Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-28-2017, 09:51 AM   #1
JDupuis

Default How many tow trailers with their "A"?

Just wondering if other Barners tow trailers with their A?
If so, any pictures?
Here's mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (62.7 KB, 205 views)
Old 01-28-2017, 10:02 AM   #2
René W

Default Re: How many tow trailers with their "A"?

I want to build a trailer but still struggling to find an axle with brakes for cheap,i have some A wheels and can build a frame and i have an axle with no brakes,
But i rather like to have brakes because the brakes of the tudor are not exactly the most powerful in the world.
Do you have brakes on the trailer and what kind of axle are you using?
Old 01-28-2017, 10:24 AM   #3
JDupuis

Hey René, I don't have brakes on this trailer, I do however have cast drums with bonded and arch'd shoes on. The engine is still standard, meaning original cam with no perfomance modifications done to it. The trailer weighs about 600 pounds. You do notice it back there. The axle is the original one that came with the camper. This camper was built sometime in the 40's. I was lucky that the axle spindle used the same bearings as the front bearings on the Model A. So my wheel hubs are model A fronts with old drums, thus giving the 19" A wheels the proper support needed on the back of the rim. I've owned this camper for 33 years now, and have good memories of taking my girls camping and fishing with it. Jeff
Old 01-28-2017, 10:48 AM   #4
René W

Thanks Jeff,i want no camper but some kind of staked bed trailer to haul 2 antique motorcycles,the weight of the trailer should be around 400 pounds with a load capacity of 400 pounds,this means there is no registration demanded overhere and no tax.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:14 AM   #5
3.6rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by René W View Post
Thanks Jeff,i want no camper but some kind of staked bed trailer to haul 2 antique motorcycles,the weight of the trailer should be around 400 pounds with a load capacity of 400 pounds,this means there is no registration demanded overhere and no tax.
And how about the insurance ? You have blue/grey (classic) plates, are you allowed to "work" with your A ?
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:45 AM   #6
René W

In Holland a trailer is automatically insured with the car insurance if it is under 750kg own wieght and load capacity together.
The blue plates are not classic plates but original plates,blue plates were normal till i think around '78,after nthat they become the yellow EU stamped plates.
If your car is before the date when the yellow plates came you can have blue plates,even when you imported a car.
I have oldtimer insurance with no restriction on miles,use as a daily and a trailer is included
Old 01-28-2017, 12:42 PM   #7
HoarseWhisperer

Images from 2010 "International Model A Day" at Unionville, Ontario Canada

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:18 PM   #8
Synchro909

I've towed a camper trailer behind one of my As for tens of thousands on miles. With electric brakes on the trailer, I can pull up quicker with it on than solo car. Sorry, one is "A" - up and I don't know how to fix it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0169.jpg (89.9 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 034.jpg (54.2 KB, 130 views)
Old 01-28-2017, 05:18 PM   #9
Hoogah

Here ya go, Synchro . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5322.JPG (126.3 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by Hoogah; 01-28-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:52 PM   #10
Hoogah

I tow an old trailer around locally, putting the A to work - usually taking garden waste to the tip or in one of the photos below, picking up party supplies for my 60th a couple of years ago!

The other photo with the '28 Nash tub in the trailer was posed after towing it home behind my modern car from it's previous home, a 2-hour drive away. It was too good an opportunity to pass up!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060562.jpg (113.6 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg P1060386(25%).jpg (82.6 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg 31052014178.jpg (90.3 KB, 119 views)
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:01 PM   #11
Synchro909

Thanks, Hoog.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:38 PM   #12
oldwoodsman

Four people, camping gear, and 2200 miles at 40 to 50 mph with a average of 16 mpg great trip with my siblings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg montana.jpg (166.0 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg jersey lilly.jpg (327.2 KB, 156 views)

Last edited by oldwoodsman; 01-28-2017 at 08:58 PM.
oldwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:00 PM   #13
31a

I have a 28 Roadster p/u with a Model A trailer pulls very well no problem, have it listed in for sale items, also have trailer hitches to fit model As Bob
31a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:03 AM   #14
denis4x4

Old woodsman...what kind of mirror are you using? Looking at west coast Jr. Truck mirrors for the '29 CCPU
Old 01-29-2017, 01:51 AM   #15
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
I want to build a trailer but still struggling to find an axle with brakes for cheap,i have some A wheels and can build a frame and i have an axle with no brakes,
But i rather like to have brakes because the brakes of the tudor are not exactly the most powerful in the world.
Do you have brakes on the trailer and what kind of axle are you using?
Here in the states you can get the backing plates, drums, wheel adapters, wire and controller for about $330.00.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:40 AM   #16
H. L. Chauvin

Had two (2) homemade trailers a few years back. One made with an A front axle, the other a B front axle; both originally made in about 1932 and restored in about 1960. Still have only the complete A & B axle assemblies.

One was a utility trailer, the other a boat trailer. Both completely built with a wood framed structure, both rigged with a 4" pipe tongue, easily pulled by my Model A.

Both had Model A brake/tail lights; neither one had brakes, neither one had insurance .... in fact my Model A and my other car back then had no insurance because it was not mandatory.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:14 AM   #17
Ray in La Mesa

My '28 pickup has a bed & chassis lengthened 2'. I also have a matching A pickup bed trailer lengthened 2' with a '40 Ford front axle with 19" wheels cut down to 16". Both are beaters used to haul anything I need.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:32 AM   #18
oldwoodsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
Old woodsman...what kind of mirror are you using? Looking at west coast Jr. Truck mirrors for the '29 CCPU
4x4 I really don't know what it came from picked it up in a junk shop but had to make an extension to get it out farther for visibility.
oldwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:13 AM   #19
René W

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Had two (2) homemade trailers a few years back. One made with an A front axle, the other a B front axle; both originally made in about 1932 and restored in about 1960. Still have only the complete A & B axle assemblies.

One was a utility trailer, the other a boat trailer. Both completely built with a wood framed structure, both rigged with a 4" pipe tongue, easily pulled by my Model A.

Both had Model A brake/tail lights; neither one had brakes, neither one had insurance .... in fact my Model A and my other car back then had no insurance because it was not mandatory.
Made of an A front axle.........how were the wheels/hubs fixed?and does a trailer need to have toe in/out and camber/caster?
Old 01-29-2017, 12:07 PM   #20
V4F

I tow a small one with camping gear in it
Old 01-29-2017, 02:42 PM   #21
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Made of an A front axle.........how were the wheels/hubs fixed?and does a trailer need to have toe in/out and camber/caster?
I've always built my own trailer axles when I build trailers. I mostly use 2" square tubing with 1/4" wall thickness. I cut the ends square and weld 1/2" thick steel plates, so the plates are parallel to each other. I then go to the junk yard and buy rear spindles and hubs from Mo Par cars that are front wheel drive. This gives 0 toe in and works great. In fact my trailer tires rot out before they wear out.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:07 PM   #22
Dick Carne

I am curious as to how these would be connected to a Model A itself. I've seen a couple of instances where folks have made another cross piece that would go between the bumpers with a ball centered on this piece.

A couple of summers back, I acquired the "body" of a Mullins trailer (minus the frame and axle/wheels setup). The cars that I have that I would possibly consider using a trailer with, each have the rear bumper extension like the one shown on p. 112 of the current Bratton's catalogue (part #24671). Could a bumper hitch be possibly fabricated to attach through the bumper to the extension bracket where the center bumper clamp would otherwise be attached?

Thanks once again for everyone's thoughts and recommendations.

Dick
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:48 PM   #23
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray in La Mesa View Post
My '28 pickup has a bed & chassis lengthened 2'. I also have a matching A pickup bed trailer lengthened 2' with a '40 Ford front axle with 19" wheels cut down to 16". Both are beaters used to haul anything I need.
Photos please???
Old 01-29-2017, 04:49 PM   #24
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Rene,

Per your no. 19 Question:

"Made of an A front axle.........how were the wheels/hubs fixed?and does a trailer need to have toe in/out and camber/caster?"

A. With common sense back then, maybe many learned things from their horses prior to today's formal education, (i.e., horse sense), and everything seemed so simple and ingenious back then.

B. The boat trailer with the Model B front axle was originally built by my mechanic Uncle, (born 1905); the utility trailer with the Model A axle was originally built by my mechanic Dad, (born 1902).

C. Both of these gentlemen were so brilliant, gifted, and talented, they were even very capable of most successfully setting thousands and thousands of Babbitt bearings for years with out having Babbitt setting problems and never had to rely on tin foil, metal shims, and Plastigage.

D. Anyway, both front axles were installed with:

1. Original vintage front springs, original front spring center bolt, and original shackles; and,

2. Original securely bolted front wheel backing plates; and,

3. Original axle spindles, original front wheel bearings, & original front brake hubs, (with brake shoes etc, removed), secured with original front spindle nut & washer; and,

4. With untouched original front axle camber; and,

5. Because the wishbone ball was pointing towards out front, and the axle provided behind the wishbone ball, very minor toe-in was set towards the front of the these proposed two (2) trailer axles at approximately 1/32" toe-in, (also, naturally measured without Plastigage); and

6. Both trailers were provided with 1930's 600-16 spoked wheels and 600-16 tubes & "whitewall" tires. (Hope "whitewalls" can obtain a Forum waiver if used on a 1930's trailer?); and,

7. The utility trailer had 1930's steel fenders; however, the boat trailer had no fenders; hence, well worn tires with worn treads were carefully selected for the boat trailer with no fenders, purposely, so when traveling on all gravel roads back then, these smooth tires could not pick up gravel and throw them at the bottom of the wood boat and not throw gravel back at the car pulling the trailer. (Remember my Uncle's 1932 4dr Town Sedan Dodge; do not remember my Dad's Overland from back then, but remember his the 1942 Desoto he bought with intuition, i.e., immediately after the December 7th Pear Harbor attack, after which, cars were no longer available.

E. After toe-in, the A axle had the spindles welded and fixed; The B axle after toe-in had the tie rod securely fastened to one side of the wish bone with a "U" bolt.

F. The "very most important measurement" in making these vintage trailers was to insure that measurement the from the "center" of the trailer ball receiver on the tongue to the inner or outer rim of the two (2) steel wheels were "exactly" alike to insure "perfect" trailering with no wandering and weaving. These measurements were naturally taken with no problems without tin foil, shims and Plastigage.

G. Because of having no brakes, and because of having no steering, when trailer wheels set as described above, these original trailer tires never had any problems in 60 years of use.

Sincerely hope this helps to begin building a trailer with a vintage axle.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:25 PM   #25
René W

Thanks,this helps a lot.
I am still not sure what i will do,i like the idea of building a period correct trailer with vintage axle,but on the other hand i like brakes on the trailer so i might go for a modern torsion axle with brakes,
These can be converted to model A wheels wit a spacer which i can make myself.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:58 PM   #26
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Rene,

You are very welcome. Your country is so beautiful .... I landed and stopped there about 36 years ago in a military plane.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:09 PM   #27
René W

36 years ago this country was more beautiful as nowadays...............so was i......
Old 01-29-2017, 07:44 PM   #28
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Rene,

At least we are still here

Not to mention that immediately after we left Amsterdam, (while over La Manche), a hydraulic control line bursted on our plane, and we barely forced landed in some remote rural airfield in England and had to take a very long British military bus ride back to London.

We all really enjoyed that nice bus ride and the view of rolling pastures with well groomed thoroughbred horses, and the most beautiful English quaint villages with narrow streets.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:28 AM   #29
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Carne View Post
I am curious as to how these would be connected to a Model A itself. I've seen a couple of instances where folks have made another cross piece that would go between the bumpers with a ball centered on this piece.

A couple of summers back, I acquired the "body" of a Mullins trailer (minus the frame and axle/wheels setup). The cars that I have that I would possibly consider using a trailer with, each have the rear bumper extension like the one shown on p. 112 of the current Bratton's catalogue (part #24671). Could a bumper hitch be possibly fabricated to attach through the bumper to the extension bracket where the center bumper clamp would otherwise be attached?

Thanks once again for everyone's thoughts and recommendations.

Dick
Here's the trailer hitch I have on my Pick Up:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trailer Hitch.JPG (159.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1246.JPG (135.7 KB, 35 views)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:46 PM   #30
Dick Carne

Thanks Carl for your kind response. Your hitch appears to have been professionally designed and fabricated. Do you have a ready source for something like this?

Thanks again -

Dick
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:51 PM   #31
JDupuis

Dick, my hitch is simular to CarlG. I fabricated mine from a used hidden hitch off a Dodge Mini van. Jeff