Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-05-2015, 06:59 PM   #1
31pickup650

Default Frame Number For Registration

The VIN that is on the title for my pickup appears to be from the frame since it doesn't match what is stamped on the engine and the engine hasn't been changed from when it was originally registered by my grandpa in the 1950s. From reading around, it looks like I would have to remove the cab to gain access to view the stamping on the frame. When I went in today to transfer the title, the clerk said that I need a VIN inspection to prove the truck and title match. Has anyone dealt with this? I am not sure what the best thing to do here is since I don't want to have to remove the entire cab while I am at the title bureau to show the stamping... Thanks.

1931 Model A Pickup
My Model A : https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173024
31pickup650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #2
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Default Re: Frame Number For Registration

Here in Iowa, they need to see the number that is stamped on the frame on the left rail just behind the body bolt holes bracket.

When I had them look at my first Model A that had no title, they weren't interested in the engine number. I think they realize that engines were commonly changed over the years.

Maybe you could jack the body up enough where the Inspector could verify the Number. At least you have a title that matches the number on the frame, but they still have to verify.

Larry
Larry Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:29 PM   #3
31pickup650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jenkins View Post
Here in Iowa, they need to see the number that is stamped on the frame on the left rail just behind the body bolt holes bracket.

When I had them look at my first Model A that had no title, they weren't interested in the engine number. I think they realize that engines were commonly changed over the years.

Maybe you could jack the body up enough where the Inspector could verify the Number. At least you have a title that matches the number on the frame, but they still have to verify.

Larry
Larry, thanks for the reply. I looked up the number stamped on the engine and it starts with an "RF" which it appears to mean it is a replacement motor from the Richmond plant. Is it easy enough to pull up the cab just enough to see the number without having to disassemble a ton of stuff? Like loosen up some of the bolts that attach the body to the frame and jack it up or pull it up?

Thanks.

1931 Model A Pickup
Old 10-05-2015, 07:29 PM   #4
Charlie Stephens

Ask if they can send someone out to your house while the body is raised. If that doesn't work ask which police agencies are authorized to do an inspection and contact them. Next look into automobile title companies that do this type of work. All states are different.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:32 PM   #5
31pickup650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Ask if they can send someone out to your house while the body is raised. If that doesn't work ask which police agencies are authorized to do an inspection and contact them. All states are different.

Charlie Stephens
I asked if someone can come to my house to do it and the answer was no. I can take it to most car dealerships or the title bureau/DMV.

1931 Model A Pickup
Old 10-05-2015, 07:41 PM   #6
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31pickup650 View Post
I asked if someone can come to my house to do it and the answer was no. I can take it to most car dealerships or the title bureau/DMV.
Charlie has a great idea. Ask about the Police Inspection.

Larry
Old 10-05-2015, 07:32 PM   #7
mshmodela

PM sent....

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:07 PM   #8
Fred K-OR

Do you have another DMV office close by where you live? I know here in Oregon it depends on which office you go to because all of them do not do things the same. Going to another office may get the job done.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:24 PM   #9
31pickup650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
Do you have another DMV office close by where you live? I know here in Oregon it depends on which office you go to because all of them do not do things the same. Going to another office may get the job done.

That's a good idea. I might give that a shot. If that doesn't work and showing the registrations from all the previous years doesn't work either, I might just leave it registered in California.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1931 Model A Pickup
Old 10-05-2015, 09:59 PM   #10
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31pickup650 View Post
That's a good idea. I might give that a shot. If that doesn't work and showing the registrations from all the previous years doesn't work either, I might just leave it registered in California.

Check to see if your State has resiprocity..

Larry
Old 10-05-2015, 10:55 PM   #11
Ed Wendell

Noah,
In California they have a form that can be filled out by a peace officer. I had a CHP officer come by and look at the number and sign off on the form. I would check with your DMV and see if they have a similar form. Also, the suggestion that you try a different DMV office is a good one. I got two different stories when I went register my YOM plates.
Ed
Ed Wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:32 AM   #12
Synchro909

We don't have titles for cars so this might be way off but why don't you stamp the number they want to see on the chassis somewhere where they can see it?
Old 10-06-2015, 03:42 AM   #13
pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
We don't have titles for cars so this might be way off but why don't you stamp the number they want to see on the chassis somewhere where they can see it?
Yeh, here in Oz, it is not as strict, all the pencil pushers want to see is any number.

I guessed my last 2 chassis numbers and the funny thing is, I have never bothered to even stamp them anywhere....I just told them what number was under body ......sssh don't tell anyone.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:58 AM   #14
31pickup650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wendell View Post
Noah,
In California they have a form that can be filled out by a peace officer. I had a CHP officer come by and look at the number and sign off on the form. I would check with your DMV and see if they have a similar form. Also, the suggestion that you try a different DMV office is a good one. I got two different stories when I went register my YOM plates.
Ed

Ed, this is how the VIN was verified when my grandpa registered it after it sat for a while. This is the same engine that has been in it since he got it in the 1950s, so I am not sure what exactly they checked, and neither is he. Maybe they just saw he had all the old registrations?

1931 Model A Pickup
Old 10-06-2015, 03:41 AM   #15
ronn

Leave it registered in Cali- Ohio is a nightmare with the whole process.
The only state more difficult then OH is Ne
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:59 AM   #16
31pickup650

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Leave it registered in Cali- Ohio is a nightmare with the whole process.
The only state more difficult then OH is Ne

This option is seemingly more and more likely. I might just register it out there next time I'm back home.

1931 Model A Pickup
Old 10-06-2015, 09:29 AM   #17
katy

FWIW, The chassis number on our '31 CCPU is under the front fender, right beside the steering box. There is now a chunk of fender missing so the number can be seen at any time.
I had a problem w/US customs when I was exporting the truck to Canada. They insisted to see the number. Went back to the seller's residence and located the number, cut the piece of fender out, went back to customs and they had changed shift. The officer looked at all the paperwork and said "go". I said " don't you want to look at and verify the number"? He said "No. I'll take your word for it".
Old 10-06-2015, 12:58 PM   #18
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
FWIW, The chassis number on our '31 CCPU is under the front fender, right beside the steering box. There is now a chunk of fender missing so the number can be seen at any time.
I had a problem w/US customs when I was exporting the truck to Canada. They insisted to see the number. Went back to the seller's residence and located the number, cut the piece of fender out, went back to customs and they had changed shift. The officer looked at all the paperwork and said "go". I said " don't you want to look at and verify the number"? He said "No. I'll take your word for it".
Somebody probably restamped a number there because it should be farther
back, see the picture that Mike V posted.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engineno.jpg (83.6 KB, 175 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:09 PM   #19
Fred K-OR

I had a tag made up that says "vin number" on it and I fixed it to the fire wall under the hood. I did this because I changed the engine in the coupe and that engine number was the vin number on the title. I am hoping that the next time I change the title, if I do, that tag will work. May have to go to a couple different DMV offices.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:44 PM   #20
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
I had a tag made up that says "vin number" on it and I fixed it to the fire wall under the hood. I did this because I changed the engine in the coupe and that engine number was the vin number on the title. I am hoping that the next time I change the title, if I do, that tag will work. May have to go to a couple different DMV offices.
I hate to make after the fact suggestions but you would probably been better off having the DMV attach one of their tags to the door jam while the original engine was still in the car. This is what they do in California and I assume Oregon is the same.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote