Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-01-2018, 08:52 PM   #1
daveymc29

Default "Ace Electrician" not!

I have an alternator on my roadster that has what I had believed to be a static suppressor. That is what some really savvy people suggested it might be, but they weren't sure of that either. During my decent of the 8000 foot Sierra Nevada Range, back to near sea level in Tracy my roadster performed quite well, as it had also on the assault on the upslope of that very same pile of granite. Between Tracy and my home there is a long steady incline to about 1100 feet, + or - a car length. Just the thought of going up again seemed to put the car into rebellion and myself into shock, then panic. I made it to a side road that goes a bit farther, but means much less grade to pull and eventually got home, after a lot of sputtering and backfiring. I also noticed that the ammeter seemed to wiggle it's little arm at me whenever the engine ran amuck. Once home and rested I took the alternator off the car and took the suspicious device off the alternator for the first time since 1993. Looking closely it has the name "TRANSPO D710 6V on it. I suspect it may be something more like a regulator than a static suppressor.
Since the symptom seemed to be a gas problem I have immediately dismissed that thought, and am very suspicious of some electrical fault. Anyone able to disagree or even if you agree, give me your opinion? I have no concept of how to send pictures but said D 710 is a metal box(1 1/8 in. by 1 1/2 in by 1/2 inch deep) with a red wire and black wire coming out of it the red connected to the outgoing wire and the other going to a second post (ground?) on the alternator. The backside is shiny plastic and has a plastic male plug that holds two brass blades that when it is plugged onto the alternator make contact with two brass blades that I suspect mean it is an external regulator, possibly there to convert a 12V Alternator into a 6V. Is that a possibility? Maybe even a rectifier? Tomorrow I will install a spare alternator and test drive, but this has me guessing. I'd like to have it explained to me so I can laud my knowledge over both of my friends.

Last edited by daveymc29; 07-01-2018 at 08:58 PM.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:39 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: "Ace Electrician" not!

Yes it is/was a regulator and Transpo is still in business selling alternator rebuild kits.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:56 AM   #3
Badpuppy

The regulator is inside the alternator, with two blades sticking out of it, accessible through the case. Pin 1 is the excite lead, pin 2 is the battery sense lead. The regulator is set internally for either 6 or 12 volts, a separate internal diode trio assembly determines the output polarity.

Your device is probably a simple transistor circuit that uses distributor point contact closure to switch battery to the excite pin. This allows the alternator to begin charging immediately after the engine is started.

If you suspect it is causing problems, you can just pull it off the alternator with no effect other than you will have to rev the engine up after starting to get it to "self-excite", after which it will operate normally.

I may be wrong, but I believe any alternator may be used "one wire" using this procedure. Kinda hard on a cold engine, though.

Edit: The part I described connects to the coil. Reviewing the OP I have to say I dunno what the heck you've got.

Last edited by Badpuppy; 07-03-2018 at 07:27 AM.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:39 PM   #4
daveymc29

Changed the alternator for my spare and the problem is solved. Thanks for all the keen insight.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:09 PM   #5
Dennis Pereira

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I remember the wind on the old pass rd when I was a kid scary ride .