Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-06-2015, 11:39 PM   #1
Model A Man

Default shipping charges

I ordered some model A parts and the website stated actual shipping charges would apply. I only ordered $190.00 worth of parts so I figured may be $20 to $25 dollars. I was shocked to be charged $68.00 in shipping and $4.00 in handling and box fee when the parts arrived. Thanks for letting me vent.
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:13 AM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: shipping charges

The obvious question is did you complain to the vendor and what did they reply ? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:14 AM   #3
burner31

Must have been a very heavy item.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:16 AM   #4
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Vendor?
There is a current thread about differences in the vendors. Some posters here don't want us to share our experiences with different vendors, and want to let each Barner figure this all out for themselves, the hard way. Which I guess you just did.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:33 AM   #5
H. L. Chauvin

Hi,

You are very quite welcome to vent.

And through sharing your thoughts and your taking time to vent, most of us are appreciative of your helping all of us "not" to rely on any type of "Don't Ask -- Don't Tell" situation when it comes to shipping charges.

We all often forget to ask ...... and many of us were shocked at one time or another with excessive shipping charges ....... not only from USPS, FedEx, and UPS, but also items shipped by C.O.D., Greyhound, Air-freight, etc., etc..

Thanks for reminding us..

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 10-07-2015 at 12:34 AM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:05 AM   #6
pooch

How much empty space was in box stuffed with newspaper and crap?

How small could the parcel have been if they gave a damn ?

I have been ripped off by USA vendors with no-care packaging , so am loathe to try again.

May as well be ripped off by local vendors here.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:43 AM   #7
monto

Shipping charges are one thing; however the so called 'handling' part of shipping is, in most cases the biggest rip off. Any innovative seller could incorporate honest ship / handle charges within the price of the product and give the competition a run for their money.
monto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:17 AM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
How much empty space was in box stuffed with newspaper and crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by monto View Post
Any innovative seller could incorporate honest ship / handle charges within the price of the product and give the competition a run for their money.

There is a two-edged sword in this though. Freight damage is something that is every vendor's nightmare. If there is insufficient packing materials in a box that is damaged during shipping, the shipper is responsible and any claim against the freight co. is denied. Therefore we err on the side of 'overpacking' to keep the freight protected.

Now, we as Model-A hobbyists are to blame on the hidden charges because we as a whole tend to be "cheap", ....and as such go after the vendor that is a few cents cheaper. (This has been verified time & time again here!) So if I advertise my merchandise with no added handling charge ( --and just factor in that charge into the sales price. ) yet my competitor offers the item at a dollar less but makes up for it in a handling & insurance charge, the chances are pretty great that my potential customer will order from the vendor who has listed his price cheaper. Doesn't take very long for the word to get out that my prices are higher than everyone else's.

FWIW, this "backdoor" fees are really nothing new. Ford did this when he advertised his new Model-A comparing price against his competition. His advertised price was without engine oil, bumpers, and a spare added however these were charges the dealer had to charge in the sale. (Many old sales receipts confirm this.) Ironically, when the oil, bumpers, and spare tire were factored in, Chevrolet was actually a tad cheaper when comparing apples-to-apples.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:44 AM   #9
Jeff/Illinois

In the 70's most vendors charged 10% for S&H. Times change.

For Mustang parts, CJ Pony Parts is always free shipping, my friends and I order from them exclusively and if you compare their prices to the other major Mustang parts houses they are the same often times a bit less. Quality of parts is very very good too.

We all fume at big S&H charges I do too, but I guess ya gotta pay to play. I just figure well, it was cheaper than me driving down there and go on.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:44 AM   #10
Karl Wescott

Five things factor in for shipping costs.

1. Distance
2. Weight
3. Size
4. Hazardous
5. Method (Express/Air/Truck)

For Express (fed-x, ups, post) there is a bump up to (usually 25 lbs rate) for a package over 84" length+girth, and another big bump at 108" and then they dont take it if over 108" long or 130" l+g. Things bulky like seat springs and some sheet metal can get expensive quick.

Then there is truck freight. Truck lines charge a high "minimum charge" with a low per pound rate. So for us shipping a fiberglass front fender from Oregon to New York might cost our customer 200.00 (and is that low as we have negotiated a huge discount). A shipment of 8 fenders will still be below the minimum charge and be about the same price. And they love their add ons... lift gate charge, residential delivery charge, phone notification charge, etc.

Exporting has its own complications. Besides the excess paperwork required by two governments (remember, one of the major freedoms guaranteed by the US constitution is free trade between states) besides a $10 part with a $50 shipping there might be a $200 brokerage fee. Surprise!

The main points here are size matters and the shipping companies DO NOT CARE WHAT THE PART COSTS. Except for insurance...
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:00 AM   #11
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Snyders once overcharged me for Shipping. I contacted them and they refunded the excess immediately, as they should. Was an honest mistake. (?)

Now, when I place an order, I always tell them, "cheapest, BEST way."

Karl and Brent share good information.

Larry
Larry Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:22 AM   #12
holdover

Some vendors charge a fixed shipping fee on the amount that you buy which I do not agree with. If those items are small and light weight and can fit in a small package why should you pay a penalty. Been stung a few times with shipping charges, now I always ask. As to A vendors always been treated fairly by Snyders and Mikes. As to Mustangs, Kentucky Mustang is free over 49.00 purchase, which really helps with sheet metal etc. and CJ is a good supplier also.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:28 AM   #13
spdway1

Shipping cost are all part of the hobby/business we are in!
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:17 AM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

What was the package size and weight, and how far was it shipped?

$68 does sound high, but if that was the actual shipping cost, then you can't blame the seller.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:10 PM   #15
Fred K-OR

How was it shipped-over night, 2nd day, ground, etc.? It does make a difference which I am sure you knew.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:43 PM   #16
denis4x4

I used to own a mail order business in the automotive aftermarket industry and no matter how hard I tried, could never find a shipping clerk that would work for free. A lot of our products were high end and I designed special packaging that, again, was not free. Bert's is the only outfit I deal with that charges me exactly what his shipping costs are. Found out the hard way that Model A owners wouldn't pay for high end products.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:00 PM   #17
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

[QUOTE=denis4x4;1168768]I used to own a mail order business in the automotive aftermarket industry and no matter how hard I tried, could never find a shipping clerk that would work for free. A lot of our products were high end and I designed special packaging that, again, was not free. Bert's is the only outfit I deal with that charges me exactly what his shipping costs are. Found out the hard way that Model A owners wouldn't pay for high end products.[/

You make a couple very good points ! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:13 PM   #18
updraught

Rockauto which has mostly more modern parts, has an automated shipping calculator at checkout. This is great for mixing and matching parts to fill a small box for expensive air freight to make it worthwhile.

Just need to convince one of the vendors to use this system.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:15 PM   #19
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
Must have been a very heavy item.
That, and as was mentioned speed, also add size. One pound of shift levers would cost was more then 1 pound of nuts and bolts that are sent the same way.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:05 PM   #20
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdway1 View Post
Shipping cost are all part of the hobby/business we are in!
There is an ALTERNATIVE, BUILD the parts YOURSELF
Bill W.