Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-27-2017, 03:46 AM   #1
Graham Freeman

Default EFV8 Grand National Meet 2018

I am presently trying to put together a trip to this meet next year which is on from 11th - 15th June in Dearborn.
I attended the same meet back in 2008 and the "Ford Mercury Restorers Club" had a swap meet on the weekend following.
Can anyone tell me if this meet is on again next year and what dates.
Also what other swap meets or similar events would be on around that part of the Country around that time frame.

Thankyou
Graham Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:40 AM   #2
Frank Miller

Default Re: EFV8 Grand National Meet 2018

Where are you from? It seems some people are loathe to list their location or even state. it really helps people who want to answer your question. In 2015 I went to the Central Meet but because Iola was a few days before I could stop because it was on my way. Not true if coming form the west.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:43 AM   #3
DavidG

There's the famous Motor Muster at Greenfield Village in Dearborn on the Saturday of the week of the GNM.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:48 AM   #4
KiWinUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
Where are you from? It seems some people are loathe to list their location or even state. it really helps people who want to answer your question. In 2015 I went to the Central Meet but because Iola was a few days before I could stop because it was on my way. Not true if coming form the west.
He is from Christchurch New Zealand
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:42 AM   #5
Seth Swoboda

The meet is back on June 11-15th 2018. There is some early registration information on the EFV8 Club web page. A detailed itinerary has not yet been released. I have however seen some preliminary details of the meet. I can tell you there are a lot of points of interest very near the host hotel that relate to early Fords. Also, the the motor muster is the weekend following as David G has mentioned. Plan on attending this meet. Stay tuned to the EFV8 Club web page as more details come forward. I have spoken with some of the folks planning the meet and they have some very nice opportunities for attendees in the works.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:18 AM   #6
BUBBAS IGNITION

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
The meet is back on June 11-15th 2018. There is some early registration information on the EFV8 Club web page. A detailed itinerary has not yet been released. I have however seen some preliminary details of the meet. I can tell you there are a lot of points of interest very near the host hotel that relate to early Fords. Also, the the motor muster is the weekend following as David G has mentioned. Plan on attending this meet. Stay tuned to the EFV8 Club web page as more details come forward. I have spoken with some of the folks planning the meet and they have some very nice opportunities for attendees in the works.
And a Ignition Seminar from Bubbas Ignition on Tuesday....

Last edited by BUBBAS IGNITION; 10-27-2017 at 10:22 AM.
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:20 AM   #7
Frank Miller

Ah New Zealand. If nothing else can be found the Ford Foundation in Indiana is not far and there are many other cool car museums in that area.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:30 AM   #8
35fordtn

If it were me in your shoes, it would plan the following.....
The Foundation “sneak peak” the day before the gnm starts.
Monday-Friday
Motor muster sat-sun
Hickory Corners
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:29 AM   #9
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
And a Ignition Seminar from Bubbas Ignition on Tuesday....
Bubba/Jim, this sounds good. Will definitely sign up for this. Maybe as part of this seminar you could include some details or your Chevy distributor conversion for 8ba engines, info on rebuilding Harman-Collins dual point, dual coil distributors, and some details on converting a Lincoln V12 distributor to a dual point, dual coil V8 distributor.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 10-27-2017 at 01:14 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:21 PM   #10
Floyd

We just spent a week in Dearborn earlier this month doing nothing but car stuff. Fantastic!
Greenfield Village -1 full day +
The Henry Ford museum -1 day +
Piguette St plant -! full day. ( This is a must for Ford car fans) ! day with time to drive around the old Packard plant
Fairlane; Henry and Clara 's house- 2 hours or so. (only the grounds are open, House under restoration
Ford house- Edsel's house !1 full day . fantastic and take trip along lake.
Detroit Institute of Art- The world famous Diego Rivera murals commissioned by Edsel Ford. See flatheads in a art museum! 4 hours +
Rouge plant tour- 3 hours or so. Good tour but not any of the old plant.(The bus does drive you through the old grounds) New F150 building.
Dearborn Inn - take an hour or so to walk through the building and grounds.
Edison- Boston neighborhood- 2 hours, drive and walk thru the area where Henry and all the heavy hitters from the day lived. (Just off Woodward Ave)
Great place to eat -new; Ford's Garage on Michican Ave next to Comfort Inn. Ford Model A themed and great food, burgers and lots of good draft beer.
Except for Edsel's house at Grosse Pointe, all the other stuff is close or in Dearborn.
My opinion would be to go days or a week early as you will not get to see anything in detail during the meet.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:07 PM   #11
Ingram 33vicky

Have sent in registration. waiting for information on hotels. Am undecieded on taking my 46 woodie 6 cyl w/Columbia. Drive or trailer it? Anyone from the West setting up a tour group? Paul
Ingram 33vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:16 PM   #12
mhsprecher

I am not sure whether I can go, but from what has been written it sounds like I would be unhappy if I missed it!
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:27 PM   #13
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Bubba/Jim, this sounds good. Will definitely sign up for this. Maybe as part of this seminar you could include some details or your Chevy distributor conversion for 8ba engines, info on rebuilding Harman-Collins dual point, dual coil distributors, and some details on converting a Lincoln V12 distributor to a dual point, dual coil V8 distributor.
John,

I have one hour and figured i would just talk about what ever the crowd wanted to discuss. I will also create a handout to cover all the Ford distributors etc. As well as the aftermarket stuff. I figured being the early ford V8 meet most discussion would be on the stock units, the different versions of the helmet , the crab and the loadamatic, vacuum brake and other misunderstood sections . condensors , coils , advance rates .........oh well whatever we do will be fun and informative....looking forward to it.... And i will be in the swap meet every day as well..
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:57 PM   #14
JM 35 Sedan

Jim, that sounds good. I can discuss converting a Lincoln V12 to V8, and some other things one on one with you at your swap meet space.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:03 PM   #15
Graham Freeman

Thanks for the help guys.
As stated by KiWinUS I am from Christchurch New Zealand.
Last time we were over a lot of the museums were visited, Gilmores, Henry Ford Museum and a lot of surrounding Ford places of interest including the Ford family cemetery. The ACD in Indiana, Studebaker and Hudson museums among others.
Really like the swap meets as well and can't get enough of them so would ideally love to include an extra one if timing suits.
The intention was also to travel some of Route 66 and surrounding area before jumping across to California and then home.

Thanks
Graham
Graham Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:04 PM   #16
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
I am not sure whether I can go, but from what has been written it sounds like I would be unhappy if I missed it!
Milford,

I understand your situation. Between work and my family it's impossible for me to make all the meets and some years even just one. I'd like to spend as much time at the meets as possible but some years I have had to cut a day short. Either way, don't fret it too much if you can't make it. We understand. If you can, that's great. We're looking forward to catching up again with good V8 friends.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:02 PM   #17
mhsprecher

Seth, you are right, between work and family. My son will graduate from his Master's program in May and I promised to take him to China after graduation which would be about the same time.

The V8 meet promises to be good one. Of course, I could time the trip so that I would get back from China and land in Detroit and just hang around a few days getting over jet lag! I just thought of that. Not a bad idea!!!
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:08 AM   #18
Frank Miller

You raised him and helped him earn his degree. He should be taking you to the meet. Where is your logic?
In the meantime take plenty of pictures so we can see where all our repo parts are made. :-)
Old 10-28-2017, 01:44 PM   #19
Kens 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Freeman View Post
I am presently trying to put together a trip to this meet next year which is on from 11th - 15th June in Dearborn.
I attended the same meet back in 2008 and the "Ford Mercury Restorers Club" had a swap meet on the weekend following.
Can anyone tell me if this meet is on again next year and what dates.
Also what other swap meets or similar events would be on around that part of the Country around that time frame.

Thankyou
Graham, the Ford & Mercury Restorers Club swap meet next year is scheduled for July 14. Sorry.

Ken
Old 10-28-2017, 03:26 PM   #20
jim1932

I have been saying I would make the meet each year since I got my car, which was Saratoga. For once, things are lining up for me. My work meeting that always messes it up is earlier this year.