Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-30-2017, 07:35 PM   #1

Default '34 cut-out question

The cut-out on my '34 isn't working properly so I have to drive with the cowl lights on so I don't over charge the battery. I set the charging rate as low as possible but it still shows 7 or 8 amps at speed, (with cowl lights on it stays around 4 or 5). I took the cut-out apart and sanded the points with emery paper but it made no difference. So I bought a new cut-out and there is still no difference.
Is it possible there is something wrong with the generator and it's not the fault of the cut-outs? Also, what should the charging rate be while driving at 40 or 50mph, (with no lights on)?
Thanks in advance, Doug.
1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:45 PM   #2
Jim in Wisconsin

Default Re: '34 cut-out question

A cut out doesn't do anything to control the rate of charge. It only opens when the car isn't running to prevent the generator from drawing current and discharging the battery.
A voltage regulator controls the rate of charge, but a 34 doesn't have one.
Sliding the third brush is the only way to control the charge. Maybe you slid the brush the wrong way?
I put a newer type generator with a voltage regulator on my 33.
Jim in Wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Wisconsin View Post
A cut out doesn't do anything to control the rate of charge. It only opens when the car isn't running to prevent the generator from drawing current and discharging the battery.
A voltage regulator controls the rate of charge, but a 34 doesn't have one.
Sliding the third brush is the only way to control the charge. Maybe you slid the brush the wrong way?
I put a newer type generator with a voltage regulator on my 33.
Thanks Jim. I realize the cut-out doesn't control the charge rate but it should "cut-out" when the battery is fully charged. When I said mine wasn't working properly I meant it wasn't working at all. All the time I'm driving it just keeps charging according to the ammeter.
Doug.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:29 PM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Have you considered a electronic cut-out that works more like a voltage regulator?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:39 PM   #5
Brian

The cut out will not cut out when battery is charged! As long as the engine is running, the generator will charge according to how much the third brush is set to. All the cut out does is 'switch off' the connection when engine is stopped, otherwise current will backflow from battery through the generator.
Move the third brush up as far as it'll go and note the charge rate on the ammeter. Moving the brush down increases the charge rate, so like at nighttime, when you're running lights, you can increase the charge so the battery doesn't discharge.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:00 PM   #6
Lawrie

Doug, unless you have a real good ford one,I would use one of the electonic ones from fun projects,best thing you will ever do for the generator.
lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:11 PM   #7
lotsagas4u

I had a friend give me one of those, S10505R, said it was for a model A, 6 volt, positive ground. I wonder if it will work on my 33?
lotsagas4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:24 PM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Fun Projects list a different part number for the V8, might give them a call and see what the difference is.

http://www.funprojects.com/products/10505v.aspx
Old 06-30-2017, 09:36 PM   #9
JM 35 Sedan

I've used a Fun Projects, Inc., 6v, positive ground, voltage regulator on my '35 fordor sedan, in place of the original cut-out, for the last ten years. This regulator works very well. Here's a link to their website.
http://www.funprojects.com/products/10505v.aspx

Edit: Looks like the other guys beat me to the punch on this

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 06-30-2017 at 09:41 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:40 PM   #10
MGG

I also have the Fun Projects voltage regulator on my 34. My 6-volt battery and generator have never been happier.
MGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:50 AM   #11

Thanks for all the responses guys. Wow, was I miss-informed about the function of the cut-out! So, when driving without lights, what should the charge rate show on the ammeter- 4 or 5 amps? I'm a bit paranoid because I "boiled" a battery on the roadster I had a few years ago. I blamed it on the cut-out but now I see it probably had nothing to do with it!
Thanks, Doug.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:31 AM   #12
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1934 View Post
Thanks for all the responses guys. Wow, was I miss-informed about the function of the cut-out! So, when driving without lights, what should the charge rate show on the ammeter- 4 or 5 amps? I'm a bit paranoid because I "boiled" a battery on the roadster I had a few years ago. I blamed it on the cut-out but now I see it probably had nothing to do with it!
Thanks, Doug.
I would still suggest having your generator checked out as well to make sure it is functioning correctly independent of a cutout or voltage regulator. Correct setting of the third brush is important when using a cutout. I believe with the FP's regulator, the instructions suggest setting the third brush for maximum output, and let the regulator control voltage and current flow.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:21 AM   #13

John, you're probably right- I'm thinking the generator is the problem. I have adjusted the third brush many times and it seems to either not charge at all or it goes to 10 amps. doesn't seem to be any 'in between'.
Doug.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:23 PM   #14
Floyd

Have the generator checked out by someone very knowledgeable with this stuff if you are not able to do so yourself. Then, and only then, get one of the Fun Projects voltage regulators and install it. Be happy.
The regulator from Fun is one of the very few "upgrade" items that I believe in for these old Fords. Otherwise I only go with real Henry made stuff.
My opinion
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:37 PM   #15
Jim in Wisconsin

I would sure like to know how the Fun Products unit can have "true field winding control" if it only has connections to the battery and the armature. On the early Ford generators one side of the field is permanetly grounded and the other side receives power from the third brush.
Jim in Wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:45 PM   #16
cas3

john regan owner of fun products is an electrical engineer and a heck of a nice guy too. call him and ask, he'll tell you how if you can speak the language. he's the guy wearing a top hat and talking non stop at chickasha ok swap meet. a model T man mainly, but has other fords too i believe.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 02:11 PM   #17
Kerk

Smile Re: '34 cut-out question

I have had good experience using a Funspot Cutout/Regulator. I had one on my 35 when it caught fire in the engine area. The generator wiring burned up But the generator was fine after removing the Funspot regulator. The generator required rewiring and new Bearings and replacement of the generator brush springs. I put a New Funspot on it and it all works great! decided to remove the cover and see what might have happened to it. It looked fine and probably could have put it back on but to be on the safe side I replaced it. I have had a cut stick on on a 1932 Ford and watched the ampmeter melt out of the gage. I could not disconnect the bettery quick enough. I am very happy with the Funspot. Would and do recommend them. jm2cw Kerk
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:30 PM   #18
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerk View Post
I have had good experience using a Funspot Cutout/Regulator. I had one on my 35 when it caught fire in the engine area. The generator wiring burned up But the generator was fine after removing the Funspot regulator. The generator required rewiring and new Bearings and replacement of the generator brush springs. I put a New Funspot on it and it all works great! decided to remove the cover and see what might have happened to it. It looked fine and probably could have put it back on but to be on the safe side I replaced it. I have had a cut stick on on a 1932 Ford and watched the ampmeter melt out of the gage. I could not disconnect the bettery quick enough. I am very happy with the Funspot. Would and do recommend them. jm2cw Kerk
Funspot???

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:39 PM   #19
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

One of the fastest ways of cooking your generator is sticking points run a fun ,and you could also wire in a diode from Macs /Snyder's that will give you a back up ,Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:47 AM   #20
Kerk

My mistake ! I should have posted the name as a FUN PRODUCTS unit. Sorry Kerk
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:50 AM   #21
koates

Kerk, Its FUN PROJECTS INC. not FUN PRODUCTS. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:47 AM   #22

Update; I had my generator checked out at a shop and it's ok. Then I bought a Fun Projects regulator and am very happy! I cruise along and the ammeter shows 2 or 3 amps. With the lights on it still shows a slight charge. This is a really good up-grade and it looks like an original cut-out!
Thanks for your advice, guys!
Doug.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:06 AM   #23
RobR'35

Also with our generators. They aren't hard to rebuild or diagnoses problems with.
A book suggested to me by John Regan for this was
"The Model A Generator" by. Paul H. Mcree & William H. Mcree. It applies to all 3 brush gens.
It's a great book to have in our car book libraries.
RobR'35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:12 AM   #24
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Great update information.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:23 AM   #25
fourfords

Sometimes the cut out sticks. I tapped it with a screwdriver handle and it unstuck. If it continues to stick, just replace it.
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:19 PM   #26
koates

1934. If you read the FUN PROJECTS instruction sheet that comes with the regulator it states to set the third brush on your generator at a maximum of 20 amps before installing or connecting the regulator. For an original 1934 Ford 3 brush generator a setting of 15 or 16 amps is high enough and was the original specification and 20 amps is too high. A setting of 15 amps will ensure your generator windings do not overheat especially if you are doing a long run at night with headlights on and the generator working at its maximum third brush setting. It will have a long happy operational life at no more than 15 amps. I have a FUN PROJECTS round voltage reg on my stock 34 Ford and it works very well. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:17 AM   #27

Thanks Kevin. Yes, I followed the instructions exactly when I installed it and it's working perfectly!
Doug.