Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #21
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Winnsboro Texas Autumn Trails?

The rear end getting locked up was also my first thought. Had it happen to a Corvan I bought in the late 60's, and when it happened it happened all of a sudden with only a second's notice. I didn't even have time to pull off the road. You were lucky you could coat to the side.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:50 PM   #22
kenparker

Default Re: Winnsboro Texas Autumn Trails?

O K FB'ers. Here is chapter 2. Sunday morning I could not stand the idea of not knowing what happened to 'le coupe. She was disembarked from the trailer and towed into the open area of my shop where I have a chain hoist and the disassembly began. It did not take long to get the rear end out from under her. Nuts and bolts removed, pins removed, Ujoint cover removed and shocks disconnected, the the whole rear end of the car lifted by the chain hoist leaving the rear end and wheels on the ground. Then rear end was rolled out from under.

Torque Tube removed from Banjo, then using my pinion puller the Drive Shaft along with the Pinon and the Race and bearing were removed from the Banjo. What you see in the picture is what I found. I have not dissassembled the Ring yet. Some of the metal from the pinion is stuck to the Ring Teeth, but the Ring Teeth do not have near the damage that the pinion has. Mostly scratching and nicking. Dont worry, guys, no way am I going to put that Ring back in the Rear End. Also there is no damage to the Spider Gears - none. Strange.

The Races in the Axel Housing are not the least damaged so I keep and use the Baking Plates, Brake assembly and Axel Housings. While apart I will replace all bearings and Ring and Pinion and hopefully back "on the road again".

I am still curious as to why. The only warning was a racket not unlike grinding into second gear - you know that sound all of us make sometime-, then the engine backfires and died. The grinding lasted less than one second. One more odd thing. On the side of the road the Banjo area around the Pinon was HOT. Smoking on the outside HOT.

Gotta do a lot of getting ready for the November 8 Hillclimb tommorrow, so will have to take the day off from Mibble repair - resuming repair on Wednesday.

Meantime take a look at the new post at the top and its accompaning flyer about the Hillclimb. Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mibble pinion 1.jpg (61.6 KB, 12 views)
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)