Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-25-2018, 08:53 AM   #1
a_crazy

Default soon to be "A" owner.... hopefully.

howdy gents ... and ladies. I have not been on here in a while. but I am excited to be back . I am in the midst of buying a 29 Tudor sedan. I am awaiting underwriters approval, frame photos , VIN and title confirmation and such. I was happily pre approved for much more money than I will need for this purchase ,so hopefully all will go smoothly so I get it home and enjoy my ride. I am anxious and the like... and a little nervous.. I also will be on the look out for local folks to talk with ( I live in Epping,NH ). To clarify I am also willing to ,and hopefully will be able to talk to folks that are non local as well.
a_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:48 AM   #2
jimjordan2

Default Re: soon to be "A" owner.... hopefully.

Hello, and welcome. I am also a new owner of a 29 Tudor. Purchased mine in Oct of last year, but it's still in storage back in Iowa, waiting for spring to transport out here to California. Looking forward to working on it.

When you start out with Mustangs, pickups, then GTO's, and swing 180 deg. and go to a British Sunbeam Alpine, well, how many deg. do you swing to go back to a 29 Tudor? Get mighty strange looks from folks when you talk that way.

Anyway, the more I read about these old dinosaurs, the more fascinating they become. Wow, a car that Joe Average can actually work on, and fix almost anything on. Seems like a concept to me. I remember back in the early 60's Mad Magazine came up with a car that was easy to work on, and everything could be fixed by the owner. Sure enough, turn the page and it was an old Model A. Of course a 16 year olds mind couldn't get around the idea of having something that "Old". I mean, who wanted a 33 year old car that had almost 50,000 miles on it. Just a piece of junque.

Good Luck.
jimjordan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:21 AM   #3
Railcarmover
BANNED

Simple in design perhaps,but skill is required to do it right.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:28 AM   #4
Keith True

One good thing about N.H. is the title is a zero issue.All summer long you can see me driving around Epping in a 30 roadster pickup,a black 30 roadster,or a 31 tudor.There is a real nice 30 coupe for sale here in town right now.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:19 AM   #5
Chuck Dempsey

As 1929 was the largest production year, and the Tudor easily the most popular (that most folk could afford) model, my question is - how many 'Barners' own 1929 Tudors? I see two mentioned above, and I will make it three. Please, if you own one, add yours to the total and post it. Should be interesting....

Thanks!
Chuck Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:21 AM   #6
1crosscut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Dempsey View Post
As 1929 was the largest production year, and the Tudor easily the most popular (that most folk could afford) model, my question is - how many 'Barners' own 1929 Tudors? I see two mentioned above, and I will make it three. Please, if you own one, add yours to the total and post it. Should be interesting....

Thanks!
How about starting a new thread with Tudor ownership numbers?
Old 02-25-2018, 11:26 AM   #7
Chuck Dempsey

Good Idea. Sorry Crazy, I didn't mean to commandeer your post!
Old 02-25-2018, 11:30 AM   #8
oldforder

Hi, I bought my 29 Tudor last fall also. I have been doing a few things to it since I got it, cleaned sludge, added turn signals etc, etc. Wishing for warm weather to get it out and drive it again. It is FAR from a show car, but is a nice driver, which is what I wanted, so as not to worry about fingerprints etc. I have a 65 mustang for shows, and have had other show vehicles, and have gotten over the show circuit.
I am 75 years old, or will be on St. pats day, so hope I can enjoy driving my A a few more years before the long dirt nap. I specifically wanted a 2 door so It was easy to move the seat back. I am not THAT big, but I am not comfortable really close to the steering wheel. Also I grew up with my dads 28 AR Tudor.
oldforder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:52 PM   #9
a_crazy

well the thanks for sharing, I will keep my eyes peeled as they say.. It's good to know there are fellow A folks around this neck of the woods..
feel free to private message me.. to compare notes and service bulletins...
Old 02-25-2018, 04:55 PM   #10
a_crazy

no worries .
I did not notice the common deer....lol
Old 02-25-2018, 05:08 PM   #11
a_crazy

thanks for saying so. I mean no offense to anyone... but my personal opinion is we own them to drive,despite the weather. there is a large parts support. so why not ?you only live once. I personally don't care about matching numbers, Barrett Jackson quality shine or the like. agreed those trailer queens look pretty. but for me,I just want a decent, solid, functional model A to enjoy. and hopefully in a week or two my dream will come true. I just got pre- approved for the money to get a 29 Tudor sedan . just need to get through the rest of the red tape and paper work... underwriters, actual purchase and such .... nothings is done until you finish the paperwork....lol
Old 02-25-2018, 05:15 PM   #12
a_crazy

hopefully I will be comfortable ... room wise in my Tudor. I am about 5'11'' and 240 lbs. I am 45. and in shape.... round is a shape...lol. seriously though I am not too unfit. I work for a trash company and throwing several hundred trash bags a day ain't easy work ..
Old 02-25-2018, 05:18 PM   #13
a_crazy

no worries friend , glad you came to the "A "side.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:25 PM   #14
a_crazy

forgive me but what is a "29 AR Tudor"?
Old 02-25-2018, 06:57 PM   #15
Chuck Dempsey

Per my limited knowledge, 'AR' indicates the initial run of cars, before some obvious issues showed up to be fixed. Hand brake was on the left, and only pulled the brake peddle down (not activate dedicated shoes of its own), several others. But I thought that term only applied to 1928 models - what am I missing here?
Old 02-25-2018, 07:25 PM   #16
JRN1967

Congrats on your new toy. I drive to Hooksett NH for work each day, the scenery in your area is some of the best in New England.
JRN1967 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:31 PM   #17
Charlie Stephens

Buy a reproduction of the Instruction Manual that came with the car when it was new. Most vendors sell them. Try to get one near the manufacturing date of your car. Buy a copy of the Judging Standards from the National Clubs (they got together to write them, https://mafca.com/cart/index.php?productID=115). When you buy a part try to get it to match the build date of your car. The correct (date wise) part will probably cost the same as the incorrect one and over time having the correct parts will add to the value of the car.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:44 AM   #18
a_crazy

thank you JRN1967 for your congrats.but I do not wish to mislead anyone ,I am NOT an A owner yet but hopefully in a week or two I will be. hope to see you down the road.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:48 AM   #19
a_crazy

thanks for the advice Charlie Stephens.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:06 AM   #20
aermotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_crazy View Post
howdy gents ... and ladies. I have not been on here in a while. but I am excited to be back . I am in the midst of buying a 29 Tudor sedan. I am awaiting underwriters approval, frame photos , VIN and title confirmation and such. I was happily pre approved for much more money than I will need for this purchase ,so hopefully all will go smoothly so I get it home and enjoy my ride. I am anxious and the like... and a little nervous.. I also will be on the look out for local folks to talk with ( I live in Epping,NH ). To clarify I am also willing to ,and hopefully will be able to talk to folks that are non local as well.
I trust you have visually seen the car and talked to the owners and are not in the midst of a scam like another recent thread.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote