Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2013, 06:50 AM   #1
bbrust

Default Need Some Help with 35 Fordor Upholstery

I've been trying to upholster the seats of my 1935 Fordor. The kit came from Cartouche and it seems to be a very nice quality. This is my first attempt at upholstery and that may be my problem. The rear seats and the front seat cushion went together very well. My issue is the front seat backrest. The front seat fits into a metal carriage. (Picture attached). The back and sides of the carriage is covered by upholstery material. (Picture attached). Then the seat cushion is laid inside the carriage. Then the backrest is fitted. My question deals with how the backrest upholstery is attached. Does the upholstery get pulled up and then tacked to the top of the seat carriage or is it folded over the springs and hog ringed? (Pictures attached). The same question applies to the backrest sides. Are they tacked to the carriage or are they hog ringed? Please note that the upholstery has not been pulled tight so there are wrinkles that will go away.

If the upholstery is tacked to the carriage, then it looks like I will need to cut away the excess and then cover the tack strips with the welting that came with the kit. Since the upholstery is hemmed, it seems wrong to cut the excess off.

I've talked to MACs about this and they have tried to be helpful and have sent me pictures but the pictures were of a 29 Ford and it looks like the seats are totally different.

Thanks for any help, Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0688Web.JPG (56.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0685Web.JPG (53.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0681Web.JPG (56.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0683Web.JPG (56.6 KB, 29 views)
bbrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
Terry,OH

Default Re: Need Some Help with 35 Fordor Upholstery

The Coupe and Cabriolet do not use the metal surround, not sure of the Tudor or Fodor.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote