Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
Mikeinnj

Default Tainted BP gasoline alert

BP Company has put out an alert regarding tainted gas that was shipped to their distributors in the Milwaukee and Chicago area recent days, weeks,.....here is a link to the story:

http://www.weau.com/news/headlines/B...167024545.html
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
MrTube

Default Re: Tainted BP gasoline alert

Oh wonderful, another reason for everyone else to jack their prices up a good 30-40 cents a gallon.

I like this comment : "Yesterday morning, come out to try to start it, it wouldn't start. Again today my wife goes out to leave for work, it still won't start,” said driver, Jerome Pace.

So he assumed if he just went in and took a nap the car would fix it self and start for his wife?
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
Aerocraft

At this point, all of the BP gas is supposed to have been "recalled". I would guess that the bad stuff might not have much impact on the low compression Model A's. It would be interesting to hear from someone who had experience with the "tainted" stuff.

Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocraft View Post
At this point, all of the BP gas is supposed to have been "recalled". I would guess that the bad stuff might not have much impact on the low compression Model A's. It would be interesting to hear from someone who had experience with the "tainted" stuff.

Gar Williams

I wouldn't guess that. The fact it causes a car not to start after its been shut off would not have anything to do with the octane of the fuel. I'm also sure if it somehow clogs up injectors it will have no problem clogging up a carburetor.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
miss victoria

in calif we had a chevron refinery fire,price of gas jumped 30 cents now they say the hurricane in the gluf will raise the price. just paid $ 3.99.9 for reg. cheapest in town.
miss victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
MikeK

Well now, after the gulf oil disaster, everyone knows BP tells the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Unconfirmed street talk around the refinery sez BP was in the habit of DUMPING excess, unwanted, non-flammable polymer fraction waste into the gasoline, just a tiny % per batch. This time they goofed and exceeded the solubility parameters for E10 base stock, which contains NO ethanol. It was OK 'till the alky was added when the stuff was transferred to 18 wheelers, etc. Then the polymer crap fell out of solution. Again, just an earful I got. No confirmation. Anybody know details of what BP's official explanation is?
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
socalplanedoc

I always tought that "tainted" and "BP" in the same sentence was redundant
socalplanedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
spdway1

Thanks for looking out and passing on the news to fellow car hobbist.

but, After the Gulf Incident, I would NEVER buy BP Gas, I would push my Model A uphill then when I got to the top I would turn it around a coast drive it down! LMAO
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:00 AM   #9
Barney

Hi Guys,
This can happen even once. How BP has handled the disaster in the Gulf was not great. But that could happen to any other oil-company.
BP has surprised me: I took my new Opel Insignia (in America is this the 2012 Buick Regal) at the car wash that belongs to a BP station. While rinsing something went wrong. The brush tore off half the roof spoiler. BP replaced all instantly and without excuses. Very courteous and prompt. BP is not better or worse than other oil-firms.
Greetings Barney
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #10
Clydes 31 P/U

I had heard about this last week and never really gave it a thought until Friday night. We went out to the fish fry a couple towns over,went in and had a great supper. We went out to the Expedition, it fired up then it started running real rough then died. It would crank but not start, called AAA for a tow, waited 3 hrs for the truck to show, got it home checked the fuse, the saftey shut off, the relay, and power to the pump all good, ran a scan no codes. I dropped the tank replaced the pump, bingo runs like a champ. My question is this, did this "tainted" gas take out the pump or plug the injectors on these other cars? I have no proof that it was bad gas and we use this vehicle maybe 4 or 5 times a month. Please chime in if you think it was bad gas or just bad luck? It would be nice to know because when I fill up the Expedition I generally fill up 4- 5 gallon cans at the same time and haven't had any issues with the tractors, yes this has 10% ethylcrawl in it and I put sta-bil in the cans and sea foam in the vehicles. So what do you Guys think? Thanks P.S. the sock filter on the pump was fairly clean, the can filter when drained back looked like tea and just to keep it legal I want to use this to pull the A to the steam show this weekend and not have to worry about the rest of my fuel system.
Clydes 31 P/U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #11
bobpo

I just wonder if this could have some bearing on the fact that my wife and I recently saw a local Brand X tanker truck at a local BP station.

For 25 years I worked the midnight shift in Toledo and would time and time again, see these Brand X Tankers filling the tanks of Name Brand Gas Stations. And yet many people I know would tell me that they would only buy a certain brand of gas when in fact they had no idea what they were putting into their tanks.

The difference is now I'm beginning to see the bulk suppliers at Name Brand Stations in broad daylight.

My rule has always been, "never buy gas at a station when the tanker truck is there filling the station's tanks". Too much sediment potential.
bobpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #12
Afordman31

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss victoria View Post
in calif we had a chevron refinery fire,price of gas jumped 30 cents now they say the hurricane in the gulf will raise the price. just paid $ 3.99.9 for reg. cheapest in town.
In southest Michigan the price is $4.09 for regular. Higher than in California this morning. Some stations $4.11 to $4.25. People on a fixed income or those working for minimum wage and just starting out with a family, I feel sorry for.
Afordman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #13
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Well now, after the gulf oil disaster, everyone knows BP tells the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Unconfirmed street talk around the refinery sez BP was in the habit of DUMPING excess, unwanted, non-flammable polymer fraction waste into the gasoline, just a tiny % per batch. This time they goofed and exceeded the solubility parameters for E10 base stock, which contains NO ethanol. It was OK 'till the alky was added when the stuff was transferred to 18 wheelers, etc. Then the polymer crap fell out of solution. Again, just an earful I got. No confirmation. Anybody know details of what BP's official explanation is?

This MIGHT have something to do with my experience troubleshooting no start situations on lawn mowers, Model As and fuel injected cars where I poured the "gasoline" on the ground, lit a match and the flame promptly went out when dropped on the ground near the "gasoline". The fumes did not even burn ... I wonder why the engines did not run "Winkie Winkie "?

Oh yeah these companies are telling us the truth !! Yeah Sure!

Last edited by Benson; 08-29-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #14
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
This MIGHT have something to do with my experience troubleshooting no start situations on lawn mowers, Model As and fuel injected cars where I poured the "gasoline" on the ground, lit a match and the flame promptly went out when dropped on the ground near the "gasoline". The fumes did not even burn ... I wonder why the engines did not run "Winkie Winkie "?

Oh yeah these companies are telling us the truth !! Yeah Sure!

Pouring gasoline on the ground, nice...
I believe stale gas will not burn either which is often the case in lawn mowers.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #15
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTube View Post
Pouring gasoline on the ground, nice...
I believe stale gas will not burn either which is often the case in lawn mowers.
Not large amounts ... only enough to see if it would burn.

AND this "Gasoline" was only 3 months old!
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #16
tamagrouchy

After checking their website today, I am pretty my station was affected, but not sure if I got the bad stuff. I recall the night I bought the fuel, that they only had premium, all the regular and mid-grade were marked as OUT. I recall reading later that only the lower grades were affected, so I SHOULD be OK. I put fuel in from a Mobil station last night, just to be safe and I did notice that my idle did improve. Hopefully I don't need to tear apart the carb
tamagrouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #17
miss victoria

yesterday $399.9 today $411.9
miss victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #18
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss victoria View Post
yesterday $399.9 today $411.9
Whats the problem? Do you see something wrong with them raising prices to make up for them screwing us in the first place?

I don't know about others, but I have a 110 mile per day commute (55 each way). So unfortunately even a 10 cent increase per gallon hurts.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #19
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpo View Post
I just wonder if this could have some bearing on the fact that my wife and I recently saw a local Brand X tanker truck at a local BP station.

For 25 years I worked the midnight shift in Toledo and would time and time again, see these Brand X Tankers filling the tanks of Name Brand Gas Stations. And yet many people I know would tell me that they would only buy a certain brand of gas when in fact they had no idea what they were putting into their tanks.

The difference is now I'm beginning to see the bulk suppliers at Name Brand Stations in broad daylight.

My rule has always been, "never buy gas at a station when the tanker truck is there filling the station's tanks". Too much sediment potential.
In another life (before I quit workin') I serviced the computer equipment at an Exxon tank farm. The gasoline went out of there on Gulf, Quaker State and several other brands besides Exxon. They told me it was common practice to swap gas between brands to cut down on transportation costs. I too, used to favor one brand over another until I learned this. Maybe in high population areas they can all afford their own tank farms, but in my rural area this is how it was done.

Ernie
Semper Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #20
Keith True

It's the same way here too Ernie.I've hauled gas,I got a surprise years ago when I went to the tank farm to load up.I got in line behind a half dozen different brand trucks.I was told that with modern day technology oil is cracked into gas at the same specs. Name specific additives were added at the loading process.There a couple of tanks at that tank farm that are name brand,one is Irving,but they even have their own ships.The BP in town is not owned by BP,and hasn't been for years.The owner of the business,or lessee,told me that BP sold off a lot of their retail operations in the northeast many years ago.When they sold them off the BP name and credit card accounts went with the deal.He writes his checks to Getty.He also said that another BP about 16 miles away has no connection the his parent company,they write their checks to north something petroleum.We don't really know where our gas comes from.It may be different in other parts of the country,but here in Newington at the farm they are community tanks.You can really pick up some interesting tidbits from the tank farm workers while standing by the rack loading.They get a lot from the boys working on the tankers while they unload.It takes a while to pump off a tanker,a job with hours of boredom.Everybody has to be on alert,in case of a thousand possible mishaps.You just stand there for hours on end and watch.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote