Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-09-2019, 04:10 PM   #1
Ralph 31 Model A

Default Rumble seat instal

I have a 1931 Model A roadster. When ever I the rumble seat, the back of the seat loose... What is the proper way the install the back rest of the seat ?
Ralph 31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:41 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Rumble seat instal

I believe there are screws/bolts that need to be installed on the bottom of the cushion. Remove the seat back and look.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:44 PM   #3
Anteek29

Have the same problem with my rumble seat back.
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:20 PM   #4
alexiskai

To get info about proper attachment of the back rest, you can look at instructions published for converting a trunk to a rumble seat. See the PDF linked below; the back rest is discussed at step 24.
https://www.mikes-afordable.com/docu...Conversion.pdf
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:05 PM   #5
Dick Carne

There should be a pair of clips that are attached to the top of the seat back/cushion, and a corresponding slot to accept these on the upper inside of the rumble lid itself. There should also be either an elongated portion of the seat frame or other attaching clip that would allow for a screw (and washer) to secure the bottom portion of the cushion to the lower portion of the lid once the top of the cushion has been dropped into place. The clips on replacement springs are not nearly as sturdy as those on original seat springs. Good luck on these - its not a difficult challenge so much as being nimble enough to screw the lower portion of the seat spring into place.
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:18 AM   #6
desotoguy

I think Mr. Henry employed a crew of midgets to install the subject screws and tighten the pivot bolts for the lid. This operation certainly wasn't performed by an old guy with bifocals.
desotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:20 AM   #7
dmaxweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Carne View Post
There should be a pair of clips that are attached to the top of the seat back/cushion, and a corresponding slot to accept these on the upper inside of the rumble lid itself. There should also be either an elongated portion of the seat frame or other attaching clip that would allow for a screw (and washer) to secure the bottom portion of the cushion to the lower portion of the lid once the top of the cushion has been dropped into place. The clips on replacement springs are not nearly as sturdy as those on original seat springs. Good luck on these - its not a difficult challenge so much as being nimble enough to screw the lower portion of the seat spring into place.

They don't list them in the catalog but I purchased a pair of seat back clips from Snyders several years ago. Perfect fit and function. Recommend calling them.
dmaxweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:28 AM   #8
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Originally there were D-nuts that were attached to the Rumble/Trunk lid to accept the two screws on the bottom of the backrest, right and left. However on some lids those D-nuts are not there but the cutout is to accept them. If your lid does not have the D-nuts but has the cutout for them, what I did was put the correct D-nut in the hole and then put a good quality peice of tape on the back side of the D-nut. This held the D-nut in place so it was much easier to screw the screw into the nut to hold the bottom of the backrest.

Or if the lid is off the body, you can peen the D-nuts to the lid itself.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote