Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-14-2018, 06:24 AM   #1
Henry Hopper

Default Brake question

I’m looking at options on changing my brakes to hydraulics.Im pretty sure I’m going for self energising brakes for the front but was wondering if standard 40 brakes would’ve ok on the rear.As the front brakes are supposed to be more efficient in a conventional system ie; disc front/ drum rears, would this even be better?Scarcity of self energising rears and cost of “new” Lincoln ones are also
Considerations....living in England means import costs push the price of new rear backing plates to around $800+.

My rod brakes are in good order but I am thinking of fitting a dropped axle and this dictates the brake swap.

I’m not looking to save money at the cost of efficiency but rather do
not want to spend if not needed.
Henry Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:53 AM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Brake question

Henry...…....There are quite a few folks running these old Fords that have done exactly what you reference here, with extremely positive results. It's true that the fronts do the majority of the 'stopping', and that the rear Lockheed brakes are more than adequate to handle their quota when used in conjunction with the "Bendix" self-energizing type front brakes. Click the link below for the folks that have it all, MT Car Products.

If you swap to a dropped axle, do yourself a huge favor and get one that is an original Ford I-beam that has been professionally dropped. Many of the NEW dropped axles are of 'unknown' steel qualities, and many of the aftermarkets have perch pin holes that will not line-up with your stock wishbone. DD

http://www.mtcarproducts.com/Brakes.html

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:17 AM   #3
john in illinois

I am using the MT car front brakes on the front and Ford Lockheed on the rear on 2 cars. This is a good setup.

I use a mustang drum/drum dual master cylinder which is 1' diameter. I found the original Ford 1 1/16 master cylinder required too much pedal pressure.

I actually tested my Model A on a brake test lane and found close to 60/40 braking front to rear.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:33 AM   #4
19Fordy

Henry: Try and get an OEM Ford axle that has been "dropped" and is narrower than the stock axle. This will give you better fender to wheel clearance and will pull your wheels in so they are more centered under the fenders. For instance, a Magnum dropped axle is 3/4 inch narrower than stock axle. However, the Magnum axle is cast which is a huge negative to many folks. You will also need dropped steering arms. If you use the steering arms that bolt on be sure that the backing plate bolts DO NOT bottom out in the steering arm holes. If possible, find out if putting disc brakes on the front will change your tread width measurement as the addition of disc brakes sometimes increases this distance. Also, will your turning radius change with the dropped axle? I used the Magnum axle and found that the turning radius increased a little. Hopefully, someone on Fordbarn or HAMB who has already done what you want to do will chime in and tell you "the rest of the storey". A 4 in. dropped axle lowers the car 2 inches if all other components remain stock.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:49 AM   #5
Henry Hopper

Thanks for the answers fellas...I have been looking at the dropped axles that Nostalgia Sid sells... nice looking work .
Old 08-14-2018, 11:51 AM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hopper View Post
Thanks for the answers fellas...I have been looking at the dropped axles that Nostalgia Sid sells... nice looking work .
Know him (them) personally, they are who I use.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:52 AM   #7
john in illinois

Okie Joe does the Ford axles with Sid. The nice thing is if you send your spindles and axle to Joe he will set the camber and bend the steering arms to fit your car. Very nice to deal with. He also magna fluxes the parts. My roaster drives straight and never any shimmy with his 4"dropped axle.

John

Last edited by john in illinois; 08-14-2018 at 11:59 AM.
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:55 PM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by john in illinois View Post
Okie Joe does the Ford axles with Sid. John
It depends on the year involved, Okie Joe does the earlier years and Sid's do the later years. A 40 would be Sid's, but it makes little difference, they support each other and the job will get done by contacting either one.

Last edited by JSeery; 08-14-2018 at 03:00 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:40 AM   #9
19Fordy

Sid has a very good reputation and also bends OEM steering arms. I recall that when I installed the Magnum axle, I had to alter the lengths of the drag link and the tie rod as the axle was 3/4 in. narrower. Find out about this also.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:04 PM   #10
Henry Hopper

Always good to hear recommendations.