Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-11-2017, 10:16 AM   #21
Rex_A_Lott

Default Re: 1931 Ford Parts Value? Nice original stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpson View Post
I just picked up a 1931 chassis from a guy who is going to hot rod the coupe body. Looks like it was a long stalled restoration from the 1970's. The engine was rebuilt April 11, 1970 and the Denman's are from 1978. Now if I could find some sheet metal to go with it...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Could be a good start on a huckster. I like a good restored car as good as anybody, but I recognize that a lot of us (and I include myself) just dont have what it takes to restore a car...but we can still enjoy the bits and pieces in a different form.
Nice old banger.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:37 PM   #22
pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Mudguards are only the beginning. A car modified like that must be inspected by an automotive engineer and comply with the same requirements as any other car car built in 2017. That includes collapsible steering column. at least 2 speed fan on the heater/ demister, windscreen washers, seat belts etc etc. A Hot Rod is considered a new car and so must comply with current standards. Any who have such cars on the road without engineering certification are running a HUGE risk. If they are in a collision, the driver is likely to be sued. He wouldn't have a leg to stand on and the penalties could be huge if someone is injured in either car.
I can think of only one similar car I see around here and he went through the certification process. BTW, it has mudguards.
You must have different rules in Vic than we do in NSW.

That car does not need any certification here.

The only mods I see are a bit of engine hotting up.

We are allowed a 20% increase in horsepower as owner certified mods, so who is ever going to prove that engine is above 48 horsepower?

I state these facts as i have 3 engineer certified hotrods currently on NSW rego, so I know the process.

Sometimes it amazes me here, there are many more "hotrods" lurking here than this one which is basically only a stripped A with a warmed engine.

I don't see it with a mitchell overdrive, 16 inch wheels, floaters, etc like all the other hotrods here..

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/...ifications.pdf
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 03:11 PM   #23
phonconn

It is the Hot Rodders who are keeping us supplied with original parts. If this fella was closer to Missouri I would offer to purchase the whole package. I would say that prices all depend on how quickly you want to move them and also how nice they are. Bead breaks kinda ruin the value a lot. If you want to post pictures of what you have then I could give you a really good idea of what the value is as I have bought and sold original parts for year.
On the Hot Rod end. Why do we not involve our youth in our original cars? We were at one time that youth and is why we have interest today in the original Model A. I see both sides of the argument but my heart is in Henry's Lady but understand that we are all free to do with as we please and when you do check with me about disposing of the original parts.
Best of luck with your project!
Dan in Missouri
phonconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 03:14 PM   #24
jimalabam

GSCOV: At the end o WW2, I was 8 years old and in love with CARS. Hotrods, lst car 1939 Coupe with built flattie with 3 0riginal 97's, 3/4 cam.the works, drove this car thru HS. Been participating at Bonneville since the 60s. NOTHING wrong with HotRods. I also have a deuce roadster that gathers the gold anywhere. BUT with flattie with two up top, GLASS body, special frame, brakes, the works. Did not destroy a Ford Roadster to build this show winner. get it out the garage and let's go... NUFF SAID---
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:07 PM   #25
miff

Do you still have any of the parts ? If so what?
miff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:17 AM   #26
ChicagoBob

I like it. It's very difficult to hotrod a car true to a period, and get the stance right. This one is spot-on. This car is as reflective of an American ideal as an original Model A, and it's indicative of the genius of Henry's designs that cars like this were so prevalent and intuitive to build in the early days, and now.

I'd like to know the weight of all the parts removed, and how it performs now.

Last edited by ChicagoBob; 06-15-2017 at 10:09 AM.
ChicagoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:58 AM   #27
GSCOV

Thanks for the comments. Seems like this is a pleaser and brings smiles to Most guys who get grease under their fingers. The gold chain and button down shirt and khaki guys cannot relate. I get it man!
GSCOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:09 PM   #28
BCCHOPIT

At lest he is offing them up for sale!!!!

He could be like me and hide them in my attic

They would fit in real nice with my set for my coupe with ford paint
And my Tudor that was painted in 1955
Old 06-14-2017, 02:13 PM   #29
BCCHOPIT

These fenders would look real nice on that chassis
Old 06-14-2017, 03:18 PM   #30
BILL WILLIAMSON

At least, Henry built LOTS & LOTS of cars for us to use as we desire!
If anyone wants a restored '29 5 Window Coupe, almost ready to drive & HUGE tool & equipment & spares, just bring a Flatbed, $22,000.00 CASH, in a plain BROWN paper bag & it's YOURS!--- The TOOLS/CABINETS/EQUIPMENT/ETC, are worth that!!!
Bill Cashingout (OLD & TIRED!)
Old 06-15-2017, 01:26 AM   #31
Chippy Minton

Quote:
Mudguards are only the beginning. A car modified like that must be inspected by an automotive engineer and comply with the same requirements as any other car car built in 2017. That includes collapsible steering column. at least 2 speed fan on the heater/ demister, windscreen washers, seat belts etc etc. A Hot Rod is considered a new car and so must comply with current standards. Any who have such cars on the road without engineering certification are running a HUGE risk. If they are in a collision, the driver is likely to be sued. He wouldn't have a leg to stand on and the penalties could be huge if someone is injured in either car.
I can think of only one similar car I see around here and he went through the certification process. BTW, it has mudguards.
Why is your way the only way? A Model A is driven around the World and your response is, Huh, I've driven further than that in Oz; you see photos of a well converted, road legal '50s style hotrod and your response is, Huh, it wouldn't be allowed on the road in Oz. Get out more and perhaps you will begin to realise that you aren't the centre of the universe and that just because something is different to the way you do things that does not make it inferior.
Chippy Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:28 AM   #32
ronn

Originally Posted by Synchro909

in America- everyone gets sued, regardless.

a non issue.................. so much fear?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:46 AM   #33
Charlville

Land of the Free, not the Barn it would appear?
Sporadic progress on My 1929 Sport Coupe can be found here along with my blog
http://automotiveamerican.com/
Charlville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:36 AM   #34
zzlegend

Quote:
Whew,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,my hair hurts after reading all this. Here I thought I was saving a really nice 27 body from the rat rodders to cut up only to find out I wont be moving to Australia. Go figure. Guess I will go turn myself in. By the way GSCOV, that roadster looks great. And it can always be put back the way it was, if any body wanted to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trog18.JPG (70.4 KB, 18 views)
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:47 AM   #35
my2nd40

Nice car! I like what you have done to it and appreciate the offer you made for someone here to purchase the take off parts. Period hot rods are my favorite.
my2nd40 is offline   Reply With Quote