Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-02-2017, 11:11 AM   #1
bobioknight

Default Fuel filters and why did it let me down.

Why did this filter not catch particles from getting into my carb, the particles are big enough to plug accelerator pump jets and cause my floats to act crazy. So is everyone using this same filter with success?

bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:32 AM   #2
scicala

Default Re: Fuel filters and why did it let me down.

I would make sure the rubber seal on the filter element is in good shape without any gaps or imperfections, and also make sure the filter element isn't made in China.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:48 PM   #3
Daves55Sedan

These filters should be able to catch particulates up to so many microns in size. you can find out by getting filter specs from mfrs website.
Don't put gas in your tank right after it rains. water does get into these underground tanks (and a little bit of dirt too).
If theres rust flakes in your gas tank, you can drain the tank and pull the fuel sending unit off, then run a telescoping magnet down inside the tank to pick up as much of the small rust particles as you can.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:38 AM   #4
Six volt

You didn't say what those particles looked like. I notice a rubber hose, (looks like after the filter,) a flexible hose is necessary to counter vibration and engine movement but remember if your using gasoline/eythynol mix, the eythynol will attach and break down rubber as well as some other fuel system materials, even from inside your carbeurator. Then you will find that stuff in your carb. I read a while back that it will corrode aluminum too.
I use whenever I can, straight eythynol free gasoline, 91 octane, it is available in my state, and at small airports. It last much longer and doesn't absorb nearly as much moisture.
Six volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:06 AM   #5
jimvette59

Could it be the filter is not installed properly. It looks like it's on a angle. Yes the hose may be disintegrating also . JMO
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:19 PM   #6
Kahuna

I like that filter. Where can I get one?
Thanks
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:55 PM   #7
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
I like that filter. Where can I get one?
Thanks
Jim
It was a factory part on many 50's and maybe early 60's cars, mostly Fords & Chevy's. The classic car restoration places sell them and they're on ebay a lot.
the 'dome top' ones usually go for a bit more cuz they were oem on '55/'57 T-Birds.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-AC-G...xY28XH&vxp=mtr

Last edited by dmsfrr; 04-03-2017 at 10:00 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:04 PM   #8
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobioknight View Post
Why did this filter not catch particles from getting into my carb ..... ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvette59 View Post
Could it be the filter is not installed properly. It looks like it's on a angle. ...... JMO
I thought the same thing when I saw the photo. There isn't (and wasn't) a spring that holds the filter 'up' tight to the cover and looks like it's crooked enough to let crud get thru.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 04-04-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:23 PM   #9
bobioknight

right, no spring, I have seen similar filters with a spring that assists seating the filter to the top of the bowl. This is imperative that there is a good seal at the top. unfortunately I believe the seal was not sufficient letting the stuff shown below reach the carb. I am going to find a spring.

This is the residue from the vent tube filter that disintegrated long ago. dissolving into very fine particles. I included a photo of the broken filter tube with no mesh left, half of the plastic tube was floating around on the button of the tank.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:19 PM   #10
dmsfrr

Make sure the filter housing cap matches the top of the filter element. There are a couple different styles of housing cap that look similar but are Not the same.

The filter element is a friction fit onto the short lip at center. Older filter elements may lose their fit. I'm thinking of looking for a spring too, just in case.
The flat rubber ring around the outer edge of the housing cap in the 1st photo is the seal for the glass bowl.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuel filter cover.jpg (72.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg old filter.jpg (50.4 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 04-04-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:14 PM   #11
bobioknight

There just does not seem to be enough sealing the paper to the center tube as well, even with a spring pressing up I have to believe the paper soaked with fuel will give way and still leak a bit. The filter removes as little as 10 microns but the seal is the weak point. Maybe if a smear of soothing like rtv to give a rubbery coat could help it seal.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:20 AM   #12
dmsfrr

I don't suggest any sealer as it could too easily clog something up.
To refresh my faded memory I just went out and double checked the two glass fuel filters I have, neither are installed. One is the oem dome top style and the other is a replacement style. I have one lightly used filter and a new Wix brand filter in the box w/ a new rubber seal. I tried both filters in both housings and got the same result.
Now I'm more confused.

The fuel comes into the housing thru the center hole and straight down into the bottom of the glass bowl. From there fuel goes up to the outside of the paper filter, thru it and out thru the ring of several small holes around the center hole and then out of the housing.

However... neither the fiber top of the filter or the rubber O-ring is quite large enough to seal the top outer edge of the filter against the underside of the housing. It's close but not quite. This allows the filtered and unfiltered fuel to mix before exiting the top of the housing. Something is wrong here and I don't have a clue.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 04-05-2017 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:55 AM   #13
bobioknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
However... neither the fiber top of the filter or the rubber O-ring is quite large enough to seal the top outer edge of the filter against the underside of the housing. It's close but not quite. This allows the filtered and unfiltered fuel to mix before exiting the top of the housing. Something is wrong here and I don't have a clue.
Confusion, funny me too. There has to be something missing, because it seems to be impossible to seal unfiltered and filtered fuel when the flow of unfiltered fuel is flowing through the center of the filter which does not have a seal. Maybe it works but it leaves me confused as well.

The options I've found throughout my forum searches.

1: housing, gasket, filter, bowl
2: housing, filter, gasket, bowl
3: housing, gasket, filter, spring, bowl

#1 did not work for me

#2 might work, at least the gasket would hold a loose filter to the housing, unfortunately my filters top paper is not centered on the filter so the rubber gasket will hold one side but not the other, this might cause the side without paper overhang to lift that side causing a bad seal.

#3 a spring totally makes sense to press the filter to the housing. At least it would press to the housing evenly, and as the paper wears the spring will continually adjust towards the housing.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:04 AM   #14
dmsfrr

Ok, went back into the garage since my eyes are more open. (not 11:30pm)
And remembered to take pictures this time.

My 2¢ worth... Option 2 is how it works, but carefully. I'd seen this posted about before and it wasn't clear til I had to try it for myself.

The filter goes on first. Then the flat rubber seal over the filter and then the glass bowl. The rubber seal for the glass bowl holds the filter 'up' in place.
However, if the rubber seal isn't relatively new and carefully centered over the edge of the filter unwanted stuff can get thru. (photo 3) I wish the rubber seal fit better, or the fiber filter top was a bit bigger.
Maybe a different brand of filter and rubber ring fits better???

*Option 1* If the rubber ring were put on first there's really nothing to keep the filter up in place or more importantly, close off the top outer edge of the filter element, letting unfiltered fuel go past it into the outlet portion of the housing.

*Option 3* A spring would not hold the filter up any higher than it already goes. (photo 1)
When the filter element is fuel soaked a spring might cause it to try and collapse. ???
Quote:
it seems to be impossible to seal unfiltered and filtered fuel when the flow of unfiltered fuel is flowing through the center of the filter which does not have a seal.
The center (inlet) hole in the top of the filter element is separated from the smaller (outlet) holes around it by a sleeve thru the center of the filter. (photo 5) The center hole is a pretty tight fit onto it's lip in the housing cover, note the before/after difference of the old & new in the 4th photo.

With the center hole of the fiber top tight on it's lip in the center of the housing cover, and outer edge of the filter top fully covered by the rubber seal, the filtered and unfiltered fuel should be separated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170404_1.jpg (45.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170404_2.jpg (46.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170404_3c.jpg (48.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg old and new filter tops.jpg (80.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170404_5.jpg (33.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg repro fuel filter top.jpg (55.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg fuel cover w arrows.jpg (64.6 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 04-04-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:47 PM   #15
bobioknight

Hey dmsfrr, well that sure made it clear. Thanks for the info and the time it took to post those instructions. I just could not believe #2 is the way it works, just seems like it had to be missing something. Ok, #2 it is.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:03 PM   #16
dmsfrr

Thanks.
No one has told me I'm full of it, yet.
Maybe I got it right.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 04-05-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:39 PM   #17
bobioknight

Lol, give me time, it's still early.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:25 AM   #18
dmsfrr

FYI.
I looked in the big red '55/'57 T-Bird Restoration Manual put out by CTCI hoping to find some guidance but if it's in there I missed it.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:44 PM   #19
bobioknight

I received the new filter today, it made perfect sense once I Slipping the gasket over the filter and installed them according to #2. So much better than my first attempt. I can see how the seal is way better than before. I hope everyone with a filter like this sees this post and installs correctly.

By the way, I cracked open my carb and there was so much garbage throughout my new carb that it was no wonder I was chasing problems. So excited to test drive her tomorrow. Clean tank, new fuel line that's not pinched closed, filters in place, cleaned carb, oil changed, valves adjusted, decarbonized. 2nd filter for the first tank of gas.

I am ready to roll.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:50 PM   #20
dmsfrr

I've got my fingers crossed for you!!!
Old 04-06-2017, 01:22 AM   #21
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Maybe if a smear of soothing like rtv to give a rubbery coat could help it seal.
NO...NO...do not try to use any type of gasket sealer even if it allegedly is ethanol fuel resistant. They all dissolve, become dislodged and may plug something up.
DON'T DO IT !
Old 04-06-2017, 01:38 AM   #22
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
FYI.
I looked in the big red '55/'57 T-Bird Restoration Manual put out by CTCI hoping to find some guidance but if it's in there I missed it.
I've got one of those T-bird gas filters I was gonna install after my cheap inline clear plastic throwaway filter gives out.
The only thing I can find is on page 110 of the '56 Ford Car shop manual they have a little paragraph about it and apparently the glass bowl to housing gasket and the filter were the only serviceable parts originally. It does not mention a spring or anything else.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:26 AM   #23
bobioknight

Thanks for crossing your fingers for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
I've got one of those T-bird gas filters I was gonna install after my cheap inline clear plastic throwaway filter gives out.
The only thing I can find is on page 110 of the '56 Ford Car shop manual they have a little paragraph about it and apparently the glass bowl to housing gasket and the filter were the only serviceable parts originally. It does not mention a spring or anything else.
Your right, no sealant necessary, no spring necessary. The rubber gasket presses the filter up against the top of the filter, holding it in place with plenty of even pressure. If you install wrong by putting the gasket on first, then you will not seal the gasket at all, eventually the filter could (will) vibrate loose.

So slide the rubber gasket over the filter, you will see as you tighten the glass bowl, your filter element will press up against the top of the filter housing.