Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-14-2015, 07:36 PM   #21
ford38v8

Default Re: 1939 Dash Harness Diagram

Hmmm... Wrong again, am I? Same harness as '38, though, right?
Old 06-14-2015, 08:44 PM   #22
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

No. Harness is much the same as the '39 deluxe except for the clock light and instrument lamp rheostat type dimmer switch wiring.
I have 2 '39 standards - one ex USA ( LHD ) and 1 ex Canada ( RHD for export )
Both have the wiring exit hole on the far LH side.
The first '39 std and deluxe firewalls that were sent out to NZ by Ford of Canada had the wiring exit hole punched out in the wrong place - on the far RH side.
They assumed that because they were to be fitted to RHD cars assembled down here that it was the correct side.
Not so - A hole had to be hurriedly cut out ( roughly I might add ) on the far LH side with an oxy-acetylene torch and a metal tab welded over the original hole.
On all the early '39 ones I have seen, the factory never even bothered to grind off the slag caused by the torch, figuring that the rubber grommet would hide it - which it did.

Last edited by swoopNZ; 06-15-2015 at 03:44 AM.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:03 PM   #23
Kahuna

Alan
As far as I know the harness may be the same in the cowl/dash wiring area. The main lighting harness is different tho, as the 39 was the first year for the hi/lo beam switch on the floor. I think
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:13 PM   #24
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
Alan
As far as I know the harness may be the same in the cowl/dash wiring area. The main lighting harness is different tho, as the 39 was the first year for the hi/lo beam switch on the floor. I think
I was just looking at that today. They still used the lighting switch at the bottom of the column, but in place of the PARK-LOW-HIGH positions, it is PARK-(open)-HEADLIGHT. The HEADLIGHT wire goes to a foot operated dimmer switch. The next year they moved away from the lighting switch at the base of the column to a more conventional switch on the dash.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:13 PM   #25
Kahuna

Correctamundo, J
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:58 AM   #26
36 ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
SwoopNZ is correct
Harness on a Standard car exits thru the left side (driver) firewall, not center.
The car in question is mine...It is a Deluxe and the harness exits on the left (driver's side) but there is also the same sized hole in the center of the firewall
Many thanks for the help from all you fine fellers!

Phil

Last edited by 36 ford; 06-15-2015 at 06:04 AM.
36 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:10 PM   #27
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

Have a look at page 45 in the 39 Owner's glove box manual.
Shows the center hole is for the windscreen vacuum hose and also the temperature gauge wire.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:29 AM   #28
36 ford

Thanks, Swoop....I'll have to look for one of those manuals
Old 06-24-2015, 03:46 PM   #29
36 ford

Chapter 2 on the harness 14401,

We have the harness routed to the inside under the dash and there are 6 wires we don't know where they connect. The harness we removed was a mess of cut and splice wires that we really have nothing to compare with the new harness.
Here are the wires:
A.one long 12-16" yellow wire with round end connector
B. 3 blue/red stripe wires (2 have bare ends, 1 has connector)
C. one black/blue with connector
D. green/white with connector end.

Jerry, your diagram/schematic you drew was a big help and now we hope we can finish the under dash part with some help.

Thanks,

Phil
Old 06-25-2015, 10:08 AM   #30
bbrust

I'm sorry if I/we seem to be repeating ourselves but we're trying to get the dash wired and the harness that was in the dash offers very little in the way of reference due to it being cannibalized over the years by previous owner(s). Another handicap that Phil has is that I'm color blind which doesn't help. We are certainly making progress thanks to you but need a little more help from the Ford Barn experts.
While wiring under the dash, we were able to identify and make the connections to the ballast resister, the starter button, the gauges, cig lighter and clock. However, there were 5 wires that I couldn't confidently say where they went.

The first is a green with white wire that exits the harness with the starter button wire. It has a bullet connector. Could this be for the high beam indicator?
The next wire exits the harness with the gauge wires. It is yellow and more than a foot long and has a bullet connector. A shorter yellow wire exits the harness in the same area and I connected it to the fuel gauge.
Moving to the center of the dash, we have a black with blue wire with a bullet connector. Maybe radio?
Then there are 3 blue/red stripe wires (2 have bare ends, 1 has a bullet connector). Could these be for dash lights?

I'd also like to know if the harness should be routed along the top or bottom of the dash. Thanks, Bob & Phil
bbrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:07 PM   #31
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Green/White is High Beam Indicator on the dash. Black/Blue is the lead to the Pillar Light Switch. Blue/Red is the Clock Light, this wire should also branch to the Instrument Lights but should change to Black, so guessing it connects to Black wires or just stays Blue/Red all the way. Now the Yellow is a mystery, there should only be two Yellow wires, Starter Solenoid to the Fuse and Gas Tank Sender to the Fuel Gauge.

Other Yellow wires that might be confused:
Y/R to Light Control SW
Y/B to Generator Cut-out
Y/B to Ignition SW
Y/G to Cigar Lighter
B/Y to Oil Press Sender
Old 06-25-2015, 03:55 PM   #32
bbrust

Thank you again JSeery. I do remember that the Black/Blue is the lead to the Pillar Light Switch. We'll have to trace the wire from the door pillar to find the connection wire. I don't know if the light worked when Phil bought the car. As for the blue/red instrument light wires, we have missing bulb holders and therefore nothing to connect to but now I know what to look for. Once we finish up under the dash, we'll check to see if the long yellow wire is hot and hopefully figure out where it goes. Your help and diagrams have been very helpful and we appreciate the effort that you've put into helping us. Bob
Old 06-25-2015, 04:28 PM   #33
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Is there a Yellow wire connected to the Starter Solenoid and to the Fuse on the Fuse Panel? Do you have a meter or test light to check it and see if the power is getting to the Fuse? Should be HOT all the time. This same stud on the Fuse should connect to the Cut-Out, Cigar Lighter, Ignition SW, etc. Only the wire to the Light Control SW and Pillar Light SW connects to the other side of the Fuse.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:00 PM   #34
bbrust

Being a 39 Deluxe, Phil's car has the breaker block instead of the fuse block. The harness contained a short yellow wire that I connected to the breaker block and yes it does connect to the Voltage Regulator, Cigar Lighter and Ignition SW. I have a test light and meter and will check everything once I tighten all of the connections. I won't see the car until Saturday and hopefully we'll make some progress.
Thanks again for your continued help. Bob
Old 06-25-2015, 08:24 PM   #35
JSeery
Member Emeritus

You didn't list Starter Solenoid in your list of Yellow wire connections!!? The wiring diagram is for a 39 deluxe, it may have been upgraded to a 40 deluxe CB or there was some change during the model year. Don't make any difference in the wiring, but is a better setup.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:49 AM   #36
bbrust

The yellow wire runs from the solenoid across the firewall, through the grommet and then connects to the breaker block as was shown in your earlier diagram. The yellow black wire from the voltage regulator is connected to the same breaker block terminal. I found a picture of a 39 deluxe dash harness and it contains the dash light sockets and wires. I'll compare that to the harness that we're using for any other discrepancies. Bob