Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-01-2016, 10:49 PM   #21
Henry's Lady's Man

Default Re: Engine turns by hand, with effort...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I wonder if the crank journals are oval, and you are measuring the narrow part?

It should spin quite easily at .0015" clearance.
Though I didn't take the crank in for any testing, I DID measure the journals for ovalness and didn't find any. The crank had been ground down at some point to .030 under. I measured all around the journals, and they uniform.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:53 PM   #22
Henry's Lady's Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by aonemarine View Post
did you try prying the crank to the front and rear of block and spinning it??
There wasn't any clearance to move the crank forward or back. It must have good tolerance. I put 1000 + miles on this vehicle since I bought it, and I was always able to turn the engine by hand. The crank wasn't altered, ('cept for those shims), so it should be the same. The tightness HAS to be because of my shim removal.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:09 PM   #23
tbirdtbird
BANNED

'The tightness HAS to be because of my shim removal.'

I think I agree.
So, you removed one .001 shim from one side of each main, correct?
That is the common way of explaining. we don't halve that just because we only removed from one side. I know what you are trying to say, but we don't word it that way.
So, the engine is still out of the car, and is upside down, correct? Meaning you still have easy access to the caps?
You said the journals checked out and were not oval, good.
Before putting the shims back I would re-plastigage all 3 mains (be sure to torque all the way, not just snug), record the readings, then rotate the crank 90° and re-plastigage and report the readings back. I believe you will find one reading to be too tight.
Very odd that the center main was the tightest, BTW. I am not sure what to make of that. Still have the original 64# FW on there? It is that heavy FW that makes the crank whip and eat up the center main first.
And you are saying there is NO movement fore and aft of the crank? Should be about .003 play.
Is it known how many miles on the babbitt? The thrusts on the rear main babbitt are OK, not cracked?
You are certain the front and center caps were not reversed during assembly?
Old 05-01-2016, 11:33 PM   #24
Henry's Lady's Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
'The tightness HAS to be because of my shim removal.'

I think I agree.
So, you removed one .001 shim from one side of each main, correct?
That is the common way of explaining. we don't halve that just because we only removed from one side. I know what you are trying to say, but we don't word it that way.
So, the engine is still out of the car, and is upside down, correct? Meaning you still have easy access to the caps?
You said the journals checked out and were not oval, good.
Before putting the shims back I would re-plastigage all 3 mains (be sure to torque all the way, not just snug), record the readings, then rotate the crank 90° and re-plastigage and report the readings back. I believe you will find one reading to be too tight.
Very odd that the center main was the tightest, BTW. I am not sure what to make of that. Still have the original 64# FW on there? It is that heavy FW that makes the crank whip and eat up the center main first.
And you are saying there is NO movement fore and aft of the crank? Should be about .003 play.
Is it known how many miles on the babbitt? The thrusts on the rear main babbitt are OK, not cracked?
You are certain the front and center caps were not reversed during assembly?
Lots of great questions. I will gauge the play in crankshaft. I can check plastigage from different rotations. Yes, engine is upside down on stand with just camshaft, valves and crankshaft in. I did NOT remove shim from the center (it was .0015)... just ONE shim (.001) from the front main, and ONE shim (.001) from the rear main. Both of these were originally .002 each. I should have been happy with that.
There are no cracks on the thrusts on any of the mains. (I did find some thrust babbit gone from one of the rods, but they have all been replaced with same-weight rebabbitted rods).
Mileage? I have no idea. I bought the car on ebay (ok, I know...) from a kid who won it in a raffle. he knew NOTHING about the car. The lower end was just fine, much to my delight, but the top end of the engine needed all the work. I had it sleeved, bored to std, hardened exhaust valve seats, deck leveled, new valves, guides, springs, new pistons, (Snyder's premium), cast iron rings. I DID buy a good B cam, and a 6.1 Snyder head, chrome moly head studs w rolled threads. Maybe I'll look into a B carb to compliment the above mods.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:34 PM   #25
Henry's Lady's Man

Oh, I had 10 lbs taken off flywheel, so it is 53#. Had it balanced too, & new ring gear, by John Cosper. Bought a Borg Warner from him to install at a later time.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:39 PM   #26
Chuck Sea/Tac

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Try Prussian blue to see if you have high spots ect
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:41 PM   #27
Henry's Lady's Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
Try Prussian blue to see if you have high spots ect
I've heard of that. Will look it up. Thanx Chuck.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:12 AM   #28
tbirdtbird
BANNED

after you do the testing I suggested, if you do not find any tight readings, and the crank is still tight to turn, then replace the front shim you took out. Assuming all my suggested testing works out with no culprits, then I think you have ended up 'bending the crank over the center main' if you get my drift.....the front and rear of the crank have been leaned on, while the center has stayed put.
You live close to John's shop, and he has a lot of experience with engine building, you could ask him, also. And he could ask his Dad, Pete, who is one of the finest builders there ever was.
Oh,and I see no note of changing out the timing gears, correct? Still the same gears as before?
I knew a guy that had a set of Dan's fine gears that bound up in an odd way. Turns out that a highly rated 'builder' near me had removed these gears (bronze and steel set) improperly from another motor, and sold them to the guy who ended up with the trouble. The local 'builder' had laid an O/A torch on one corner of the steel gear to heat it to expand it for removal. Since he did not heat uniformly, he ovaled out the steel gear by .020 !!!!
It took me a long time to figure out what the dickens was going on. But a close inspection of the steel gear revealed color changes induced by the torch which is what told the story. In short, a nice set of Dan's gears were ruined by a hammerhead.

And you are right, if I had found each journal to be .002, I would have left it alone

Last edited by tbirdtbird; 05-02-2016 at 12:22 AM.
tbirdtbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:47 AM   #29
700rpm

I don't have as much experience as Tbird or Tom, but in my shade tree way, I would loosen or remove the rear main cap, and see if that made it turn easier. If not, then I'd do the same thing at the center, leaving the rear loose. Then the front. Now it should turn. Then I'd go back through it, tightening and testing in sequence. The process of elimination would reveal the problem, I think.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:52 AM   #30
Henry's Lady's Man

Ok. I used plastigage on each main journal, 3 times, at 180 degrees apart. The plastigage looked the same all around. All said, I put the shims back in (which I had taked out). ll is fine. I actually had a 1-3/8" socket (I bought for something else - said I'd never find a use for it again...), used my bar torque wrench and it moves nicely at about 18ftlb torque. Remember, I don't have pistons and rods in yet. It was a lesson to just leave well enough alone. The bearings are now .002 .0015 .002 . That's where it was when I tore it down. Someone must have done a good job on the bottom. Why the top was a mess, I'll never know.
I'm turnin' in. My arms are tired from torquing all evening, and I still have a job in the morning.

Thanks to all for the help and advice. Chuck
Old 05-03-2016, 06:34 AM   #31
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry's Lady's Man View Post
I used plastigage.
That might not be accurate with babbitt bearings. Some times it will inbed in the babbitt. In the first place the center main is the first to get loose.
If it was me I would put the shims back. What you have is to tight.

I hope you did not turn the caps or move them from front to back.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:59 AM   #32
Dodge

Next time you do an adjustment, do one at a time turning it several times after so it's easy to diagnose as you go.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:02 PM   #33
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
Next time you do an adjustment, do one at a time turning it several times after so it's easy to diagnose as you go.
Right. That's what I was trying to say above, but you said it better.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote