Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-31-2013, 04:38 PM   #41
terry

Default Re: is it me ?

no. me too.
terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:17 PM   #42
Fe26

The other day I had the need to use my typewriter....nothing exotic....an electric (!) Brother AX100. A young fella came in to my office and was intrigued by the quaint mechanical contraption. He'd never seen one nor even heard of such a machine !
[Quote]

A few months ago I was on a film set writing some lines on a large blackboard with was being used as a backdrop. Apart from the sound engineer everyone else was in their 20's-30's. In a short time I had an audience watching me writing in Cursive Script. They were amazed that someone could do that, they were commenting on the 'joined up letters' and the 'running writing' and the lost art form, and how none of them had ever seen anyone ever do it. Then true to form they were off to look at the next novelty act; which was an actor arguing with someone.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:20 PM   #43
Binx

That frat boy crap is out of line Kube. Last time I checked, we don't do that here.

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:37 PM   #44
Barn Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37coop View Post
thanks for the response guys ....mixed as I expected but my view hasn't changed ,I was bought up in north London,a rough area with tough people, my parents were the same as everybody then ,hard up and hard working , if I stepped out of line I would get a clump,politeness was a way of life ,please ,thanks etc, I find it a bit sad that bad manners can be excused and people on this site have made excuses for it ,lack of time ,on the internet it is to be expected etc , well my children have similar values to me ,its the way they have been raised ,I think in most cases it starts from the parents ,I might be wrong ,anyway time to stop getting serious , a happy new year to all from here across the pond,we are out tonight , and I might get plastered ....cheers jim.l
I think you might be a little too sensitive for an international site. Most here in the states try to make the most direct answers with no offense intended, but we do have a good heart. We get Asian visitors that bow and then don't know how to respond. BTW, I still don't exactly know what "cheers" means. lol

Last edited by Barn Junk; 12-31-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Barn Junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:16 PM   #45
Kube

[QUOTE=Fe26;794502]The other day I had the need to use my typewriter....nothing exotic....an electric (!) Brother AX100. A young fella came in to my office and was intrigued by the quaint mechanical contraption. He'd never seen one nor even heard of such a machine !
Quote:

A few months ago I was on a film set writing some lines on a large blackboard with was being used as a backdrop. Apart from the sound engineer everyone else was in their 20's-30's. In a short time I had an audience watching me writing in Cursive Script. They were amazed that someone could do that, they were commenting on the 'joined up letters' and the 'running writing' and the lost art form, and how none of them had ever seen anyone ever do it. Then true to form they were off to look at the next novelty act; which was an actor arguing with someone.
Man oh man this rings so true... the youngsters that can't give change without a computer and I started with a slide rule. How many even know what that is these days?
You must be younger than me (a lot) as I started typing on a manual type writer. An electric one? Hadn't heard of those yet.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:17 PM   #46
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binx View Post
That frat boy crap is out of line Kube. Last time I checked, we don't do that here.

Lonnie
Frat boy? Not even close...
Old 12-31-2013, 11:44 PM   #47
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchie View Post
The more ways we have to communicate. The less we have to say to each other.
It is getting to the point where no one knows how to have a conversation anymore.
Especially on the internet....
Torchie.
So true.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:25 AM   #48
37coop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barn Junk View Post
I think you might be a little too sensitive for an international site. Most here in the states try to make the most direct answers with no offense intended, but we do have a good heart. We get Asian visitors that bow and then don't know how to respond. BTW, I still don't exactly know what "cheers" means. lol
hello , in response to your message I don't exclusively have this issue with americans,brits too ,so the use of an international site is neither here nor there ,we have visited the usa many times, you are different to us brits of course but for the most part polite and friendly and we enjoy being around you,,,,the word cheers over here means thanks ..good luck
cheers jim.
37coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:56 AM   #49
Model A Bill

Would someone PLEASE pull the plug on this thread I think its circled the drain long enough.THANK YOU
Model A Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:11 AM   #50
37coop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Bill View Post
Would someone PLEASE pull the plug on this thread I think its circled the drain long enough.THANK YOU
I guess you can just not click onto the subject but I agree ,I,v enjoyed the debate and at the end of the day we all love fords ,over and out
cheers jim.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:17 AM   #51
mike42

Hey Coop.....aren't you glad you made your post ? LOL

Mike
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:57 AM   #52
37coop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike42 View Post
Hey Coop.....aren't you glad you made your post ? LOL

Mike
blimey mike ,it made my head spin a bit but I enjoyed the banter and we are all entitled to different views and of course we all think we are right . now I guess back to posting on fords , cheers jim.