Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-27-2016, 06:59 PM   #1
supercab78

Default When is a fuel tank safely full ?

A new to me 1930-A. I installed the new fuel gauge seals and ready to fill it up. Is there a certain level that I should stop at to allow for expansion and to prevent sloshing out of the vented cap ? For now I stopped when the fuel was at the top the gauge sight glass.
supercab78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:18 PM   #2
Domino

Send a message via AIM to Domino
Default Re: When is a fuel tank safely full ?

I fill mine's until I see gas in the glass about 1/2 way.
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:42 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

I keep mine as full as possible, especially during the long winter hibernation. That is about an inch or less from the top of the fill neck. If I'm only going a short distance and going to park in the hot sun, then I leave more room for expansion, maybe a couple inches from the top of the fill neck.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:56 PM   #4
4port

Once on the way from Dallas to the Kansas City national meet in 100 degree plus July temperatures with the carb vapor locking, I struggled through an intersection to a gas station. I pulled up to the pumps, raised the hood to pour a bottle of water on the carb, and proceeded to fill the tank close to the bottom of the filler neck. As I put the pump nozzle back in the pump, I turned to see the gas bubbling, and overflowing out of the tank. Gas was running down the cowl and firewall onto the ground. Immediately I grabbed a cooler full of ice and water and dumped it on the tank and engine. Scariest thing that ever happened to me at the pumps.
4port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:05 PM   #5
Mitch//pa
BANNED

I never go higher than the 3/4 mark.. don't need any getting on the paint.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:07 PM   #6
BILL WILLIAMSON

With my windshield FULL OPEN, I couldn't gas it up. Sat in the seat & filled it from the inside. Folks thought I was NUTS!!!
Bill Brave
Old 04-28-2016, 09:04 AM   #7
Jordan

If you're going to drive it, fill it up all the way. But be careful if it's warm outside because it will get hot and expand. Two years ago my Model A was at my brother's house and we were going to the Texas Tour. I was leaving later than he was but he went ahead and filled my car up since it was at his house so that when I got out of school, I could just hop in and go. The car sat under his carport in the Texas heat, and the gas boiled out of the cap and ran down the tank and down the cowl. It sat like that for a couple of hours. Guess whose gas tank now has about 3 different shades of paint on it. I'm just thankful it didn't eat all the way through the paint. It might buff out, haven't really tried it yet. I've never had it come out of the cap while driving though.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:55 AM   #8
Big hammer

I get lazy trying to fill to the top when the gas foams up in the strainer! So at about 2 inches down in the neck is wear I stop. My gauge is stuck on E, new repro @&$€=#. Something else in need to do, does the list ever end :-(
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:07 AM   #9
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

If you leave it three inches beneath the top you should not encounter any problems. Wayneu
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:07 AM   #10
Rex_A_Lott

I'd hold off a little until you make sure there is nothing wrong with the new work that you did, around a 1/2 tank, just in case there is a leak.
After you know you have a good seal, just fill it up and drive it. If I'm out driving, I fill it all the way up, it will burn it faster than it can expand.
I've spilled some by running it over, and I get pissed with myself, but 100 years from now, nobody will know the difference. Good Luck.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:54 AM   #11
supercab78

Thanks for the replies and stories everyone. My thoughts seem to be inline with yours. It sat full in the garage all night with a pan under the tank just in case, but with no signs of fuel leaks this morning.
supercab78 is offline   Reply With Quote