Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-20-2020, 04:37 PM   #1
JOHNCL

Default Uni-steer decision

I am converting my 1934 Ford pickup with a SBC engine to cross steering because of severe bump steer problems with side steering. I have been using a tight F1 box, but the drag link angle was too severe. I tried to raise the box to get the angle better but the pitman arm and drag link were too close to the frame side. So, I started to fit a Saginaw "big" box for cross steering, but the 34 frame is too narrow and a smaller Vega box is usually advocated for 28-34 frames. So, I decided to order a Uni-Steer rack and pinion set up. I will try it using a connection to the p-side steering arm even though some guys say it reduces turning radius to do it this way. I may have just tolerate that or switch to a Jeep tie rod end to put the Uni-Steer on the same steering arm as the tie rod. I also ordered a Panhard rod kit.

Is there anything else I need to be considering?
JOHNCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 05:17 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Uni-steer decision

This is the Model A section 28-31. Try the V8 section or you'd probably be better off over on the HAMB.
Personally I don't think your drag link angle is the problem, most likely something worn in the front end, from the box forward. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-21-2020, 12:56 PM   #3
Jim Brierley

Shortening the pitman arm might reduce the drag link angle, and help a little. It will also make steering effort easier. I shortened the arm on my '31 years ago, and find the small reduction in turning radius not a problem.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 06:45 PM   #4
JOHNCL

Perhaps I should have posted this elsewhere. But the side steering pieces listed in catalogs group things '28-'34 and I figured people here would be informed about it as much as the [people with 32-34 cars and trucks. Believe me, the pieces are fully reconditioned and not worn nor loose. The problem really is, in my case, the angle of the drag link relative to the pivot of the wishbone. My 32 has better drag link angle (essentially stock) and minimal bump steer, just like Pete Eastwood has diligently tried to teach us. So, if anyone has Uni-Steer experience and advice I'd like to learn from you.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:17 PM   #5
Pete

It has been done a million times. You CAN make a good front end with MODIFIED stock parts. You DO NOT need the headaches of trying to use a rack and pinion on a solid axle.
If you think you have problems now, just proceed the way you are going for a REAL headache.

How about some pics?
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:42 AM   #6
JOHNCL

Pete, I pointed out that my 32 works pretty well in stock side steer configuration. My 34, now disassembled in front and with the F1 box removed, is not now worth photographing, but I'll squirt something when assembly of new parts gets underway. The Uni-steer will be frame mounted, not axle mounted, which is akin to the Vega box approach shown in the Pete and Jakes catalog. So what dilemmas are you referring to?
Old 03-22-2020, 06:55 PM   #7
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNCL View Post
Pete, I pointed out that my 32 works pretty well in stock side steer configuration. My 34, now disassembled in front and with the F1 box removed, is not now worth photographing, but I'll squirt something when assembly of new parts gets underway. The Uni-steer will be frame mounted, not axle mounted, which is akin to the Vega box approach shown in the Pete and Jakes catalog. So what dilemmas are you referring to?
Rack and pinion steering was invented for independent front ends,, NOT solid axles.
Some like it, some do not. You can go to the HAMB for several hours of reading on the subject. Just type in "Uni-Steer" in the search.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:46 PM   #8
Woodys29

Have you ever had your axle checked for camber and caster? You have to bend the axle to correct it.that will cure that death wobble.i know this from experience.
Woodys29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:56 AM   #9
JOHNCL

Pete, I hope my results correspond to the positive comments of others. Of course, rack and pinion steering is ideal for IFS and I have used it on race cars with IFS. The geometric logic is as impeccable as yours is with respect to stock-style side steering. I have applied such logic to cross-steer systems and see no reason to reject Uni-Steer on that basis. If I am missing something I'd like to be advised of what I might be missing, that's all.

Thanks for responding. Your reputation is rock solid positive. I respect your accomplishments.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:52 PM   #10
JOHNCL

I have completed installation and testing of a Unisteer setup in my 1934 Ford pickup now that the machine shop has completed my SBC engine. It is 100% to my satisfaction! The substantial investment included hairpin radius rods and Panhard bar from Pete and Jakes. Also put in a steering column and shiny stuff related to that. Would I do it again? Yes, but better.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:31 AM   #11
updraught

Just in case anyone was wondering what the Unisteer thing was about, it seems to be a rack that pushes on one side only (from what I gather). Like a cross steer sort of half rack.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote