Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-23-2020, 09:39 AM   #1
txmike

Default Tires

I have a friend who says he replaces the tires on his RV everywhere 3-4 years regardless of where. Partially due to not moving a lot but also probably UV related.

My question to all of you (who have been a great help so far) is what about Model a tires? Tread is good but they are probably about 20+ years old. About to put her on the road and was curious.

If I do replace do I go with radials or not? How do they affect judging standards?
txmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:03 AM   #2
mike657894

Default Re: Tires

Many factors. If you can afford it do it on the best new rubber. I've lived on both ends of the spectrum. The one end will have you doing tire work on the side of the road. The other may save you from that if there are no road hazards to cause a problem. Good branded tires often out last cheap ones. But out of four tires you could ride them to the end of the earth in bad conditions and 2 out of four would make it there. The other two would fall to tread separations or other problems at some time. Again if you can afford it and keep your rubber new like your friend does you will most likely never see a wear or longevity related problem. On motorcycles I have noticed how much the rubber can harden and cause sliding or reduced grip. It happens in around 4 years.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:33 PM   #3
David R.

RVs carry a lot more weight at greater speeds than most model As. Just one thing to consider.
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:31 PM   #4
txmike

Good comments. The RV tires disintegrated while going down the road. Mine are Goodyear and I may replace just to be safe

any comments on radial verses non radial

and does the radial affect judging?
txmike is offline   Reply With Quote