Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-26-2016, 05:16 PM   #1
1949f1

Default 1953 Mercury gas tank.

Does anyone know if a 53 ford and Mercury fuel tank is the same? I can't find either from any parts supplier I've tried. The one I have has at least an inch of rust in the bottom.
1949f1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:21 PM   #2
TJ

Default Re: 1953 Mercury gas tank.

Call Tanks Inc. or Dennis carpenter. They should be able to tell you. I believe they are the same as a Ford tank.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:18 PM   #3
1949f1

Thank you will check with them tomorrow. The car is running off the tank that's in it but it seems to be falling apart inside with what looks like a layer of rust in the bottom. If it's not leaking shouldn't it be good enough for the restoration kit macs sells?
Old 01-27-2016, 10:20 AM   #4
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1949f1 View Post
Thank you will check with them tomorrow. The car is running off the tank that's in it but it seems to be falling apart inside with what looks like a layer of rust in the bottom. If it's not leaking shouldn't it be good enough for the restoration kit macs sells?
The crud in the bottom may be sealing up the leaks. Actually the top of the tank may be worse than the bottom. When we removed the tank from my neighbor's 53 ford it looked good except for the inch or so of crud on the bottom. He was going to try to save the tank. When he tapped on the top of the tank with a hammer to knock loose some rust the hammer fell through the top of the tank. Just because it looks good from the outside doesn't mean the metal hasn't been compromised from the inside. Spend the money and put in a new tank. You'll be glad you did. You'll save a lot of grief and money spent on tow bills.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:14 PM   #5
Strick

believe the Ford tank is smaller capacity than the Merc. Not a big deal except the tank straps and/or frame mounting area would need to be modified to fit the smaller tank.
Strick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:46 PM   #6
RalphG

Not sure but it almost seems like I looked up tanks for my 52 Merc last summer and found they were a little different than Fords. But I could be wrong. My tank was way beyond even considering repair. It was rusted through top and bottom after sitting for 30+ years outdoors. I am getting by with a plastic 5 gallon marine type tank strapped down in the trunk for now. It works great.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:28 PM   #7
1949f1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
Not sure but it almost seems like I looked up tanks for my 52 Merc last summer and found they were a little different than Fords. But I could be wrong. My tank was way beyond even considering repair. It was rusted through top and bottom after sitting for 30+ years outdoors. I am getting by with a plastic 5 gallon marine type tank strapped down in the trunk for now. It works great.
I saw a thread on the hamb about adapting a 55 ford in,which I can't seem to find now. I can't find a merc tank of course and according to the Mac's rep I just talked they don't even have the 53 ford tanks anymore.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:51 PM   #8
RalphG

These guys list one to fit 52 to 54 cars.
http://cgfordparts.com/ufolder/fordp...number=BA-9002
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote