Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-09-2015, 06:57 PM   #21
Liberty Garage

Default Re: New Doodlebug Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
From the photos, it looks like you have a dual-hi reduction transmission behind the 4 speed. That is the same setup I had in my doodlebug. It makes for a really low low. Mine had the rocker foot pedal cut off, and a lever welded to it.
I've seen pictures of the dual pedal setup you mention, I'm also planning to build some kind of hand lever to shift it with. I've seen pictures of your doodlebug before, that's a pretty nice rig!
Liberty Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:21 AM   #22
Liberty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
I am curious, what did you have to pay for it ? Wayne
Sorry I did not answer this question sooner! I paid $150 for it, the cost to go get it was more than that, LOL!
Old 01-18-2018, 10:20 AM   #23
Liberty Garage

At long last enough other projects are caught up and I am a year or so into semi-retirement, no more excuses, the doodlebug has become the number 1 project.

Started working on the engine a couple weeks ago, first pulling the clutch and discovering that it must have been replaced just before they stopped driving it, the disc still clearly read "flywheel side", the pressure plate was very clean and the flywheel remarkably smooth. I had been thinking a new clutch but am just going to replace the disc and bearings.

Pulled the head and side valve cover and the cylinders were straight and smooth, the pistons are stamped ".020" and are snug in the bores, no ridge at all and the valves all looked really good, some looked fairly new. Rolling the engine over, I did discover a couple sticky valves, especially the number 3 intake valve. On the subject of valves, two of the intake valves are stamped "exh", which makes me wonder how an exhaust valve ended up in an intake hole?

Used a valve spring compressor, took all valves loose so could examine and then lap them in, the valve seats and faces looked excellent, hand lapped them and also took care of the valves that were hanging up with a good cleaning of the stem and working penetrant into the stem and guide.

As I lapped each pair of valves and then reset the spring and retainer, I took the opportunity to check clearances. All valves were between .015 to .019, except the #4 exhaust, which was a bit snug at .007. I could have pulled the valve by knocking out the guide, but then how was I going to cut it and keep it straight? Decided to leave the valve in place, cover the lifter and surrounding area with thick rags, laid a small fine metal file on top of the protected lifter and then used the lapping stick tot rotate the stem end on the file. It took a while but when the clearance was at .011 I decided that was "good enough" and also feeling the end of the stem sill felt nice and smooth. I was afraid to go to far, as not sure how deep the hard surface goes.

Also pulled the pan and other than a coat of congealed oil, everything looks really good and you can see the rods have been off, probably rebabitted at least once (if not twice) as the rods and caps have two sets of rebuilder marks identifying which cylinder they go to.

Camshaft looks good, timing gears look great, no wear, all teeth look perfect. Pulled oil pump apart and am giving it a thorough cleaning and also squirting penetrant down oil passages and using compressed air to push any old oil or goo out. Oil pump appears to be the latest version of the A style and gears and cover in good shape.

Other bits; bought a carb and distributor off ebay, a Tillotson and an old Mallory. Will kit the carb and so far the Mallory looks really good except the rotor which is cracked. We are planning to coat the rotor with liquid rubber just to hopefully hold together for an initial start and maybe later we can find a better rotor on ebay or?

At this point will start putting the motor back together as my brother is coming over from eastern Washington to help set the motor in the tractor next weekend.

Here are some pics;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model A Motor 012.jpg (75.6 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug 003.jpg (68.6 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug 005.jpg (70.6 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Model A Motor 003.jpg (59.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Model A Motor 004.jpg (43.7 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Model A Motor 007-2 rotor closeup.jpg (67.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Model A Motor 011.jpg (66.3 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug 1-9-18 004.jpg (71.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug 1-9-18 001.jpg (76.6 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug 1-9-18 002.jpg (61.9 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug 1-12-18 003.jpg (50.8 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug 1-12-18 004.jpg (79.2 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug 1-12-18 014.jpg (61.3 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug 1-12-18 013.jpg (53.4 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug 1-12-18 016.jpg (61.6 KB, 75 views)
Old 01-18-2018, 10:22 AM   #24
Liberty Garage

a few more pics;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doodlebug 1-12-18 019.jpg (67.2 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug 1-12-18 022.jpg (78.1 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug 1-12-18 023.jpg (77.0 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug 1-15-18 001.jpg (86.8 KB, 64 views)
Old 01-18-2018, 01:06 PM   #25
Bob C

Looks like you need to replace the oil return tube, looks to short.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doodlebug 1-9-18 004.jpg (71.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg oilreturn.jpg (13.5 KB, 7 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:08 PM   #26
Bulligen

It looks like they turned a Ford V8 axle upside down and mounted it direct like a tractor at the front end!
Bulligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:14 PM   #27
Liberty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Looks like you need to replace the oil return tube, looks to short.

Bob
I wondered about that, after your alert, did a quick read-up and have new drain pipe coming, thanks for the nudge!
Old 01-18-2018, 05:20 PM   #28
Liberty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Garage View Post
I wondered about that, after your alert, did a quick read-up and have new drain pipe coming, thanks for the nudge!
Not sure what the axle is off of, it is quite a hodge-podge of parts. =)

Maybe you and some other sharp eyed individuals could take a look at the pic of my steering gear. It is definitely not Model A and is missing the top cover and backlash adjuster, we are going to make a cover with backlash but sure would like to know what this came off of. We are keeping this gear for now, because I like the cross steer setup. That could change of course when we actually try to drive it! =)
Old 01-21-2018, 10:37 AM   #29
Liberty Garage

We've drug the doodlebug into the shop and the lack of front tires and locked up right rear made that a challenge. My little kubota wasn't quite strong enough to lift it from the front, so we drug it out of the carport and then hooked up from the rear so we could lift and push.

Once in the shop and up on jack stands, the first order of business was to make it easier to move, as we will have to reverse it and put it in the shop backwards when we go to pull the old engine and set in the "new" one.

Used lots of penetrant and a bottle jack and hammer to get the RH drum off, it was a battle but after reading some of the other stories here on how difficult they can be, feel lucky it came off at all. The drums do not seem to match the brakes, as it seems like this is a mix of narrow non emergency brake drums onto a emergency brake equipped backing plate set up, in turn this is on a worm drive rear which probably did not have e-brakes to begin with? Thinking the drums may match the axle, but someone used a later set of backing plates? The ebrakes are missing but the large lug for them is still there and would have prevented the drum from going all the way on, I'm not so sure the drum hub was seated on the taper? Considering removing the ebrake lug and assembling without that protrusion, then the drums may fully cover the brake shoes?

Went to remove the left side wheel and was having no luck, but was reading this morning that they used LH threads? Will take a closer look at the threads today and maybe try again.

When the brakes had me stumped, went ahead and got the old rotted cowl off, and just did some general cleanup and tinkering.

As soon as the rear main oil drain tube arrives will get back to assembling the motor. Also had a concern on the oil pump, the housing has a protrusion that has a hole covered internally by the lower bushing, but tested the pump in a can of oil using a drill and it seems to pump fine. Please have a look at the oil pump picks and see if this protrusion with covered hole is any concern? Was not able to find any pics on the interweb that looked exactly like this one. Also pulled one rod cap just to check condition and plastigage, looked beautiful and came in at .002. Have cleaned and thoroughty flushed with penetrant and air pressure all oil passages and when feeding penetrant through main passages get a decent flow. Will oil these up before firing the first time.

Some other "small" jobs to accomplish this week are; cleaning and rubber coating the old Mallory rotor and cleaning and prepping the distributor, soldering up the crusty old radiator I bought off ebay, trying to get the generator freed up, if nothing else to use as an idler for the fan belt, otherwise i'm thinking of maybe using a piece of inner tube as a temporary fan belt for the first fire up. Also found a pair of usable 7.50 16's for the fronts and will get those mounted up.

Still hoping to set the motor in next weekend when my brother is here and trying to fire it, wish us luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doodlebug%201-19-18-12.jpg (95.0 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug%201-19-18-14.jpg (86.4 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug%201-19-18%20017-L.jpg (264.0 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug%201-21-18%20002-L.jpg (241.8 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug%201-21-18%20006-L.jpg (272.2 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug%201-21-18%20013-L.jpg (225.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug%201-21-18%20014-L.jpg (289.9 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug%201-21-18%20008-L.jpg (345.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug%201-21-18%20010-L.jpg (299.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug%201-21-18%20018-L.jpg (293.4 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug%201-21-18%20022-L.jpg (379.2 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug%201-19-18%20012-L.jpg (171.7 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug%201-19-18%20013-L.jpg (209.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug%201-19-18%20011-L.jpg (166.5 KB, 73 views)
Old 01-22-2018, 08:14 AM   #30
OldTee

Crazy stuff!
OldTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:01 AM   #31
Liberty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTee View Post
Crazy stuff!
Hi Chuck (OldTee)! Spent another day in the shop Sunday, made more progress, left rear wheel and drum removed and several small pieces of progress made. Will post more pictures later today.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:32 AM   #32
Bob C

The axle housings and axles are different between the rear ends with the different braking systems. I also think the wheel bearings and hub may be different. Your probably going to need hubs and drums for the separate system.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:23 PM   #33
Johnnydidd

i have a 1928 Model AA Doodle Bug real nice condition its made out of 1928 AA has 4 speed transmission with place for PTO. It had speed reducer that was made for using a model A three speed car transmission that they used on the first 1927 AA Truck i did remove the reducer because it didn't fit the 4 speed. The pictures also show how i modified the drive shaft.

http://greenstore.org/Doodlebug.html
Johnnydidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:53 PM   #34
Liberty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
The axle housings and axles are different between the rear ends with the different braking systems. I also think the wheel bearings and hub may be different. Your probably going to need hubs and drums for the separate system.

Bob
The more I look at it, the more I agree. Even with the ebrake panel removed, it looks like the taper will hold the hub and rum outboard from where it needs to go.Hopefully someone will need my narrow drums for an early non emergency brake setup? Will start looking on The Swap Meet, CL, Ebay etcetera for the ebrake style hubs and drums. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2018, 11:56 PM   #35
Liberty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnydidd View Post
i have a 1928 Model AA Doodle Bug real nice condition its made out of 1928 AA has 4 speed transmission with place for PTO. It had speed reducer that was made for using a model A three speed car transmission that they used on the first 1927 AA Truck i did remove the reducer because it didn't fit the 4 speed. The pictures also show how i modified the drive shaft.

http://greenstore.org/Doodlebug.html
That's a very nice doodlebug you've built, we've got a long long ways to go before we can hope to look that good! We have the same hi-low/dual driver/reducer on ours, it looks like it was reasonably well set up, but there are some various broken or worn pieces that will need addressed, its gonna be a challenge for sure.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:11 AM   #36
Liberty Garage

Got the head cleaned and on today, was going at it slow and steady, almost finished when the water outlet cracked. It was an old one off the original tractor motor, had been broken or welded before and was hoping to get lucky but no go, have a new one on the way.

Also soldered on my very crusty cheap ebay radiator and while having some success with getting the upper bracket back in place, after cutting away some fins and soldering a couple of split tubes, filled it with water and found several more split. This radiator is junk (previous owner tried to make multiple repairs with epoxy/jb weld), just hoping to get through the initial start up with it and then will have to get another one or have it re-cored.

Still attempting to identify the steering box, cleaned on it some more today and realized the case is made of bronze or something similar, there is a casting number 16801, and also some kind of other identifying marks like 10 or @1 and a small arrow and then the same mark repeated, we also made a cover for it today, it's still pretty rough but coming along and should work ok when completed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doodlebug%201-22-18%20034-L.jpg (229.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug%201-22-18%20042-L.jpg (189.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug%201-22-18%20040-L.jpg (192.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug%201-22-18%20012-L.jpg (338.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug%201-22-18%20022-L.jpg (230.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug%201-22-18%20019-L.jpg (259.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug%201-22-18-2%20009-L.jpg (207.7 KB, 37 views)
Old 01-23-2018, 11:27 AM   #37
Johnnydidd

Why don't you adapt a garden hose on it instead of using a radiator, unhook the water pump,
Johnnydidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:14 PM   #38
Liberty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnydidd View Post
Why don't you adapt a garden hose on it instead of using a radiator, unhook the water pump,
Great idea, that has officially moved up to "Plan B"

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2018, 06:46 PM   #39
30aadoodlebug

Hey Liberty,

Feel free to take a look at my doodle bug. I have a folder under my profile. If you have any questions about stuff, feel free to PM me.

Have fun with it,

Jon
30aadoodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:33 PM   #40
Liberty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30aadoodlebug View Post
Hey Liberty,

Feel free to take a look at my doodle bug. I have a folder under my profile. If you have any questions about stuff, feel free to PM me.

Have fun with it,

Jon
Love the plow conversion! The combination of green, off white and reddish brown seat look good together, very nice!