Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
Johnnyj

Default Flathead water leak

I am new at this. Recently purchased a 47 1/2 ton p/u. I was told the bottom of engine was overhauld some time ago but never run since then. Radiator was not installed. I just installed radiator and hose, filled with water/ antifreeze and found a small drip that looks like its coming out the exhaust manifold bottom bolt just above the starter. Any idea where to start looking?
Johnnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
Mart

Default Re: Flathead water leak

Can you see the head gasket face in the area above where you can see the drip? There should not be any water in the area you describe, unless it is coming from above.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
TomT/Williamsburg

If you have re-torqued the heads to the proper 60-65 ft lbs, I would pop that one bolt/stud, put on some thread sealer and re-install. That one bolt probably goes in to a water jacket and has not sealed up enough to stop water from seeping through and out.

Once you've had the engine running and got it nice and warm, I would re-torque the heads again when you've cooled down. If the leak persists I know some of the old timers have used Barrs radiator stop leak to stop this type of leak.
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
OLD...BILL

Hey Mart & Tom T. Go back and read and reread his original post. He has scoped it out pretty good. ( the header bolt, area.) AND just inside that area is the water jacket its self....someone with 18" breaker bar may have put a "TO LONG" bolt in the header bolt hole, cracked the block, just a little, Johnny it's not the end of the world....
Now to the fix. Pull the complete header off. I'll bet you will fine the lower center bolt "wet" ...we-er going to use some Bars Leak, dig some of the thick heave stuff out of the bottom of the can and some of the pellets as well, as much as you can get to stay on the end of the bolt, FORCE it up in the bolt hole, the idea is the fill the crack ?? with that stuff... before you start, check the hole, is it wet? is the bolt to long? you may want to drain the water off. and bars leak works best when engine / water is up to operation temp. maybe load the bolt twice ?? and then I would find a stud to use for the final re-assemble, and some good lock tight, on the stud. ..now put it all back together, and run it. and check for leaks .... also I thing the re-torque number is a bit high..... OLD....BILL
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:17 AM   #5
JWL
Member Emeritus

Is the engine a V8 or a 6 cyl??
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
Johnnyj

The engine is a v8. I'll get some bars leak and possibly shorter bolts and try that. Sounds like it should work pretty good. I used it years ago on radiator leaks an it worked good then. Still have more to do before I can try to run the engine( has not run in many years).
Fuel line was cut so need to get new fitting. When lower engine overhauled they put mystery oil in because previous owner said it would sit for a long time. I did remove plugs and put some mystery oil in. Thanks for the info. Hopefully when I get ready and hit the starter the engine will crank.
Johnnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
donald1950

use some good high temp thread sealer on that one header bolt, if i it is not leaking from head gasket. some times it is hard to rellly tell....
donald1950 is offline   Reply With Quote