Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-20-2018, 10:31 AM   #41
scicala

Default Re: Cam Timing question for the experts on Isky 1007B

This is just a wild thought, but is it possible some new Isky cams are out-sourced to China for at least the machining of the blanks ? I would shudder to think that has happened, but would explain the quality issue.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 10:31 PM   #42
Russco

I just stumbled back upon this thread and saw the later replies to this. I’m especially interested in Ed saying they didn’t sell that anymore? The cam I got from a member here that was ground by Pete worked great! Pulled very strong In the 286” 8BA that I built. It pulled hard, had very good street manners and sounded great. I have since sold the car and it’s now in Japan. Some of you may have seen it though, it was in the Rodders Journal Calendar a few years back. But back to the post by Pete where Ed said they hadn’t offered that cam in years? I’m not sure what to think of that. I bought the cam new through Red’s and had to pay up front because it was a custom grind. But more disappointing than the 315.00 I was out on the cam, was the pissy attitude I got when I called Isky about the problem. I don’t remember who I spoke with, I know it wasn’t Ed, but I’m fairly certain he said he was related to Ed somehow. I’m not bashing Ed at all, I suspect he didn’t know anything about how any of this went down. I’ve met him a couple times and he seems like a great guy. All I know is when I called to try to straighten it out they told me “It was a custom grind and they didn’t have anymore blanks to do it again” And I was “Shit out of luck” . I still do have the cam, still new in the box with Rev Lube still smeared all over it. I still recommend Pete’s grinds to anyone I can. I would love to hear what they have to say about the cam I have that they don’t sell though. But I’m done doing business with them regardless. I’m not a professional engine builder so it’s not gonna hurt them I’m sure, but I just wanted to address the issue about them not selling that grind.

Last edited by Russco; 03-14-2020 at 08:26 AM.
Russco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 11:38 AM   #43
Fordestes

Was this problem ever rectified by isky? I still have a 1007 and a 1007B never tried to use it after I read this, It is a Re-grind from Isky, I remember talking to Ron Iskenderian when I had it done ,he told me that grind was not offered in new at the time and had not been ordered in many years, this was about 30 + years ago. I wonder if defective can it be re-ground to something different and put into use?
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 01:41 PM   #44
Russco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordestes View Post
Was this problem ever rectified by isky? I still have a 1007 and a 1007B never tried to use it after I read this, It is a Re-grind from Isky, I remember talking to Ron Iskenderian when I had it done ,he told me that grind was not offered in new at the time and had not been ordered in many years, this was about 30 + years ago. I wonder if defective can it be re-ground to something different and put into use?
No, I ended up being stuck with the cam and out the 315.00 I paid for a custom grind on a new blank. At the time, they told me they were out of new 8BA blanks and couldn’t grind me another even if they wanted to. To quote the guy I spoke (who I’m pretty sure wasn’t Ron) with I was “Shit out of luck” on getting a replacement. Luckily a member here (Seems like his name was Don? From the San Francisco area if I recall) Messaged me that he had one that he got from Pete several years ago that had never been used, and I gladly bought it off him and installed it. I’m over the whole deal, I’ve wasted more money than that before and I’m sure I will again. I’ve still got the cam. Still new in the box, sitting on my shelf gathering dust. Maybe I’ll use it in a stocker build or something. I’m sure it’s a usable cam just not what I paid for. I just wanted to reply to the fact that they said they didn’t sell that grind anymore. I guess in a way they don’t, cause the cam I got wasn’t the 1007B grind it was supposed to be, so I guess they really don’t.

EDIT: After going through my old P.M's I found the Ford Barn member that did me a huge favor and sold me the real 1007B cam ground by Delta was in fact OLD...BILL not Don as I had posted previously, but I did remember the correct location he lived, Northern Ca. forgive my memory its been 8 years.

Last edited by Russco; 03-14-2020 at 03:13 PM.
Russco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 01:59 PM   #45
woodiejon

Hi. I have a 1947 ford stock cam ground to l100b by delta cams in Washington state. using a holly 390 4 barrel carb.milled heads .050. this thing runs great.
woodiejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 02:31 PM   #46
40cpe

How is the l100B different from a l100?
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 02:51 PM   #47
Fordors

On the L100B the B is for blower grind, valve timing is different for less overlap.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:55 PM   #48
Pete

Cam bootlegging is as old as booze bootlegging. Everyone copies everyone else's grinds.
I know of some that are selling 4th generation regrinds.

It is plain and simple, someone sold you a bootleg cam.
It is easy to counterfeit shipping boxes, tags and spec. sheets.
You should complain to the guy you bought it from, not Isky.

I have known Isky since the early 50's and he has always been plagued with bootleggers.
As long as there was no stamped name or mention of his name in the advertising or tags, he seldom did anything but the ones that advertised it was an Iskenderian cam, he went after legally.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:17 PM   #49
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodiejon View Post
Hi. I have a 1947 ford stock cam ground to l100b by delta cams in Washington state. using a holly 390 4 barrel carb.milled heads .050. this thing runs great.
Can I clarify what cam this is? Is the L100B or a 1007B. The letter in front of the 100 is throwing me off.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:20 PM   #50
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Cam bootlegging is as old as booze bootlegging. Everyone copies everyone else's grinds.
I know of some that are selling 4th generation regrinds.

It is plain and simple, someone sold you a bootleg cam.
It is easy to counterfeit shipping boxes, tags and spec. sheets.
You should complain to the guy you bought it from, not Isky.

I have known Isky since the early 50's and he has always been plagued with bootleggers.
As long as there was no stamped name or mention of his name in the advertising or tags, he seldom did anything but the ones that advertised it was an Iskenderian cam, he went after legally.
Pete,

The box from that Isky cam came out of looked pretty legit. Not sure how involved Ed is with the daily doings of the business, but there are a fair number of threads found on here, HAMB, etc. that complain about the accuracy of a new, out-of-the-box Isky cam bought from a reputable supplier or Isky themselves.

I'd be interested to get to bottom if all the cams with "problems" were indeed bootlegs.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:26 AM   #51
Fordors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Can I clarify what cam this is? Is the L100B or a 1007B. The letter in front of the 100 is throwing me off.
The first character is a lower case “L” and the part number should read L100B for the often copied Litterio L100, in this case the blower grind with the B suffix.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:31 AM   #52
RalphM

I have reground 8 BA CAM , to 1007B from D&L in my 52 Merc 265 ci and I love it!
I’m no engine builder, so I just install and go. Guess I should learn to degree a cam someday

PS: I think I’m going to try the L100 in my next build. I really like the sound!
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 03:22 PM   #53
Ronnieroadster

A timing card is included for a reason with all after market cams. The reason this information is supplied is due to the fact theres no way the cam profile will be spot on when the grinding takes place. We all know out of the box any cam grind can be run without checking the timing they will work however if the time is taken to actually check the timing and set it per the timing card the difference can be substantial. A typical NEW Isky flathead cam will be off by as much as 6 to 9 degrees this i have found is common and the reason the timing card is included in the box. Most guys will never find this because they just bolt the cam gear on and install it in the engine.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 06:23 PM   #54
tubman

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I wouldn't accept this kind off sloppiness in manufacture from any vendor. They have to do better than this.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote