Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-30-2015, 10:25 AM   #1
TagMan

Default Yet another MACS experience !

I wanted to get a ’33 Ford hood ornament badge. I looked in MACS catalog, (which I received about 4-weeks ago) and saw they were $15.95. I went to add the badge to an order I was placing online and the price appeared, as $49.99 !!

I figured it was a problem with the online catalog, so I didn’t bother ordering it. I placed the rest of the order for pick-up and drove over to Buffalo yesterday. I asked the counter man to check that part number and it came up on his computer as $52.95 !!

I showed him the catalog price and he said that several items had doubled or tripled in price because they had some "new Suppliers". I think it’s more likely that Eckcler’s is just trying to stick it to the consumer, unless, of course, they brought the manufacture of the item back to the USA, but the counter man couldn’t tell me where it was made.

I’ve always been a proponent of MACS and have been dealing with them for 30-years or so, back to when they were on Lincoln Ave. in Lockport and Mr. MacIntosh ran the business, but a 300+% increase is WAY out of line, in my opinion. From now on, I guess my business will go to C&G or one of the other Suppliers.
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:28 PM   #2
Eckler's

Default Re: Yet another MACS experience !

Do you remember the part number so i can look up the pricing history?

Email me direct at [email protected]
Eckler's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 04:09 PM   #3
jimTN

Since we have a rep on the line, let ,me make a suggestion about pricing. I am getting constant discount emails of 20% or less. Mac's is about 30% higher than they should be and what the competition is, cut your prices across the board 30% and you would be surprised how much business would come in.
As it is, its just not worth the effort when we can get quality parts for less elsewhere and good service.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:19 PM   #4
jacob smith

One thing will always be true the customer will think the price is to high and the seller to low. I have gotten many things from Mac and have always been happy. Customer service is very important and I buy not always by price but service. The fact the a Mac rep is speaking up to help means a lot in my book.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:25 PM   #5
petes 50 merc

just bought a glove box liner from macs cheaper than other places. and got it in 5 days im in ca. always did good with macs
petes 50 merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:37 PM   #6
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petes 50 merc View Post
just bought a glove box liner from macs cheaper than other places. and got it in 5 days im in ca. always did good with macs
I've never had a problem with MAC's...

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 01-31-2016 at 07:28 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:30 PM   #7
trike84

Well hell, I ordered a rotor for a 37 ford dist in may and it still hasn't arrived. called three or four time's and got the it back ordered or it coming in any day. The last time it was at the warehouse waiting to be stocked so it could be shipped. Gave up and got a dist from Bubba's. lost the summer, I think that if its in the catalog, it should be on the shelf. This on demand on time Economy sucks, Napa getting just as bad. Enough of my rant, I feel better
trike84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:34 PM   #8
TagMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckler's View Post
Scott,
The part number is 18-8212 and is listed in the catalog at a price of $15.75. It's on page 67, although the index appears to be off 2 pages. The index has page 69 listed.
Thanks,
Bob
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:57 PM   #9
Charlie ny
BANNED

TM,
Upon occasion I've dissed Macs but ALWAYS come back all things considered
I like Macs.....do what I do......pickup your order between noon and one, they usually
have that great looking brunette at the counter.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:05 PM   #10
Sixseven

Is there any difference in the parts between the various sellers? I know people always complain about high cost and as we similarly see with some big box retailers, you can get a lower price but it will match lower quality. The price war that ensues is all about who can make the product with less quality to satisfy the lower price demand until we end up with parts that are junk. I'm afraid that in my business, I see people buy competitors junk all the time at a lower cost, only to be completely dissatisfied with what they ended up with.
Sixseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:51 PM   #11
bullrunmotor

I wanted to buy a cowl wiring harness earlier today-which would fit in a $6.95 flat rate USPS box-heck 3 of them would fit in the UPSS box-Mac's part Price was OK but they wanted $29.95 for shipping. I've read so many complaints about their shipping charges. No Thanks-got it on line
bullrunmotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:21 PM   #12
paul2748

Since Ecklers took over, shipping prices have gone out of sight.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 03:01 AM   #13
flatheadmurre

I think Ecklers dont understand the Ford parts system to start with...they started by messing with the parts numbering leaving fords system to adapt their own...
After that came the constant spamming.
I want a parts store that is easily available when i need the parts not a constant nagging bargain store.
And mac was getting a lot of buisness from us cause they used to be real good !!
Now you basicly have to have the parts hands on to check what you get.
The lack of quality control of incoming parts is obvious.
This year the orders went somewhere else.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 03:54 AM   #14
Marv

Shipping is terrible. Buy a $2 part that will fit in a letter envelope and get charged $9.95 for shipping.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:36 PM   #15
paul2748

I think they did the same when they bought out Dearborn Classics. Got their own numbering system instead of Fords so you can't compare parts with a parts book. Dumb move in my opinion. That's why I buy my later parts from Auto Krafters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadmurre View Post
I think Ecklers dont understand the Ford parts system to start with...they started by messing with the parts numbering leaving fords system to adapt their own...
After that came the constant spamming.
I want a parts store that is easily available when i need the parts not a constant nagging bargain store.
And mac was getting a lot of buisness from us cause they used to be real good !!
Now you basicly have to have the parts hands on to check what you get.
The lack of quality control of incoming parts is obvious.
This year the orders went somewhere else.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:02 AM   #16
5851a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
Shipping is terrible. Buy a $2 part that will fit in a letter envelope and get charged $9.95 for shipping.
Nothing to do with Mac's but I renew my license stickers by mail from the court house, they charge a dollar for each. Guess what, I got the stickers and registrations the other day and they managed to get 7 of them crammed in one envelope that cost them 49 cents to send. Guess one of them girls had $6.50 worth of doughnuts the next day.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:05 AM   #17
Ol' Ron

I just had my first, and last, experience with them.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:22 AM   #18
JSeery
Member Emeritus

What happened Ron?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:23 AM   #19
melisa

every time I order from them the prices are higher than in there catalog. get the same response-new vender-. What are they doing, do they have no items on shelf. is each item I buy have a new vendor. 53 merc, 53 ford, 49 ford, 62 ford, 28 ford tudor,28 ford roadster truck, 29 briggs fordor 31 ford truck rat rod. their prices are no longer valid in their cat., so maybe they should leave them out. I look elsewhere when I purchase att. Melisa
melisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:23 PM   #20
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckler's View Post
Hey SCOTT BROOKS at Ecklers.......Trevor, and now YOU, have been playing this same game since late January. Once again, a dis-satisfied customer posts about another legitimate, unpleasant MAC's experience, and you jump-in here with a little bit more of what has now become just more rhetorical BS. For instance, do you not have access to a MAC's catalog so that YOU "can look up the pricing history"? What the heck difference will a "pricing history" make for any future customers anyway? Besides that little song and dance, it seems that if you were at least sincere, you could have probably researched that history and replied with SOMETHING in far less than the two days it's been so far. Almost seems like your rare and impromptu appearances here are only to pat the few remaining sheep on the head when they become most-restless. NOTHING has changed in a positive direction since your first post on Jan. 28, despite your repeated implications that The Company cares. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote