Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-17-2015, 09:59 PM   #1
29OklahomaCoupe

Default Considering parting out my 29 Coupe

Im fairly new to the Model A, and I haven't been on here in a while. I have a 1929 Model A Coupe that is roughly 90% complete(As in having the correct parts). The engine, tranny and axles have been gone through. The chassis and body frame have been sand blasted and primed, etc. The car has been gone through from front to rear. Ive had it for about 3 years now and haven't had a lot of time to work on it or a lot of interest to work on it. Since Its 90% complete, I was going to restore it to original, but ever since I got it my hot rod side of me has been taunting me to make it into a hot rod. Since the body is solid and mostly original I will use it. How should I go about pricing the original parts if I decide to part it out?

Thanks for the info!
29OklahomaCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:07 PM   #2
jkcrosson

Default Re: Considering parting out my 29 Coupe

Good luck. You're about to stir up a hornets nest.
jkcrosson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:07 PM   #3
John Duden

I say finish it, don't "scrap rod" it! Once the car is done and drive able it will hold value, a scrap rod is just a rolling junk pile, every one wants something different, so it will be hard to sell
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:14 PM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

so is this the car your grandfather passed the torch for you to restore ? what is his take on rodding it after you promised to restore it in his name?
this is your previous post i read
http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122721

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 01-17-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:24 PM   #5
29OklahomaCoupe

Yes it is. Im going to talk to him tomorrow about it. He won't like it. He'll just say that its not his anymore and he doesn't care. Ive tried to talk to him about it before(not rodding it), just general questions and thats been his response. Its not that I don't like the original Model A's, I just think I would enjoy a hot rod more. If I did turn it into a hot rod, It would be a quality job.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:24 PM   #6
caboose

Sell it as is to someone, it needs a good home.
caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:36 PM   #7
tbirdtbird
BANNED

there are kits etc out there to make a hot rod so that you do not destroy a car that is not made anymore. please consider this. and as caboose says, sell it as is, it does scream for a good home, and then use the money for a kit, 'cause it is not gonna resemble an A at all when you get done otherwise anyway.

"If I did turn it into a hot rod, it would be a quality job."
These two phrases cannot be used in the same sentence; they are mutually exclusive.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:02 PM   #8
Steam Engine Pete

In your post you stated "Ive had it for about 3 years now and haven't had a lot of time to work on it or a lot of interest to work on it." How can you have a car that is 90% complete as you state, not have a lot of time to work on it but still be able to find the time to start over and create a so-called hot rod?

Looks like another A will bite the dust!
Steam Engine Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:12 PM   #9
700rpm

You stated earlier that you decided it was a standard coupe. These are hard to find. You'd be a fool to rod it. Sell it to someone who knows what the true value is of owning a 90% Model A, and then go find a half-finished rod project for half the price, and pocket the difference. There are lots of A's already ruined out there. Original standard coupes? Not so many.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:54 PM   #10
29OklahomaCoupe

When I got the car it was in pieces and I was stationed in another state with the Air Force and it was at my in-laws shop in Oklahoma. I moved back in October of 2013 and thats when I started putting it back together when I had time. Im not saying that I would have more time for a hot rod, I just think i would enjoy building one more. All the car needs is a few parts and some paint, so thats why I say its a 90% car.

I do truly appreciate the car, I don't like trashing or ruining classic cars if I don't have too. I didn't know that the standard coupes were hard to find, I figured they were seen the most. I don't even know what it would be worth. If I were to sell the car, I figured it would be worth $15,000-18,000?

This is only a thought, Im not saying that its going to happen. I do appreciate your opinions.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:08 AM   #11
Steve Plucker
BANNED

How long has it been in the family?

If you "promised" your grandfather that you would restore it...do it, or you will regret it down the line...don't ask me how I know.

Restore it...then take him for a long drive in it...you will NEVER EVER forget the look on his face when you show the restored coupe to him that you PROMISED to restore...NEVER!

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 01-18-2015 at 12:15 AM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:39 AM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29OklahomaCoupe View Post
Yes it is. Im going to talk to him tomorrow about it. He won't like it. He'll just say that its not his anymore and he doesn't care. Ive tried to talk to him about it before(not rodding it), just general questions and thats been his response. Its not that I don't like the original Model A's, I just think I would enjoy a hot rod more. If I did turn it into a hot rod, It would be a quality job.
What he says to you face and what he is thinking may be two different things.

A man is only as good as his word. If it were me, I would finish it, sell it then use the money for your project. A correctly finished, running car will ALWAYS get more money then one that needs to be finished.

If you have the time and energy, you can remove all the individual correct original parts and sell them and make more money then the complete car. See the post about 123.00 license plate clips.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:17 AM   #13
montanafordman

Let me start by saying that I'm probably closer to your age group than most on here (34) and TRUST ME when I say keep it original! I realize the allure of the "counterculture" that comes with shiny flathead v8's, small blocks, chopped, channeled, loud pipes and all that - but HONESTLY - if you actually get a chance to drive a decent stock model A you'll get more attention and enjoyment than you would with a hot rod, whether its a clapped together rat rod or a 70K professionally done period correct hot rod, street rod or whatever. Once you make the change you can't go back.

Try and get plugged into a local model A club, you'd be surprised at all the friends you gain and things you learn from people as old or older than your grandfather. I know I have. It becomes a social event too. I've done 800 mile trips with people from my club and explored caves, breweries, wineries, aviation museums driven onto volcano overlooks - and we all got there in our A's and had a blast doing it. There's something special about driving a stock model A that's been mechanically restored right and the capabilities might surprise you. You can still toy with some performance parts that will give you more, dual carbs, overdrives, high compression heads, etc. Some will look as well as they perform too if you're looking for some sleeper flash under the hood, but they can also be changed out in an afternoon back to just how henry had it. If you must go the hot rod route, try and buy one that's already been rodded and either continue your stock project or sell it to someone who will. If you listen to the advice on here I PROMISE you that when the project is completed and you've put some miles on you'll look back and thank us.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:29 AM   #14
tbirdtbird
BANNED

If this current project is 90% done and losing interest and is to be cut up and made into another project, what happens if that new project only gets to 90% ? Then what do we have ?
Old 01-18-2015, 01:36 AM   #15
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
If this current project is 90% done and losing interest and is to be cut up and made into another project, what happens if that new project only gets to 90% ? Then what do we have ?
A hot rodder bargain!
Old 01-18-2015, 01:55 AM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

With age comes wisdom. I messed up a couple motorcycles and cars before I was 22 years old. It didn't take me long to see that I should have kept them original. When's the last time you saw or even heard of a 350 Parilla motorcycle. Sure wish I'd have left it original with it's original paint and parts. You can't go wrong keeping it stock, but I see lots of unfinished rod projects on ebay and beside someone's garage. A stock A is a fun car to drive and talk to people about, especially since it has been in your family.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:14 AM   #17
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Is time the only reason or is there an underlying factor. Have you reached the point where it is beyond your skill level ? If so ask for help because A guys are a giving group. If not sell it the way it is and buy a destroyed rod that somebody else backed away from and took the easy way out. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:04 AM   #18
pooch

To answer your question, price the parts as if you were buying them.

90 % complete and in primer at 15 to 18 K is highly optimistic.

You keep the best part (the body) and the rest is maybe worth 3 to 4 K unless you can prove the work and any warranties that may go with the mechanical work.

The typical guys here would only pay 1500 for a complete chassis.

If you are not chopping the body, I say go for it.

Once you drive a nice rod at 60 MPH in comfort and drive the same original at same speed waiting for the crank to fall out, you will then realize which is more fun.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:37 AM   #19
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Downright fantasy land if you ask me!

You can get a real nice finished Model A for 15 - 18k. Primer and still needs assembly, 1/2 that would be highly optimistic based on what I have seen up for sale.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:04 AM   #20
montanafordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
To answer your question, price the parts as if you were buying them.

You keep the best part (the body) and the rest is maybe worth 3 to 4 K unless you can prove the work and any warranties that may go with the mechanical work.

The typical guys here would only pay 1500 for a complete chassis.

If you are not chopping the body, I say go for it.

Once you drive a nice rod at 60 MPH in comfort and drive the same original at same speed waiting for the crank to fall out, you will then realize which is more fun.
I believe this to be mostly opinion. Who says you have to drive 60+ to have fun? And who says a model A can't be driven comfortably at 55 or 60? Some of the fun is driving a vehicle that doesn't drive 70 and feel like you're going 30. Its an antique! That's what makes it unique and why it draws attention and adds to the fun. The sights, sounds, and usually slower speed can be more fun sometimes too. Sure a bone stock model A shouldn't be driven all day at 60 and will likely lead to a shorter engine life, and with stock wheels and tires your handling and stopping is at its limit around that speed anyway - but add an over drive, a well built engine and properly restored steering, brakes, and suspension you CAN cruise comfortably at 50-60ish. Long road trips are much more comfortable in a Model A with properly restored steering, suspension, and interior than in a chopped rat rod any day of the week. rain or shine. It may take time and money but some minimally invasive mods and quality work a Model A is not a neighborhood under 45 only car and in many cases better suited for actual distance driving trips than a hot rod.