Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-20-2014, 11:51 PM   #1
Dbbc

Default The driving experience

Aloha,
Took my longest drive in my 29 coupe today on a gorgeous day in Honolulu.
The car drove great, however as the car heater up, things seemed to run a little rougher. For example the idling started to run much faster when the car was hot, so in the stop and go traffic I kept adjusting the GAV to lower the idling speed when stopped, by closing it while opening the GAV up when driving seemed to make the car go better.
Also I had a little more gear grinding during shifting when the car is hot, and had to double shift to second and third gear, while when the car is cooler I don't have to double shift to get from first to second.
Anyway being a newcomer to the model A, I was just wondering if that was the way it is, and what other people's experience is driving the model A.
Dbbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:23 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: The driving experience

Do you know what oil was/is used in the transmission? Too thin of oil will effect shifting.

I can't think why the idle would increase as the engine temp rises?
Old 12-21-2014, 12:45 AM   #3
Dbbc

Aloha,
I am using 600W.
Regarding the idling,could it be the throttle sticking when hot?
Definitely run faster when it is hot. I usually have to put in first gear as soon as I stop and hold the clutch down, because if I wait in neutral and then try to get into first gear it is going to grind. Not so when cold.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:10 AM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

if your linkage return spring is in good shape, i have had worn throttle shafts cause a high idle when hot.
replaxce with an oversize shaft
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:32 AM   #5
tbirdtbird
BANNED

The tranny oil is thinner when hot, and will not slow down the gears as well = grinding if no double clutching . Double clutching is the norm for an A, there are no synchronizers.

Your higher idle when hot is because you have a vacuum leak somewhere which is made worse by parts that are heated up, expand, and make the air gap bigger. A leaner motor will run faster. Throttle shaft as mentioned is a good place to look
Old 12-21-2014, 09:46 AM   #6
jhowes

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I don't want to steal this thread but how do you replace/repair a throttle shaft that is bent on the end toward the carburetor. There is no way to remove them.
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:52 AM   #7
tbirdtbird
BANNED

remove the two tiny screws that attach the butterfly to the shaft (best if carb is off car)
Old 12-21-2014, 10:18 AM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Is the throttle shaft bent, or the throttle likage bent? The throttle linkage long arm (by the return spring) is often bent, and can be straightened easily by using a large plier or adjustable wrench. The arm is forged and can be bent cold without breaking.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:24 PM   #9
Purdy Swoft

You may need to oil the accelerator assembly that bolts to the back of the engine. There are oiling holes on top and at both ends of the frame of the accellerator assembly. You can reach around the back of the engine and use an oil squirt can to oil the assembly . If the accellerator assemble or anything else is effecting idle spoeed, it will effect gear shifts. With the crash box unsynchronized transmission used in the model A, gear speed must match wheel speed for a clash free gear shift. Engine speed as in idle speed and how quickly it spools down has a lot to do with how well the gears will shift . Cure the fast idle problem and gear shifts should improve .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:47 PM   #10
Hster

If your idle speed is to high double clutching will not slow the gears for the up shift

Last edited by Hster; 12-21-2014 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Spelling
Hster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:19 PM   #11
Dbbc

Aloha,
Will try all your suggestions. Regarding the transmission does anyone uses some Javier oil than the 600w?
Mahalo
Old 12-21-2014, 08:01 PM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

Some people have used up to 100% STP in the tranny.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:00 PM   #13
Purdy Swoft

I've used straight STP and didn't like it, as a matter of fact, I had a hell of a time trying to get it out . I've also used 140 and 90 weight. For me, its not always about using super thick gear oil to slow down the gears. Sometimes you can slow them down too much and you still get clash. Its more about equalizing gear and wheel speed. Its a feel that must be learned. I can glide through the gears clash free with 90 weigh gear oil just fine . Idle speed also factors in It can idle too fast or too slow and play hell with smooth gear shifts. Practice, gear oil and tuning all play a part. Just my thoughts and what has worked for me .

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 12-22-2014 at 11:21 AM. Reason: removed a word
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:12 PM   #14
ian Simpson

I had the same problem which I think was caused by a VERY worn, probably original Tillotson carb. Replaced it with a new Zenith, problem disappeared. Anyone want the old Tillotson? Pay the freight and it is yours. Send a PM if you want it.

Last edited by ian Simpson; 12-21-2014 at 11:24 PM.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:07 AM   #15
MikeK

Hey Dbbc! If you want talk A I'll be in Honolulu for a month starting mid January. Ever take your A up Round Top/Tantalus? Brakes and downshift skills up to it? Suddenly crave some poke. PM me.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:17 AM   #16
tbirdtbird
BANNED

that massively heavy flywheel likes to keep the engine spooled up, even with double clutching.....double clutch and pause a bit i.e. do not rush thru the shifts
Old 12-22-2014, 10:50 AM   #17
Dbbc

Aloha,
I am getting the double clutch shifting pretty good.
But I am still trying to find out if you have the same experience while driving your car that the shifting even when you double clutch is not as smooth when the car is warm? I am wondering if because the climate and the average temperature in hawaii I should be looking for a thicker transmission fluid than the 600w, or if this is just the way the car drives when hot
Mahalo
Old 12-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #18
Mitch//pa
BANNED

the 600w should be sufficient but as mentioned a higher than normal idle will cause hard shifting... these cars should idle very low
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #19
eagle

Likely the biggest problem with your shifting is the high idle. If your RPMs are not dropping sufficiently you are not going to be able to shift well. Fix that issue first. I use Lucas oil stabilizer in my transmission. Has less fade with heat. There is no reason to double clutch on the way up if everything is in proper condition. Remember: Shift early, pause between gears, and have your idle down slow where it belongs. Even on the way down I almost never double clutch. Not necessary if you use the right timing. Biggest thing is to NOT get in a hurry.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:26 AM   #20
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbbc View Post
I am still trying to find out if you have the same experience while driving your car that the shifting even when you double clutch is not as smooth when the car is warm?
Aloha, Dbbc. Yes, I experience the same thing. My car shifts smoothly when driving but after I drive it awhile I noticed that it doesn't shift as smoothly and occasionally I'll snick a gear going to third. Slowing down the shifting (one thousand one, one thousand two) seems to help.

Also as others said a slow idle helps. I make sure my hand throttle is all the way up after the engine warms up. Sometimes I even move the advance to a more retarded position to slow down the idle while in town and advance it while on a more open road (if I remember ).

I use 600w oil and live in SoCal.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 12-22-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote