Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-12-2018, 09:56 AM   #21
fordrodsteven

Default Re: Back up lights on 56 Crown Vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodie UK View Post

There doesn't seem to be any power going in or out of the Neutral Safety sw so going to get a new one +new wires and hope that works.
Thanks again
Colin
If there is no power coming out but there is power going in then I would change the switch.
If there is no power, as you say, "in or out" I would look for a problem from the source of power to the switch. You can also do a quick check to see if the wiring from the switch to the lights is functional by jumping power directly to the wire at the switch. Disconnect the wire that goes to the lights and jump to that. I would make a jumper that utilizes an in-line fuse for the test. You could also use that jumper to connect to the power in side of the switch to verify if the switch works and to check the nadjustment of the switch.
fordrodsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:04 PM   #22
dmsfrr

Quote:
...There doesn't seem to be any power going in or out of the Neutral Safety sw ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordrodsteven View Post
... If there is no power, as you say, "in or out" I would look for a problem from the source of power to the switch....
The red/blue wire from the "S" terminal of the Ign key switch should provide power to the neutral safety switch, but only when the ignition switch is held in the Start position.

If the NSS really isn't getting any power the starter solenoid and starter shouldn't function either.

Because the car starts you'd think that's all working fine, except...
if the car can start in gear the NSS is bad, out of adjustment or a previous owner bypassed it with a connection directly from the Ign switch to the starter solenoid. (like a certain red car in my garage)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 03-13-2018 at 07:13 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:03 PM   #23
junkyardjeff

Back up lights were optional.my 55 never came with with them from the factory and are wired to the light switch and only come on when the lights are on. I am thinking about hooking them up to the accessory side of the ignition switch.
junkyardjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:18 AM   #24
rotorwrench

Most vehicles have the reverse lights wired for operation without the light switch involvement. If you think about it, it makes perfect sense. This is how you can tell someone is going to reverse the car if you are approaching it from the rear. Even during the day, this is an important caution for other drivers to note in case the reversing car can not see the other cars approaching it.

Wiring to a load side of a buss circuit breaker will protect the circuit wiring on an automatic transmission application since the car is generally always left in park. Manual transmission cars with overdrive are a different matter though since they should be shifted into reverse when parked on a hill due to the overrunning clutch. In this case, they should be wired to the ignition switch "on" circuit with an in line fuse. Some of the old ignition switches are kind of limited on how many wires can be installed on the accessory terminal but it can generally be made to work.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 03-18-2018 at 09:30 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:47 AM   #25
KULTULZ

Post Re: Back up lights on 56 Crown Vic

As I understand all of this...

The 56 FORD BU Lamp was an option (BIRD $8.50). I a$$-u-me it was factory assembly if a customer new car order or the dealer specified them on a stock order.

Quote:
Back-Up Lights ($8.50)
http://automotivemileposts.com/tbird...equipment.html

There were also kits made available for dealer and/or customer install.

The kits can still be found on EvilBay and this would include everything to upgrade the car to factory assembly.

I have also noticed harnesses and other service parts on the Usual Suspect Online stores.

The 1956 FORD ELECTRICAL MANUAL (available reprint) would give all the details.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956 Ford- TailLamp-BU Lamp Assy.jpg (23.9 KB, 2 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:34 PM   #26
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
The 1956 FORD ELECTRICAL MANUAL (available reprint) would give all the details.
I have these two books (below) and the general backup wiring layout is shown but the dashboard wiring connection details aren't part of the diagrams, if that's a concern.
I also have a '55 Car (and Thunderbird) Shop Manual and backup lights aren't mentioned in it at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 books.jpg (57.0 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg backup light wiring.jpg (50.8 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 03-21-2018 at 03:02 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:57 PM   #27
rotorwrench

It still kills me off how they show a very good illustration of the layout for installation but they don't have a simple wiring diagram. It's pretty much how Ford did things in the early years though.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:03 PM   #28
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post

I was thinking about the electrical assembly manual that was released for 1956.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post

I have these two books (below) and the general backup wiring layout is shown but the dashboard wiring connection details aren't part of the diagrams, if that's a concern.

I also have a '55 Car (and Thunderbird) Shop Manual and backup lights aren't mentioned in it at all.
The needed wiring diagram will be found in the correct year ELECTRICAL MANUAL as shown in the first quote.

The ELECTRICAL MANUAL you have dmsfrr...

Is it FORD and BIRD or just BIRD? Is it Genuine FORD or a copy/reprint?

That CHASSIS PARTS MANUAL is invaluable as it will have all the parts info for the years listed as opposed to the MPC which was edited as PN's were deleted from the system. There should also be available a BODY CATALOG to go along with it.

You show the ILL for the rear harness. Under Basic No. 14405 TEXT it shows the harness containing the BU lamp wires (and turn signal wires) as included in that harness, if factory equipped or not. In that instance, installing the kit should be fairly easy.

Now here is another quandary. One post shows the neutral safety switch (FM) as being replaced by a 57 PN (B7AZ 7A247-A). This switch should allow START in PARK and automatic illumination of the backup lamps.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:08 PM   #29
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post

It still kills me off how they show a very good illustration of the layout for installation but they don't have a simple wiring diagram. It's pretty much how Ford did things in the early years though.
The parts books use ENGINEERING DRAWINGS as does the SHOP MANUAL.

Actual wiring diagrams come in the ELECTRICAL MANUAL.

As it became more complicated, VACUUM and EMISSION MANUALS were released.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 03-21-2018, 08:50 PM   #30
paul2748

My understanding is that the start in Park came with the 58 model year. TBirds I know did not have the start in Park in 1957.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:06 AM   #31
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: Back up lights on 56 Crown Vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post

My understanding is that the start in Park came with the 58 model year. TBirds I know did not have the start in Park in 1957.

THANX for catching this...

There was a thread that showed vendors were selling the 57 FORD switch as a replacement for the BIRD. That can't be as the FORD did not have an AUTO floor shift.

Either I need to find that thread or oldmics is going to pull my coat buttons off and break my sword...

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 03-22-2018, 04:13 AM   #32
KULTULZ

Red face Re: Back up lights on 56 Crown Vic

Here is what tripped me up. The thread is discussing FORD, not BIRD.

One of the maladies of getting old is diminished reading comprehension...

Quote:

Just noticed the back up lights on my 56 Crown Vic are not working...they may not been working when I first bought the car 12 months ago..never looked until now, Doh!

There doesn't seem to be any power at the switch and I can't find any wiring diagram in the handbook or shop manual. Has anybody ever located an appropriate wiring diagram? Can't find any trace of any fuses!!!

Also, I can't find a replacement sw (in case I need on) listed in any of the normal suppliers catalogs. Anybody got any ideas?

Colin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post

The neutral safety switch, b7az-7a247-a, that is for 55-57 cars is also listed as a backup light switch.

Again, thank you for catching this. I just hope it was caught before it caused someone to buy something that won't work...

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 03-24-2018, 02:41 PM   #33
Kahuna

There is a NSS that was used on Ford pickups that allows starting in Neutral & Park.
I have one & if I can find the number I will post it.

Here it is: 1960-1966 Ford Truck
This is a Ford number: C1TF-7A247-A
I think I paid $35.00 for it
Looks exactly like the original.

Jim

Last edited by Kahuna; 03-24-2018 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Added info
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote