, a Saginaw 4 spd and Cragars all jacked up on air shocks to clear the fat white letter bias plys and I wanted it badly. Though I had multiple jobs I had no $'s saved and dad was not going to lend me the 1500.00 it would take to buy the car; if I wanted a car I had to pay for it and all the other expenses related to it. Several months later my BMX bike, where I had always dumped my money, got stolen and I received a $300.00 check from our homeowners insurance. Within a week I noticed a car in the teacher’s parking lot for sale for $300.00. It was a Colgate green, think pastel, 1968 Mercury Montego MX. After a brief negotiation I got it for $100.00 and all of a sudden I was a ford guy. I had many cars over the next few years but I always kept the Merc. As a kid on the cruising seen your car was your identity and in a sea of Chevelles and Mustangs the Montego stood out as different. I helped a buddy in ROP body shop do some minor body work and we stripped off some trim and them I had it sprayed Black. I drag raced the car in the late eighties and went though several small blocks. I did eventually sell the car when I went back to college in my late 20’s. By that time I had built my first 64 Galaxie so the Merc had been sitting and I had no safe place to store it. Some day I would like to build another Montego or Cyclone but I will have to wait. Now we have a Model A and I have my 64 Galaxie Convertible and I am working on a 1970 Crew Cab F-250 4x4 to use as our horse hauler. Kids and house payments make progress slow but I’ll keep at it.

Thanks,

Joe
middletown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #8
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by middletown View Post
I am not sure were I get my lust for automobiles but I been that way my whole life.
Thanks,

Joe
We must be born with it. My now just 2 yr old grandson was infatuated with wheels since he was a baby. When he was crawling he would study the wheels on his highchair. A little older, before he could stand alone, he would prop up at the coffee table and push a hotwheels type car and study it as the wheels broke over the edge. To this day he will carry 3 cars in each hand and has literally dozens of them. He walks around cars and pats the various parts as his mother tells him the part names. I'm boring you, but you get the picture...
Old 07-29-2010, 09:30 PM   #9
Lamar Wadsworth

My father worked for Ford (Atlanta Assembly Plant, 1952-82), and he believed that he ought to drive what he helped build. My mother worked for Goodyear (Rockmart GA plant), so we had Fords with Goodyear tires on them. Learned to drive on a '55 Fairlane Town Sedan, 272 and 3 on the tree, still have the car and working on getting it back on the road. My parents bought the car new at Drake Motor Co. here in Rockmart GA.
Lamar Wadsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:54 AM   #10
Ole Don

I love all cars, but old Fords just seem to follow me home. Just sold the hot rod, a 27 R/P with a 286 flathead that guys here on the barn helped with. Current car is the 55 Club Sedan bought in 1996. The wife says that one will stay forever. It currently has a fresh 312 that may get run at Bonneviile in the street stock class in September. Stay tuned for results, or read about it in Y Block Magazine
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:12 PM   #11
fordy_nine

I agree with 40cpe, being a car guy is a genetic trait passed down through generations. Being a Ford guy was partly because my extended family was into Fords and racing. My dad had a '40 tudor when I was little, next car was a '50 shoebox, both cars were the best designs of their respective eras to my eye. I had a love for the model T from my early teens because my uncle had raced them in cornfields in the Twenties and Thirties. I got my hands on anything automotive from the library and read all the car mags my dad brought home. I couldn't have turned out any other way....Bob L
fordy_nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:46 PM   #12
Retro Jim

I have owned Chevy's , Olds , Pontiac's , Corvairs , Chrysler , Dodge Super Bee and Fords . They all have their good side and their bad sides but I still enjoy my Fords the most . I have a 55 Ford , 49 Ford & 50 Ford right now . I rebuild Ford engines allot and work mostly on Fords . What can I say , I am a Ford guy with Blue Blood !
My parents , grandparents and even my uncle all had Fords . My uncle never owed anything but a Ford in his whole life ! They are just well built cars and very dependable !
That's my story and I am sticking with it !

Jim
Retro Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:19 PM   #13
raceron1120

Well according to 'legend', I was brought home in a '51 Ford panel truck, my first memories included standing between mom & dad in '53 Ford panel while looking out the windshield. I still remember dad coming down our long driveway in his new '57 F100 pickup. . . and mom's new '60 Galaxy....and big brother's first car - a '53 Mainline.... and his first new one - a '63 Galaxy...and his '65 Mustang. Sis' and bro in-law's new '62 Monteray, then a new '65 Cyclone. . . and so it's been through the years.

I deviated a couple times when younger, I don't know what came over me but I had a '70 Satellite convertible (nice to look at but very high maintenance) and a '69 Malibu 350 (it was okay, but heck it was just another SBC). I returned to the blue oval. And with little exception have been there ever since. Sold Ford parts for several years in the 70s and 80s. My current DD is a '05 Tundra - for reasons I won't go into here. But I will likely be getting a new F150 4x4 within the next few months, it'll be my 8th Ford pickup in the last 40 years.
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:07 PM   #14
Clem Clement

Daddy bought 25 straight new Fords from our local ACE Ford. Daddy had gone to HS with the owner. Mother got his trade ins. I grew up riding on the fold down junp seats in a 41 coupe. My first car was a 40 Merc 4 door convert. Now I have 2 Model A's and a '39 peeekup.
clem
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:23 PM   #15
A Chopped Coupe

I wasn't born into Ford's like most of the guys here, I started out with Chevy's, 52Htp with Corvette 6cyld with tripower, 56 Chevy...............I started drag racing with SS/IA 67 Camaro...................While at the Woodburn drag strip a guy approached me and asked if I wanted to sell my car.......................long story short....................the money was right and I sold it. While looking for a replacement I heard about an old drag racer who had a 427 Galaxie..................a lot of my friends who were Chevy guys told me I was crazy to go look at the car and it put me in the poor house to race it competitively.......................I went to look at the car and really liked the body style.................I bought the car and Larsen/King went through the 67 High Rise motor...............raced the car for a couple of years and sold it to buy a 68-1/2 428 Cobra Jet Mustang.............Oh..............the car I sold..............it was a factory lightweight 63-1/2 427 Galaxie.............and I have been Ford from that fateful day back in 1977.
Here is a picture of my car today...........still into drag racing........still have a Ford................the car has been a drag car since running at the
1979 Winternationals at Pomona...................still runs strong and straight!
First picture is from 1980 at the Fremont drag strip, next is in my driveway this year, next is the burn out box at Redding drag stip and the last is of the sticker from the 1979 Winternationals.
You just have to love these Fords!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MavFreemontEM.jpg (53.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IM001796.jpg (110.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg burnoutatthebox-2.jpg (38.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 1979Winternationals.jpg (38.8 KB, 23 views)
A Chopped Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:02 PM   #16
fordman

I think the main thing that made me a ford man was an option to buy a C*****, think about it! I was 14 with $30 and my option was a model A or a '30 C****. easy decision.

when I was 17, I bought a wrecked '40 and a '40 with good chassis, so I switched bodies and added a few essentials like twin carbs, headers, alum heads, columbia OD, fender skirts, an auto 45 rpm record player in the glove compartment (changed to a 6 volt motor w/rheostat), etc. the 45 only worked when parked. so I was a ford man with V-8 engine; no C**** for me.
fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:21 PM   #17
THR1LL3R

Grandpa.
THR1LL3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:31 AM   #18
Merlin

I can't really say I'm strictly a "Ford Guy" I'm usually a equal opportunity car brand lover... Well maybe not Mopars too much but my grandfather was the Dodge person and my Dad the Chevy person. For me I started out with Ford and bounced back and fourth between Chevy and Ford for years with the occasional Pontiac mixed in,These days it's pretty much Ford.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:25 PM   #19
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

Being poor I guess.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:10 PM   #20
37 Coupe

I think the Model A made me a Fordman,when I bought a 1930 roadster that was just 33 years old noticeing how many survived. Also what I always liked about the Ford product was its history,how you can relate the products to a man ,Henry, Edsel and his sons,even Iococca and the Fords today. Hard to put a face to GM for me ,Durant? Ransom Olds ? Mayby different for Chevy guys, I kinda liked Pontiacs in the 60's,GTO's and John Delorean at the time.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:51 PM   #21
Chalupa55

My dads a Ford man, my grandfather was a Chevy man. It was always fun giving each other a hard time. My first car was an 73' El Camino and even though my dad didn't want me to get it he said ok the boys gotta learn a lesson some how. That car was a nightmare. Lesson learned!!!

My second car was my 55' Country Sedan that I still have (waiting patiently for her time), I drove this car everywhere 10,000 miles the first year,the car had 170,000 on it when I got it with only having new bearings and a re-ringing in the 80's. Burned a qt. of oil every 100 mi. if you gave to much throttle you'd have a blue cloud the size of Texas behind you. Even burning so much oil I never had one problem with this car other than replacing the front crossmember, can't say the same about the El Camino.

I'm a fan of all the BIG 3, but Fords are it for me. I inherited my grandfathers 58' Impala and these are beautiful cars, but after disassembling it and my 55' you can see the differences between the two. Examples would be thickness in steel for frames, size and amount of bolts used, wheel stud sizes. Now I'm not saying there bad cars, my granfathers cars/trucks never gave him major problems, I just don't think there as well built.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:26 PM   #22
junkyardjeff

When I was born I was brought home in a 55 sunliner so I guess that done it,still have the 55 and have had other brands but I know Fords the best. Of the GM brands I do like Oldsmobiles the best.
junkyardjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:16 PM   #23
lucky

I think it was the sound of the old Ford Flathead exaust and the way they would start almost before you could get your finger off the starter button.

The 1938 Ford cpe starts the same way all these years later.

I have had other brands but always come back to Ford.

The Fords I have at this time include, 1928 rdster, 1938 cpe, 1956 T-bird, 1966 Bronco, 1976 Bronco, 1978 F-150, 1978 F-250, 1990 Mustang conv.,1994 Mustang Cobra, 2000 F-250, 2005 F-150 KR.

If I had more room proly would have more, I think it is an ilness?

Always wanted a 32 and have just missed buying a couple, afraid I am running out of time to own my dream 32 but i like them all.

marvin
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #24
photopete

My Dad retired from the navy in the fall of 1955. He bought a Left over 54 Pontiac 4 door with a straight 8 and automatic trans
from a neighbor who owned a Pontiac dealership.
Two months later he sold the Pontiac and brought home a brand new 55 Ford Victoria.
The car was Raven black and goldenrod yellow two tone. Car had the 272 with optional power pack and Fordomatic.
Interior was yellow and black vinyl with buttons that got stuck on your belt and pulled out.
The car also had power windows which on any day 3 of the 4 worked pretty good.
My Mom took one look at that yellow and black Victoris and swore she wouldn't be caught dead driving it.
My older brother had his license and in no time we put on Glass pack mufflers , and a
continental rear wheel.
I got my license in 57 and by that time we had put in a rolled and pleated black interior with yellow trim.We split the cost $70.
A pair of 57 Mercury turnpike cruiser skirts and a rear speaker for the radio.
I had the best time with that car and can still remember cruising in the Vic.
I wrecked the car in 1961 and swore I would find another one. It took 52 years.
photopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:03 PM   #25
Hivolt5.0

I must have inherited my Ford addiction from my Dad as that is all we had growing up. My Dad taught my how to work on/repair cars while I was growing up and I spent many a late night with him fixing a car so he could drive it to work the next day. Admittedly I think my car addiction exceeded his; my Dad enjoys classic cars but he doesn't enjoy working on them like I do.

In comparing Fords to other makes, I like and appreciate a variety of cars but I always seem to come back to Fords and Mercurys. Recently I've had the opportunity to restore a '48 F4 for a gentleman I know (I'm still working on it) and help another friend work on his '50 F1 and just last year I purchased a '57 Ranchero from 40cpe (Thank you) and my kids love it. My daughter enjoys riding in it and she always sits right next to me and I hope my boys will catch the car bug so we can work on it together.

There's just something "magical" about the classic Ford and Mercury cars and trucks. They just have a class that today's cars just don't have.
Hivolt5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #26
skip
Banned

My Dad always bought Fords and when he drifted off the reservation to another brand he was always sorry. Plus he sold millions of $ of paintline equipment to Ford and their suppliers with his partners while still serving as a weekend worrier in the Navy. A span of 33 years. From 1933 to 1966.

skip.
skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:13 PM   #27
40cpe

Hi Dave !! Welcome, I'm glad yo jumped in.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #28
Hivolt5.0

Thanks! It's been fun perusing the board and trying to soak up all of y'all's knowledge. :-)
Hivolt5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:57 PM   #29
roccaas

3rd Generation Georgia Tech. We've got an old Ford 'ya know!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MV and Claire with 'Reck.JPG (145.1 KB, 17 views)
roccaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:26 AM   #30
LOWRIDER

My Dad worked at the same Ford dealer for 33yrs. They had to make him retire (although he really did need to). I used to go to work with him on saturdays and hang around him & all the guys starting when I was about 8 or 9. Was the first one in the neighborhood to see the new Mustang, drooled over all the hot rod FE's (my old man hated hot rods though) and ended up working there when I turned 18. That was 43 yrs ago, been a long ride.
LOWRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:48 AM   #31
Ray Parson

my 1st hot rod was a 34 plymouth 5wd coupe 1961 its been all ford from then on mosty 32/34 i now have 9 -32/34 and 14 -26/31 its got a hold on me and theres no meds HELP i have no place left to work no im not sick just in love. my 1st love is my wife of 47 years 2nd my famley 3rd all my steel kids
Ray Parson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:25 AM   #32
billwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Clement View Post
Daddy bought 25 straight new Fords from our local ACE Ford. Daddy had gone to HS with the owner. Mother got his trade ins. I grew up riding on the fold down junp seats in a 41 coupe. My first car was a 40 Merc 4 door convert. Now I have 2 Model A's and a '39 peeekup.
clem
Was the Ace Ford dealership owend by The Eastlack famly in Woodbury New Jersey?
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #33
Barry B./ Ma.

My dad was an accountant so he didn't seem to care about Fords when I was young. when I first got my license I bought dad's 35 Plymouth from him because of the price but always envied my friends with their Fords with dual Hollywood exhausts. After a couple more Plymouths I bought my first Ford. It was a 5year old early 49 tudor and that was followed by four other shoebox Fords and two of my favorites, a 53 Merc. Monterey and a 56 Merc. Montclair. They were the greatest and after all this time I still have a 97 Escort and two Model A's in the garage. I've pretty well stuck with them since 1954.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:24 AM   #34
Daves55Sedan

Never owned anything but Fords. My first car (pictured here) a 55 Ford sedan I bought at age 16 for $525 in 1972. I broke every piggy bank I had to buy that car and pay for insurance. I worked after school and weekends just to have gas and save money for the next insurance premium. I loved the look of that particular model. I thought it had a lot of style. Always wanted to own a 2dr Victoria hardtop. In '96 I ran across the shell of a '55 Courier sedan delivery and spent the next four years restoring it all with '55 Ford parts. Although it came from the factory with a 272V8 (which was gone) I put a 223 I 6 with a Fordomatic in it as an experiment in economizing. Ford trucks are the greatest quality especially in recent years. I have had a few new ones and keep em for about 7 years. Now I have a 2007 F150 white work truck. Dont drive it much though. Chances are good that if I am driving something, its one of those old 55's.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #35
ctfortner

Only the fact that the first car I owned was my 1956 mainline that my dad and I restored starting when I was 14 and then I drove it during high school.

But honestly I never was a "ford guy" before that, heck I like em all. Still do. Years ago I always asked why he didnt save me the malibu or 57 chebby. Love my car though!
ctfortner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:03 PM   #36
Paul's Garage

Smile Re: What made you a "Ford" guy?

My first car was a 30 model A tudor that I still have, hasn't ran for years, but some day (familiar huh). My older brother and I owned a a 57 Fairlane 4 door with a 312 T-bird, and sweetest set of dual pipes you ever heard. My next Ford was a 59 Fairlane 500 Galaxie,292, with the big automatic, could not tear that comb up bullet proof. Traded it was a 5 year old 63 Galaxie 500 with a 406 T-bird engine ran strong buy couldn't afford it and college too, so I sold it and bought a 59 Merc Montclair 2 dr hardtop with a 430 Lincoln turnpike cruiser,that was a fast ride well over 130 mph. Wasn't city cop in 3 counties that could stay with it top end, snapped the oil pump shaft one night doing about 110, was working 10-12 hours a day 6 days a week and couldn't afford to take the time off to fix it so I sold it and got another 63 Ford Galaxie, this was a 2door with a 352,2 barrel, and a ford-a-matic. It was rough, a buddy and I repainted it, worked on the transmission some, and the old baby ran like a tank,dual straight pipes off a Lincoln, did some terrible things to that car, from a rolling start about 30 mph I blew the doors off a 64 impala with a 300hp 327 4 speed, of course he had 4 other guys in his car and wasn't much of a driver, but his old man ran the chevy dealership, and I paid $150.00 for my old 63, same time I was working on and trading cars and ended up up a 62 fairlane 2 door sedan with a 260 V8, and a three speed. I put in 64 sport coupe interior, and a floor shift, neat little car but the little v8 was really worn, so I sold it and the 63 Galaxie to a guy who sold cars. And bought a 65 Ford Custom 2door,it was a used Hiway Patrol car with about 90,000 on it, it had a high-performace 390 ,old car was cruiser on the highway!! It was 50 miles on the turnpike to go home from college and I always made it in half an hour or less. Wrecked it twice kept beating the frame out and putting fenders back on. Sold it with 126,000 miles on it when I got out of college.
Lost my head owned some other brands and finally got back to my Fords,
had a 63 Econoline Pickup neat little truck, hauled some terrible loads with it when I was doing carpenter side jobs, great gas mileage but no heat in the winter. Got an 81 F-150, first of 4 with 300 six cylinders, owned by myself and my son, darn engines were bullet proof ;keep oil and water in them , they would run over 200,000 miles and give decent gas mileage.I had a 77 F-250 Supercab with a 460 V8 out of a Missouri state patrol car, darn thing would pass anything on the road but a gas station, if I really watched I could get about 12mpg. with it.
Owned several new Mercs, and Fords since. Running a Ford 500 car and a F-150 supercab now and love em. Yup guess I am a Ford man.
Paul's Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:30 PM   #37
Barry Wolk

Hi, new here. Just bought my first Ford, although I own other Ford products.

My father doesn't know which end of a screwdriver, so I didn't get it there. Mom had a '54 Vicky with see-through doors and floor pans. When they stepped up my father bought Lincolns in the early '70s. He had a '70 Town coupe with a naked roof in double black. Put Red Lines on it. It looked like Darth Vader's car.

I started collecting things with the Continental name when a '77 Town Car in triple black, 25 years old with under 13,000 miles, stalled in front of my home. Then came the Mark II, then the Chris Craft Continental, '55 Porsche Continental and several other Lincoln Continentals including a limo and a Mark III convertible.

The Continental tie in with the Ford truck is the beautiful "Continental" style grill on the '41.

Barry Wolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:52 AM   #38
jdj9410

GM taking my Tax money.
jdj9410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:17 PM   #39
lucky

Why is it you always se just one more you want?

marvin
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:36 PM   #40
Hot Rod Reverend

I haven't posted on here much, I usually spend way too much time over on the Y block forum or over on Ebay.

I got into Fords when I was 16 too. My first car was a 55 Club Sedan. That was in 1990. Everybody else my age was going after Mustangs, Camaros, or those low-rider trucks. Not me, I had to have an old Ford. I fell in love with the car the first day I saw her down in North Carolina -- just 2 miles from where my great Uncles kept their own stash of 55 and 56 Ford Crown Victorias and Sunliners.

Of course my dad fueled the flames by telling me about his first car, a 56 Ford Customline hardtop, that he bought when he was 16. His car was actually sitting on the showroom floor of a DODGE dealership at the time in 1966! It was a redone moonshine car in the hills of NC. 312, two 4 barrels, all of the go fast goodies, and from what his buddies, our relatives, and even the preacher has said - it was the car to beat in Mt. Airy, NC back in the late 60's.

Been in to Fords since 1990, working on a Sunliner right now (1955), and of course, I love the Y block!
Old 09-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #41
Freddie (Memphis)

Guess I'm a "Johnny Come Lately" Ford guy..

I'm still doin' the rhumba, Baby...I just can't seem to quit. If momma catches us doin' the rhumba....momma would just pitch a fit. I can't help myself....it's much bigger than me. If I were you I'd hang on to a rhumba man like me...!
Freddie (Memphis) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:06 PM   #42
rick55

Worked for GM in the early 70's and thought they were the way to go.
Then in the mid 70's I got my first Aussie Ford and was converted for life.
I might create an argument but I think their drive trains are much stronger than the opposition. Is there a stronger more reliable combination than a 351 Cleveland, FMX and a 9" for a street car?
They just keep on trucking.
Mid 50's Fords for me.
Regards

1958 Ford Mainline Utility, 1955 Ford Tudor Sedan

Quote:
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
Henry Ford
rick55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:38 PM   #43
Barry B./ Ma.

I guess it was a combination. My dad had a new 49 tudor that we thought was a handsome , well designed car and going through high school the sharpest cars were the shoebox convertibles. I helped my friends with their flatheads by spiffing them up with skirts, duals etc. and couldn't wait until I got my own 49 a couple of years later. Back in those days the cars with the go were Fords. I've stuck with them for the most part except for a couple of Plymouths and Chevys. I did like the four Corvairs I owned and thought they weren"t boring and quite innovative for a large company like GM to come up with, thanks Ed Cole.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:36 AM   #44
552drpost

Just couldn't let this thread die without my 2 cents. The 1st Ford I drove was a 39 Ford coupe of my older bro's.That was 1953 I was 9yrs old and nearly ran over 1 of the barbour's kids lol It's a long story but this is why I call myself 552drpost on all the forums I belong to.

This pic was taken in 69(note the stubby beer bottle) This car ended in the crusher. I have a 51 Monarch project car that I'd like to swap for a 55 2dr post project
Old 10-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #45
geo61bird

Started when I bought my first car a 1988 Lincoln Town Car Black... well that was enough for me... from there goes as follows

1988 Lincoln Town Car - Black Crashed
1961 Thunderbird - White
1967 Comet - Blue... SOLD
1966 Fairlane GTA - Blue <---- Dads
1978 Fairmont Futura - purple SOLD
1989 Lincoln Town Car - Black
1987 Lincoln Continental - white <---- Dads
1926 Model T Coupe - Dads
1916 Model T Touring - Dads

Someday I will have a 1963½ 427 4sp Galaxie - Hey I can Dream

I guess what really got me was the history of Ford and the fact of knowing that old Henry did so much more for the country than just build cars. All of the car shows I go to the Ford guys seem to have a deeper respect of ownership, you can see it in someones eyes that they know they have something special... not just another Camaro with a 350.

When you go back and look at the history of innovation and performance FORD always rises to the top.

FORD FOREVER... oh yeah and they didn't take the money

geo61bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:01 AM   #46
Freddie (Memphis)

geo61bird wrote...
Quote:
"Someday I will have a 1963½ 427 4sp Galaxie - Hey I can Dream.."
How's this...? I'll see your '63 Galaxy 427 and raise you a '65 Shelby Cobra 427...

But that GTA in your 2nd picture is Suuuu-weeet..! Shades of my ol' high school days...had a friend who had a red GTA. One of my favorite Ford street racers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cobra Clipped.jpg (67.5 KB, 10 views)

I'm still doin' the rhumba, Baby...I just can't seem to quit. If momma catches us doin' the rhumba....momma would just pitch a fit. I can't help myself....it's much bigger than me. If I were you I'd hang on to a rhumba man like me...!
Freddie (Memphis) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:15 AM   #47
fairlanehdt

I am a Ford guy like many others because of family tradition. But I really got hooked when I baught my firs car a 57 Fairlane wich I still have and am in the process of restoring!
fairlanehdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:06 PM   #48
djpink1947

Ever since I was 11 or 12 I loved the AMT model car kit of a 40 ford coupe. I always wanted one but, was never in the right place at the right time. I came out of the service in 1971 and proceeded to buy a new 1972 Corvette LT-1. raced the crapp out of it. Well to make a long story short one of my vettes got stolen. Again with insurance money I purchased a 57 Chevy 2dr post. I finally got the bug to get a 1940 ford coupe in 1984. I sold my 57 for about 4300 dollars. Well even back then 40 Ford coupes were pricey. So I found the first Ford car too own in a classic car parts store. It was a 38 Ford 2dr sedan. It looked really sharp in the pictures. It was up in Canada but, I lived near Detroit, so it wasn't that far. I walked in the garage took one look and bought the car right on the spot. It had a small block Chevy. I kept that motor for about 12 years got the bug to have a Flattie installed in it. I bought a 1950 Merc. motor. Had it built up by Motor City Flathead. That motor gave me nothing but grief. I had that 38 Ford sedan for almost 20 years. All my kids rode in it at one stage of their lives. I did manage tho to purchase a 1940 Ford Opera coupe. My father died and I used that money from his estate. But, then a lot of things went south in my life, divorce, house payment, behind lost my job. Soooo sold 1940 because me and three kids could not live in it. My youngest daughter REALLY loved that coupe. So much she cried when the new owner came to pick it up. I felt bad too because I chased this dream for a long time. Got back on my feet quite quickley and had some cash and bought me my current car now my 1955 Ford Victoria. Never looked back over losing the little 40 coupe, this 55 took care of that, by many trouble free miles and a great driver that's it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
djpink1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:35 PM   #49
Lawson Cox

When I was in high school, working at a service station, there was an older guy (Maybe 18 or 19) that came in the station several times a week for gas, oil, etc. He had a 34 Ford coupe. He was sort of my idol at the time even though I cannot remember his name. I do, however, remember putting his car up on the grease rack every month of so and scraping the teeth out of his transmission with my finger. No telling how many transmissions he put in that car. I loved the car, and still today, the 34 Roadster is the most beautiful car ever built, bar none. I have owned a 34 Tudor, 36 Club Cab, a 47 Coupe and now own a 35 Pickup. Great cars.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:06 AM   #50
bdamfino

Early memories of that big round '63 Galaxie tailight on my mom's car, then a magazine feature from 'round 1972 of two Woodies, '39 and '40, both rodded.
bdamfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:22 PM   #51
Mike Mc

Came from hospital when I was born in my Dad's '30 Model A Roadster. When my parents divorced & Mum remarried, my step father had a '64 Cortina GT. Both cars are in my garage now. One of my brothers started working for FoMoCo in Aucklans & stayed with them for 20 odd years, so was a relatively cheap source of parts. Apart from an illicit affair with Subaru, most of my cars have been Ford. I have moved on from 4 cyl English models to 6 & 8 cyl Aussie Falcons but have dreams about getting my hands on a late-80s Sierra Cosworth at some stage.

My brother who worked for Ford is now a die-hard GM fan. Every family has a black sheep
Mike Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #52
flatheadfan

That's easy- My grandfather worked for Ford, as well as my dad, three uncles, my brother and myself. I grew up in Dearborn, Mi, attended Henry Ford's Greenfield Village School (my dad also taught there), graduated from Dearborn High School, and went on to graduate from Henry Ford Community College. I think you get the picture.......

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:44 PM   #53
Brent

I cannot afford to be a Ferrari guy. Really though, I've always admired early Fords. I've owned all sorts of different cars in the past but always found my attention coming back. I've never been happier than with the project(s) I currently have... that said, I cannot afford those vintage Ferraris, yet.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:00 AM   #54
coup34

Back during the 30's & 40's, muddy roads, snow drifts, shortage of parts, the worn out Model A carried my father over his route. Therefore I had all the potatoes I wanted. I could say a lot more, but that's enough.
coup34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #55
Frank The Plumber

I liked Mustangs, I have had a lot of Mustangs, 20 or so. I had a 66 Parklane, A 71 Marquis, A 72 LTD with a 351C, a 66 gt350H, about 16 modern trucks and now the 38 panel. In the old days when Chevy power was cheap and easy and Ford go go was expensive only a tough Hombre would have the coconuts to run against the GM boys. I campaigned a 70 Mustang coupe with a 14-1 Arias, 302 forged cranked, girdled, 200 shot with a .520 cam. It ran on nectar of the gods, that nectar was not cheap. 275 for a 50 gallon drum. The stang had a serious bout with the scale and weighed in at 2,230 lbs, the only steel part was the roof, the glass was all MR 2000, had a C4 with a 4500 stall and about 8 grand worth of servo reinforcement and gear cutting. It had a Ford nine out back with a set of 4.88s 31.5 X 15 good years and Welds. A MSD 7al2, Barry G fuel pump and a set of AFB 500s on her, We never did dyno this gal, we estimate about 650 on the giggly and use the parts destruction that she could cause as a serious guide. Her best time was a 10.41 no speed reading and an rpm of 8200, that was her lock out number. I would take this car to shows on a trailer, enter it in the pro street class and when the dopes would come around to mock the trailer I would angle them in to a purse race. I loved running a little block Ford in the early eighties the Chevy guys were so bold, why would I drive a Pro Street car to a car show on 3 dollar gas in a car that gets 2 MPG? Because "I" never said it was pro street. I loved that car, but sold her to buy a house, guy I sold it to put a 600 inch motorsport engine in it, drove it into the wall at the strip, it ran a 9.20 the pass before it died. He broke a leg. But was fine other than that.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:42 PM   #56
highwinder

My first car was a Ford
highwinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:14 PM   #57

My first car was a 70 Camaro, I bought it in 72 when I was 16 and still drive it occasionally today. I also have a 69 AMC Big Bad Blue 390 4sp leather interior AMX, one of only 192 made. Then there is the 74 AMC Hornet hatchback, the 72 El Camino, a 2001 and a 2009 PT Cruiser (Our imitation 37 Ford slantbacks) AND our course our beloved 37 Ford Tudor and 38 Ford Coupe.
3738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:35 PM   #58
bgarrett

If I had to classify myself, I'd say I am a Mercury guy, not a Ford guy, altho I own more than 50 Fords.
My dad and my uncle always had Mercurys 1940, 52, 56 and 57 are the ones I remember most even tho they went on to buy newer Mercurys.
Both of my grandfathers bought new Fords in 1937 even tho they lived 500 miles apart and didnt know each other. They both got the 60 hp motors and both disliked them intensely. I have grandpas 37 Ford pickup and his 1954 Ford Mainline.

If I had to answer why am I a Ford enthusiast, thats easy. Ford made the best looking cars and trucks ( I am considering only affordable cars, not Pierce Arrows and stuff like that) and most traditional hotrods were Fords.
Traditional hotrods have the most appeal to me and always have.
Its a shame that the HAMB is destroying the traditional image of Fords as the choice for a hotrod by allowing International trucks, 48-52 Dodges, Ramblers and cars of that ilk into the forum. The HAMB is now considered the leading ratrod forum by many.
Traditional hotrodders of the 50s put a lot of effort in fighting a poor image.
It seems that ratrodders are determined to destroy car enthusiasts good reputation.

I was there in the 50s. I remember what the hotrodders thought of Ramblers and Plymouths and other undesirable brands.
bgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:29 AM   #59
OLDBULL8

My first car was a 29 Model T coupe when I was 15, paid $7 for it, two days later blew a tire, new tire $14. Painted it Blue and called it the Daisy June, it even had what they called a Rumble seat. When Dad found out I didn't have insurance on it that was the end of driving three miles to school, there was 640 acres across the road where they raised cattle in the summer, was it ever fun chasing them with the T. Over my 82 years I've owned a lot of Fords too many to remember. From Michigan originally, Marine City, Ohio for the last 61 yrs.
Still enjoy working on my three F350 diesel's, 90 - 92 and a 99.5 PSD (Power Squirting Diesel).
OLDBULL8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:21 AM   #60
Lyle

Hello I became a ford man Because my dad liked fords. My first car 1928 ford roadster. 15.00 next 48 english ford next 62 mercury 221 v8. Next 64 2 door hardtop gal.500 xl. Next a 69 galx 500.my dads last truck was a 59 chevy only because a fellow Brother in the church passed on and He told his wife to give it to my dad. He drove it. Till he could not see to drive.He passed on at the age 94.
Lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:37 AM   #61
Gumpy

my father in law joe had a 40 mercury coupe in the rear yard of a house I was renting from him...he said if you paint the house i will give you the car....i got it running it was a 50s hot rod with a 49 merc motor...w/ stock carb turned around facing foward,droppped axle and 3 speed on floor....hes on this website and still wrenching at age 70 his handle is JosephCgr......taught me alot great guy!!
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #62
FOMOCOHOLIC

Just lucky I guess.LOL!.In actuallity growing up my father always had fords and that may be part of the reason.I can vividly remember seeing a 1973 Ford Mustang Mach !as a child (10 yrs old,1977) and falling in love with them.The 1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 was the first car that I ever owned.The third reason that I'm a Ford fan is that everone else in the family were mostly GM fans and,of course,I'm the one that always had to go agains't the grain.LOL!>
FOMOCOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:49 PM   #63
Ford406go

Can I chime in here? I know I'm late... but.. DID THEY MAKE ANYTHING ELSE ?
Ford406go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:42 AM   #64
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

I started out with a Model A coupe back in 1960 then I had them until 1980 then went to T's till 1990 then V-8. A 33,35,39 50 and a 56. I love them all.Always wanted a 32 and a 40 which I never did have so far.I like my 33 and 39 very much.Here a few pictures of some of my Junkers that what Dad called them.Wife said she calling the junkman when I croak I guess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11T Parade.jpg (114.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 27Model T Touring Christmas.jpg (71.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 33 Ford 1.jpg (68.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 39,35,33,39 In front of house.jpg (74.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 35 in garage nice.jpg (76.4 KB, 9 views)
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:03 PM   #65
Mike Mayer

When I was born I was brought me home in a 1941 ford club coupe.
It has been a love affair every sense.
Mike Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:34 PM   #66
Bob NH

I once heard a "rumor" that a lot of Ch - - -'s were painted green so they could hide in the grass and watch the Fords roll on by. Do you think thats maybe true ?
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:58 PM   #67
4d

Ya know I just have to add my two cents. My dad and my older brothers, all drove Fords. I don't think that is why I chose to play with Fords. When I looked at the catalogs, web pages, etc. Ch**** were everywhere. You had to sort thru those parts to find just a couple of the other parts. Or when you go to a show,,all though they are nice, a fella got tired of seeing those bowties. Pick up a magazine, same story, ch**** or ch*** powered. That small block did revolutionize performance, but I wonder what history would have said if the 289 had been introduced in 1955. I've always rooted for the underdog and maybe that is it. Or talk to the real rodder who couldn't buy, but rather fabricated a part. Whatever it was, I am definitely a Ford guy. And there is a feeling deep inside that makes it feel right.
4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #68
Tony Martino

The sound of a flathead Ford V8 thru Smithy's!
Tony Martino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:40 AM   #69
63.5 Galaxie

I am a Ford guy due to Ch**ys being like belly buttons. I like the look, I like the model names like Galaxie, Mustang, Skyliner, etc. I mean, "What the heck is a Camaro??"
Anyhoo, I am more of a Mercury guy, having a 64 and a 65 Comet, but I love my Fords just as much.
I have had several 63 Galaxies, a very hot 68 Torino GT 390, and a Bronco, along with the Comets.
I have a 63.5 Galaxie 500 right now I am working on, and has been my almost daily driver until last year. I am working on getting it on the road again with new brakes, seat belts, etc.

The biggest thing to make me love Fords though, is probably the talk of my dad's adventures in a little Ford Falcon. Seems the local Sheriff (my grandpa) got into a chase through town one night. It was a Falcon, and was running through yards, high speeds, etc, until he finally lost track of it. Come to find out it was my dad in the car, and it was Grandpa's car...
The other thing is probably the 68 Fairlane that my friend had in high school. We cruised in it a lot, and would have bought it when he sold it, but he jammed a 428 in it, drove it a few times, then sold it when I was in college. Fun times.

I grew up in dad's 70 Maverick Grabber. He had to trade his 70 Chevelle SS396 in for the Maverick. Seems he kept losing the starter, and had to get back home for work, so the SS went away. I still have the Maverick, but it needs everything to get running again. One day I hope to cruise in it with my now 2 year old son.
63.5 Galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:46 PM   #70
'59Edsel

The Edsel, love at first sight.
'59Edsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #71
Herman Munster

I guess I have been a Ford guy since birth. Both of my parents had Fords (well one was a Mercury). The only cars I remember one grandfather having were a Mercury and a Ford (I eventually inherited it after my parents neglected it for many years). My other grandfather's last car was a Mercury. None of my grandmother's ever drove. My dad still drives a Ford. I've also had many Fords of and on during my 30+ years of car ownership. I only recently came back to owning Ford's after 13 years of not owning one. I don't own a Ford of any real significance currently. One is a '94 F150 and the other an '01 Crown Vic, both V8's. I've always had a nostalgic desire to own a Model T, Model A or some early V8. Maybe one of these days, I will.
Herman Munster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #72
Bill in Al

My first memory of a car is standing on the floor of an"A" tudor behind my parents and looking out over a green hood. Then of my new baby sister coming home in a '37 tudor "60". My first new car was a 1959 Ranchwagon then a "66" Ranchero bought in Miami where I saw the Shelby Mustang rental cars and heard of the abuse by guys racing them. I've driven Merc. Marquis for the last several decades but sadly no more. My old stuff : '69 F100;'64 Galaxie 500;'41 Tudor and a '30Tudor and ME!!
Bill in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #73
Mike in Mass

MY DAD for sure grew up with a barn full of them ,the barn is still full ,41 an down I went a-stray with a galaxy craze in my 20,s but its 40 an down now cant wait to drive my 39 pic-up been collecting parts for it ,20 years now going to pull it out of the celler this spring
Mike in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #74
gerrald meacham

gm taking my tax money also
gerrald meacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #75

My old man was a Ford guy. He had a collection at one time that contained 13 Fords and 2 'off-breeds' (as he called them). They were a '55 Caddy convertible and a '67 Caddy convertible. Now, before anyone thinks we were rich, the '55 was rough and didn't run. The '67 was in good shape, but he owned it in the 80's, so not so rare then. The Fords were '36 3-window (I still have, Dad's first car), '47 four door deluxe, '53 Crestline Victoria (I still have), '56 Fairlane two door hardtop (I still have), '51 F-1, '69 F-250 (I still have), '66 Mustang (I still have), '51 two-door, '56 Mercury Montclair (I think) and a few others that were really rough.

Dad was a Ford guy. He always wanted a '58 Edsel and never had one. I hope to get a decent one sometime. I have two daughters now that he would have loved being their grandpa. Both of them go to the car shows with me and both of them spend their share of time in my garage with me. I hope to make them Ford girls.
365356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #76
Alex S. L.

Complete chance. I wanted to get rid of my sport-bike last summer after a pretty scary near death experience and a simultaneous change in speeding laws. I went on the local online classifieds and looked in the classic car section to see if anyone wanted to trade an old car for a street-bike. I ended up with a 57 Ford Fairlane 500. Chance also has me probably coming into a 1928 Model A, so i guess the gods want me driving blue.
Alex S. L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #77
tdlmomowers

First off, I worked for GM for 32 years, retiring in 2009. I have always said that if I didn't work for GM, that all I would drive is a Ford. I guess my love of Fords started when I was a kid in the 1950s. My Dad had a really cool 1951 Ford Victoria, light green with a black top, 3 speed with overdrive. Grandpa had a white 48 Ford coupe and a dark green 50 Merc. There was just something about the sound of those flatheads with dual exaust that I loved. I have owned several Fords over the years, even though I worked for GM. I had a 66 Mercury Monterey, A 68 Mustang, 302 hardtop, and a 72 Ford F100 with a 390 and a 3 speed on the column. I am now the owner of a 1969 Ford Torino GT that is in the process of being restored as a driver.
tdlmomowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #78
fordman

what made me an 'old ford' guy? it was old chevrolets!
fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #79
Cecil/WV

My first car was a '38 Chevrolet, my second car was a '37 Ford and I have been a Ford guy ever since!
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #80
Fordy Acres Car Farm

I was a car guy right outta the womb, I was making car noises before I knew what a car was. Before I turned 1yr old, my Dad figured out how my cranky mood would turn 180 degrees when I was put in the car, I didn't even have to go for a ride - the front seat made me the happiest, the driver seat was nirvana!
Anyway, Dad was never really brand loyal, I vaguely remember a couple of mid sixties Mopars, but in '72 he bought a one yr old '71 Torino GT complete with 'lazer' stripes and a 351C Automatic. That was it for me - HOOK, LINE AND SINKER !!! Now I'm a "lifer''.

Last edited by Fordy Acres Car Farm; 04-16-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Fordy Acres Car Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #81
Paul H

Until I went to the service in 63,I had always had Chevys.When I got out of the service in 66 I went to the Chevy dealer to order a new SS convertible and drove a demonstrator down a rough brick street and was amazed at the flexing and rattling of the body.After thinking it over a couple of days,I went to the Ford dealer and drove a demonstrator down the same street and could not believe the difference.Went back to the dealer and ordered an XL convertible and have been driving Fords ever since.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #82
tierod

Smile Re: What made you a "Ford" guy?

riding in a 38 deluxe tudor as a 4 year old
tierod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:16 PM   #83
tierod

Cool Re: What made you a "Ford" guy?

high school buddies.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #84
Raven53

Send a message via Yahoo to Raven53

Come from a whole line of them, my first truck was 53 f100, my dad and grandfather all my uncles kept me in parts and projects been that way for ever, now I am addicting my 2 boys to it ......lol
Raven53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #85
Straightpipes

When I was a young guy Fords were the only junkers that I could afford.
Straightpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #86
TonyM

My father had a 1937 Ford Fordor when I was a kid. Although my father and my brother moved on to pre-war Buick Straight Eights, I never forgot that old Ford. I am looking to get a 1937 like my father had.
TM.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:58 AM   #87
Ray With

Always been a ford guy but in the 50's tried a couple of GM's then went back to Ford.Ford's have always been good to me as to break downs or major problems so why rock the boat? I find them very dependable .
Old 07-30-2011, 10:35 PM   #88
Wily Kyote

I enjoyed the answers. Some were poignant, most all were heartwarming.

When I was seven, brother and I were scheduled for our tonsil removals during Christmas vacation from school. On the fateful morning, the gas line was frozen on the ’39 Ford sedan (it may have been ‘drip’ gas because this was during WWII). Brother and I were hoping the thing never started, but Daddy heated the fuel line with a plumber’s torch and got it running.

So off we went, two hours late and forty miles of two-lane between us and destiny. Brother and I wanted to be disgruntled, but we couldn’t be: we sat on the front edge of the rear seat, elbows hooked over the front seatback, eyes as big as saucers riveted on the speedometer. Daddy was tearing along like Junior Johnson on a white lightnin’ run. Every time the road straightened enough, the needle would hit eighty-five or more. When the road wasn’t straight, we occupants were being flung side-to-side like on a carnival ride. And wondering what awaited past the tree-shrouded curve.

Brother and I looked at each other, wordless, but we later said we were thinking the same thing: Had the gas line really been frozen, or had Daddy faked it so he could do this? I mean, he was having too much fun!

And so were we. Though the denizens of the docile farm vehicles we were zipping past seemed to not be sharing the mirth.

We got to the hospital and into our bed hours before surgery, so, were we right about the charade?

Fast forward three years, and we were stranded at roadside in darkness in a ’46 brand “C” because the oil-scooper-lubricated six cylinder had given up the ghost with babbit rod failure... And it had never been driven past sixty. Color me Ford blue ever since.
Wily Kyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:39 AM   #89
46yblock

I didnt do anythin carwise until around 40, except change oil and filters. Had many early models of slick cars, best being my 60 corvette. Got into Fords as a contrarian. Dont like the cookie cutter SBC crap that is everywhere. Being a late comer, I need to concentrate in one arena. Did divert down the route of building a Buick all aluminum 215 stroker, but sold out.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:50 PM   #90
phartman

My scoutmaster, Charlie Gustafson, and all the motorsports action in the mid-60s. Hooked.
phartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:25 PM   #91
blucar

My early experiences with Fords was not the kind of thing that would give you a warm fussy feeling about the Ford brand of vehicles.
When I was about seven my mother and her friend loaded a bunch of us kids into the friends '34 Ford 4dr sdn for an outing to the beach. We used the Ford because our family car was a near new '40 Chevy 2dr sdn.
I have no idea why my mother was driving her friends car, I was in the middle of the front seat and my older sister was sitting next to the front door. Mother was making a left turn onto Santa Monica Blvd, when the car hit the street car tracks in the middle of the street, the body flexed throwing the right front door open and my sister almost feel out of the car onto the street. Fortunately I was able to grab her dress which prevented her from hitting the street. The event ended our trip to the beach.
My father had pretty much always been a Chevy man, except for the '37 DeSoto he bought in 1938 which he traded in on the new '40 Chevy. As WWII progressed good used cars were very hard to come by. In 1944 my father was offered $1,600. for the '40 Chevy, he had paid $850. for it new. With a pocket full of money Dad went looking for a replacement for the Chevy. Bad idea... He came home mad as h*ll because all he could find to buy was a '28 Chevy for a $1,000. Fortunately the '28 got wrecked in a few weeks, Dad lucked out and purchased a '34 Ford 4dr sdn. A few months after buying the '34 he hit a slick spot in the road, loosing control the car went into the barrow pit and rolled over on it's top. The only person hurt was my little brother, he got hit in the head with a jack that was laying on the rear floor.
The next two vehicles my father had belonged to the company he worked for, the first was a '35 Chevy, the next one was a '41 Chevy. In 1947 my father purchased a '39 Ford V8 60.... What a heap of junk... underpowered and it would not start on cold mornings... We had moved from Southern Cal to Idaho in 1942.
A neighbor had offered to give me a '29 Ford roadster pickup to get it out of his yard. I tried to convince my father to give me the V8 60 engine out of the '39, I had plans all cooked up to put the V8 60 in the Model A.... My dad would not go for the idea, he figured I'd kill myself.
My first five cars were Chevy's, '40, '41, '38, '38 and a '42... Then in 1952 my fate took a turn. I heard that a '36 Ford 5 win which one of my high school teachers had bought new was going to be junked because he had bought a new car and the '36 was sitting in his back yard with weeds up to the door handles.
The '36 set me back $125., they could be bought all over the place for $25./$50. The car had 51k on the speedo and only needed a battery.
There-in started a love affair with a car that has lasted for 59 years and 94k miles, come September.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:55 AM   #92
W E Mack

New guy here, found this forum lookin' on Google for info about Y-block Police Interceptor engines. Why am I a Ford guy? One word--DAD. My 1st memories are 3 yrs old playin' in Dads Forest Green & Mint '53 Ranch Wagon, I was happy even when it was sittin' still in the driveway. Then the '56 Mint & White 4 dr wagon with a 312 dropped in it. I remember brother and I in the back seat one day when we pulled up next to a '56 'Vette at a stop sign, the guy was tryin' to impress the girl with him. Dad said " Watch this. " He pulled us outta' the hole but couldn't believe he was gettin' beat by a station wagon when we blew past and beat him to the next stop sign. He wanted to try again, poor guy never knew what hit him. Then my 1st time behind the wheel, 4 yrs old, managed to pull the '24 T coupe outta' gear while Dad's talkin to a buddy in the driveway. Rolled across the street and into the ditch! Dad not happy but so relieved nobody or the T got hurt that I didn't take a well deserved butt-whippin'. Learnin' to drive and wrench at 12 in the '60 2-dr post. I could go on and on, we were a bunch of gearheads crazy for Fords. My whole life from 3 yrs old till now has revolved around motorcycles and bad boy Fords. I've had other makes, but Fords have always done it for me and always will.

W.E.

All_Ford__All_The_Time___
W E Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:13 AM   #93
Gumpy

feeling the power of a 49 mercury flathead and smoking the rear tires!!
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #94
tierod

Cool Re: What made you a "Ford" guy?

Riding in a 38 Tudor as a 3 yr old. Have owned 2 38s since,
Old 11-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #95
Poor Boys Garage

Grew up with a long line of family members who were all Chevy fans including my father and since I was a kid I loved Fords, there were just so many cool Fords that no one can denie that Ford has continued to build the Coolest rides! Sure Chevy and Dodge have created some cool rides, you can get much cooler than a '55 Chevy or Cuda but Ford has created tons of more cooler rides thru its life than anyone else! Then you get into trucks, sure Chevy had a couple of years of trucks that were kinda cool, the '55, '72-80's shortbeds but look at how many cool Ford trucks there are, from the very beginning they were cool, I love em all. Everyone of the Ford Generation Trucks have been cooler than hell while no others have that. And then theres ride quality, drive a chevy or a dodge and then drive a Ford, you'll never touch anything else again, you'll bleed Ford for the rest of your life!
Poor Boys Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #96
jkeesey

I didn't realize til 2 years ago that I'm a ford guy. I grew up with chevys because all the fords I could afford had crappy electronic igitions and the chevys were easy to change ad cheap to buy. I started working at my shop 2 years ago and the first car I worked on was a 40 lincoln zephyr v12 convertible, the second car was a 36 ford phaeton. After that I was hooked.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #97
jkeesey

I also forgot to mention fords in my blood because my grandfather used to race a 32 coupe in the stock car circuit
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:32 PM   #98
FL&WVMIKE

I became a FORD guy at a very young age. I can remember, as a kid, seeing a Model "A" roadster, looking brand new and thinking it was awesome ! This had to be during WWII, as I think I was less than ten years old. I don't know if this car was restored, or was an original, all cleaned up. I can remember seeing it, to this day. I never saw it again. At the time, my dad had a '35 Plymouth with scratchy mohair upholstery and an exhaust leak, which came into the car. I hated that car and wished that he had something neat like that Model "A" FORD Roadster. I finally got myself one for myself in 1961.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #99
abbie

Have you noticed how many of these comments start with;"My Dad". Again, "My dad", was a chevy 6 man all the way. Babbit bearings; what few times I drove his car alone it had no turn on. At 16 I bought a 41 Ford and the love began. No complaints, very happy memories through and through. That sound of twin straights on a flathead; makes the hair standup. Like hearing America the Beautiful.
abbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #100
Ford blue blood

"My Dad" was a hot car type of guy, he owned all brands over the years, all were on the high performance end of the line. If it had a V-8 and it "was gutsey" it was good to go...until I turned 16. The last one he owned was a 57 Olds 88 with a J-2. I turned 16 in March of 63 and it was replaced in April.

Now having said all that, my love of Fords started at a very early age. Dad would talk me along to go to his buddy Mart's place during the long WI winters. It was a shop in town with a junk yard in the back and two dirt track race cars. Both were powered by Fords (Y-Blocks) and with Johnney Lobeck driving tore up the competition at the home town track in Portage. Johnney was a hot shoe, always finished near or at the top and did it cleanly. He, Dad, Mart and a couple other guys would sit around, drink coffee and smoke and tell stories about building, driving and fixing cars. Snow melted and it was off to the track every Saturday night with Dad. I knew I had to have a Ford then and there, that stayed with me through the early high school years and in 63 the fast back Galaxie came out....and as they say....the rest is history! My first car after coming back from Nam was a 63 1/2 Red/black, 390 Z motor, 4 speed with 3:89 T-lock factory original Galaxie.

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:08 AM   #101
41 Fords ohio

Thumbs up Re: What made you a "Ford" guy?

I had always loved Model T's and Model A's. When I was a kid in the early 50's there were still quite a few daily drivers out there. and I was determined to get one. I threw newspapers at night for years and I saved my money. In 1966 when I was 16 years old,I found a 1929 Model A for $150. It ran good and looked pretty good to. I put down a $15 deposit and went and got the money. When I came back it was gone. The old guy had sold it out from under me,even though I had given him a deposit. On my way home, while I was cursing my bad luck and him, I saw a 1941 Ford coupe for sale,$150. I had seen several 39's and 40's,but never a 41. It was the most beautiful car I had ever seen. I bought it right then and there. I couldn't believe my luck. It may not be the fastest or the best car ever made but its mine and I still drive it almost every day. 45 years of service,not bad for a $150 car.

Last edited by 41 Fords ohio; 11-12-2011 at 07:26 AM.
41 Fords ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:59 PM   #102
yoop

From years of experience of selling parts and running a service center. We see less Fords than any other major brand. The current (as in the generation we see, from mid-90s on up) have problems that are not catastrophic. When it comes to Chrysler, and especially GM, the problems they continually have will leave you stranded. The fact they didn't take the bailout confirmed it all.
yoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:20 AM   #103
tierod

Talking Re: What made you a "Ford" guy?

A ride in my dads' 38 Tudor when I was 3/4 years old.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:04 PM   #104
roccaas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Wolk View Post
Hi, new here. Just bought my first Ford, although I own other Ford products.

My father doesn't know which end of a screwdriver, so I didn't get it there. Mom had a '54 Vicky with see-through doors and floor pans. When they stepped up my father bought Lincolns in the early '70s. He had a '70 Town coupe with a naked roof in double black. Put Red Lines on it. It looked like Darth Vader's car.

I started collecting things with the Continental name when a '77 Town Car in triple black, 25 years old with under 13,000 miles, stalled in front of my home. Then came the Mark II, then the Chris Craft Continental, '55 Porsche Continental and several other Lincoln Continentals including a limo and a Mark III convertible.

The Continental tie in with the Ford truck is the beautiful "Continental" style grill on the '41.

Hey, can I come by your garage and drive all your cars while you are away; to you know, just keep the batteries charged up? That's not a collection, that's a dream!
Old 12-02-2011, 04:12 PM   #105
Indianfield

MUSTANGS, as a pre teen I was obsessed with the 1969 Boss 302 and 1969 Mach 1.
My avatar photo is of me (on the right), my buddy and my first car, a 1966 Sprint 200 Mustang.
We were like 16, good times.
Indianfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #106
CarlG

While Dad had his share of early Fords, he favored the C word, until 52 then 56 were new Fords. The '56 was my favorite, then came my own cars:

My first "car" was a '31 AA 280A. After that:
'30 A Fordor
52 Merc 4-Door
53 Merc 4-Door
54 Ford 6 4-door
58 Ford F100
71 Ford F100
75 Ford E250
82 Ford Escort
83 Ford Escort
92 Ford Explorer
93 Ford Explorer
04 Ford Explorer
31 Ford CCPU (in my avitar)

There were a smattering of others along the way, like a couple of VW's, and 4 Honda's and even a Nash Metropolitan. I still have the last 4 on the list above. Think I have the 93 sold but I have to dig it out of the snow.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #107
Indianfield

What does a guy do with three Ford Explorers?
Indianfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #108
Frankenstein57

I guess my dad had fords when I was young, he used to take my brother and I to the dirt track races. I was hooked, we had a guy who raced 57 custom 300's, 406. His cars were simple, nothing flashy. His name was Frank Smith, he won 7 straight area titles, 23 consecutive track titles. So when I turned18, I bought a former champs 58 ford, found a 427, and went racing. I finally got around to making my brothers 57 ranchero streetable, but it was rotten. So I found another 57, and since then a 58. I'm back! Mark
Frankenstein57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:16 AM   #109
turnpikecrusier

Well "My Dad" worked for GM and drove Dodges. He would always tell us kids that he wanted us to do better than him so I drive Fords!
turnpikecrusier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #110
coup34

Dad took my Mother to the hospital and picked Mom and I up in a 32 roadster. (1933) What else can I say!!!!
coup34
coup34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #111
tattedfordguy

When i was 8 or 9 my dadhad a 53 f100 lowered with a big block (ford) Hate chevy in a ford, Ever sence that truck i have been into fords. Im 38 and have had up words to 100 cars and trucks thrue the years, Traded, crashed sold what ever thats not saying they all were road worthy. I have had two chevys both garbage im just a all around FORD guy i even have FORD tattoo'ed on my fore arm. Oh i threw my back tat in too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (50.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg new tat.jpg (5.0 KB, 46 views)
tattedfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote