Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-09-2016, 10:22 AM   #21
tubman

Default Re: Cracked block

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1949f1 View Post
I'm definitely not wanting to tear it down to have it pressure tested if it comes to that i guess it'll have to be moth balled.
I have a device that will allow you to pressure test the system while the engine is in the car (with the heads on). PM me if you-re interested.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:55 AM   #22
Bob C

Quote:
im running stock 8CM cast iron heads. Im hoping you are right i just dont see any where else that it cracked. im waiting on napa to get a head gasket, and as soon as I get out of school today will pull a head off a spare block. Any suggestions as to how to keep the spare from rusting? i guess i could drive with only one head
P.S. Im sory about my inexperience with this stuff im 18 and this is also my first car.
You could do that----watch the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkHZyjiT_wk

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:22 AM   #23
Ol' Ron

AS they say, that crack has a part number, I never bother to doanything to fix it. I do however use a steam pipe compound on the threads. You can get a tube of it at a plumbing supply house. Next I only torque to #50 ft/lbs and do this for 3 heat cycles. I've been doing this for the past 30 or 40 years, so it works. Now there maybe a better way, but I don't know it.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:33 AM   #24
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
AS they say, that crack has a part number, I never bother to doanything to fix it. I do however use a steam pipe compound on the threads. You can get a tube of it at a plumbing supply house. Next I only torque to #50 ft/lbs and do this for 3 heat cycles. I've been doing this for the past 30 or 40 years, so it works. Now there maybe a better way, but I don't know it.
Might add a block sealer too!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:44 AM   #25
1949f1

Thank yall for the help! The only thing that is bothering me is the fact that i dont really see where the head gasket blew. Ill let yall know how everything goes.
1949f1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:27 PM   #26
1949f1

What kind of benefits would I get with ford heads? If I'm mistaken won't that increase compression?
Old 09-09-2016, 03:51 PM   #27
VeryTangled

Quote:
The water jackets were full of this fine black powder.
Hi Everyone, 1941f1, I have a car that had REALLY OLD radiator hoses on it. They started to break-down from the inside and shed all this black crap into the system.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198594

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:54 PM   #28
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Maybe someone here lives near you and has the simple Speedway pressure test...no real teardown needed beyond taking off the head and then the pump on that side. Bolt on the 2 plates covering head and pump surface, add air, see if it holds. If so, thoroughly check out head and go get a gasket.
The problem/need for pressure is that the complex porting design can allow a crack deep within, like an exhaust passage, where it is totally beyond vision.
I agree that this is likely gasket problem, but a pressure test on the affected side would be nice.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:06 PM   #29
1949f1

I've replaced the hoses. But could be from sometime before me. The dern gaskets won't be in till Tuesday.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:19 PM   #30
flatford39

Keep in mind that crack may have been there even before you overheated. Pay it know mind and proceed with the new head gasket and oil change.

Welcome to the club.
flatford39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:02 PM   #31
1949f1

I'm about to do a reverse pressure test. I thought of, I'm going to pressurize the radiator with a new head on and reuse the old gasket.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:41 PM   #32
tubman

Quote:
I'm about to do a reverse pressure test. I thought of, I'm going to pressurize the radiator with a new head on and reuse the old gasket.
I really think you should wait until Tuesday when you have new gaskets.

Also, read my reply to your PM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:22 AM   #33
chap52

Wait on the new gasket. Patience is something you will learn along the way. A lot of us have 40+ years playing with these oldies and are still learning the lesson of patience. It's easier to do it right than do it wrong twice..
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:30 AM   #34
rotorwrench

The cracks between cylinders are not uncommon. The siamese exhaust ports run under those so a lot of heat can build up in those areas. As long as the cracks don't extend down through and into the exhaust ports, they won't be a problem. The only way to find out is to pressure test the block. Heads can crack or develop pin holes where the core wire goes through them in certain places. The heads can also be pressure tested. If a person has access to a surface plate or a well made level straight edge, the heads can be checked for warpage easily. Blown or leaky head gaskets are also not uncommon but are not easy to diagnose. On a flathead, it's easier to replace them as a diagnosis test. If it still overheats, then a person has to go through all the tests to find out where the problem is.

The OEM coolant temperature indicating system has two senders but only one actually registers the gauge indication (on the passenger side). The driver side sender is just a temperature sensitive switch that makes the indicator go full swing to "H" when it gets to the set temperature of the bi-metalic switch. This isn't the worlds best system but it seemed to be working OK in this case.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:07 PM   #35
JWL
Member Emeritus

Check to be certain nothing is impeding the flow of water on that bank of cylinders. Also be sure the water pump has not lost the impellor. Remove the thermostat for a maximum water flow experiment.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:38 PM   #36
40 Deluxe

Quote:
What kind of benefits would I get with ford heads? If I'm mistaken won't that increase compression?
Yes, EAB heads or 8BA milled .040" or .050" will raise compression, which is what you want for better performance and mileage.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:13 AM   #37
Vonn Ditch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
Maybe someone here lives near you and has the simple Speedway pressure test...no real teardown needed beyond taking off the head and then the pump on that side. Bolt on the 2 plates covering head and pump surface, add air, see if it holds. If so, thoroughly check out head and go get a gasket.
The problem/need for pressure is that the complex porting design can allow a crack deep within, like an exhaust passage, where it is totally beyond vision.
I agree that this is likely gasket problem, but a pressure test on the affected side would be nice.
Do this.....
Vonn Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:35 AM   #38
Byron Warwick

My leaks started after a short run and the rad solution was foamy and I went through lot of water. My Mechanic, suggested that before I remove the heads, I try a bottle of "IronTite". Well it seems to have worked, as I made a 100 mile trip on Sunday, with no over heating and the fluid level is still an inch above the core. Twenty Dollars well spent, even if it is a temporary fix. Byron.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:16 PM   #39
1949f1

So just wanted to give y'all an update. Put the head on, and drove the car home. In the 10 miles I drove it the heat gauge started going over 3 quarters. Of course I stopped and let it cool off. I'm planning on pulling the motor and tranny out. I'm putting new gaskets in the motor and repainting everything. How complicated is it to pull them both together?