Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-14-2017, 11:06 PM   #1
prsvf1

Default 1940 Ford Column Shift Transmission

I have rebuilt column shift transmission that I put in my 1940 Ford Tudor. I pulled the rear axle to remove the trans - major pia. Anyway, in my haste of putting the rebuilt trans back in the car, I knocked the 2nd & 3rd lever in to gear turned the ujoint to line up the input shaft so that it would slip in to the clutch. Bolted up the trans to the bellhousing adapper, trans mounts, etc. Next step was to put the rear axle in & I couldn't spin the u joint to align it w/the rear axle splines. Well the u joint wouldn't turn, checked the levers & couldn't move them. I removed the side cover & I could manually slide the 1st gear back to neutral,but I can't slide the 2nd/3rd to neutral. I've removed the trans from the car to examine & sure the top & bottom gears are meshed & can only turn the input shaft just a little bit each way. Iam at a crossroads as I do not know how to fix this issue & how to be sure it will work properly when it is back in the car. Again as many of you know this is a major pia to change.
prsvf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:25 AM   #2
Juergen

Default Re: 1940 Ford Column Shift Transmission

A lot of times with a rebuild, the synchro brass gets stuck to the input or output shaft. Use a screw driver to make sure you can get it free. If it is stuck, this "blocker" is doing its job too well. Add a little oil to help keep it from sticking.
Juergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:37 AM   #3
chap52

Good advice from Juergen. Note the position of the shift levers when in neutral. Before you slip the yoke onto the trans output shaft make sure it's in neutral. I would make the connecting of the shift lever rods the last step of the assembly. It may be that they were in need of adjustment after the rebuild. After getting it set give the driveshaft a little turn to make sure it's OK to proceed.
Knowing that the trans is in neutral be sure that your column shift lever is in neutral (middle of the "H") and adjust the shift lever rods so that they slip easily into there positions on the trans shift levers. Should be fine then.
Just don't get frustrated. We have all "re-done" a few fixes more times that we want to admit. It's a learning process that we may get figured out someday... That day better hurry for me I am 71 and still learning.
Enjoy the adventure.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:31 AM   #4
blucar

In the text of your original thread, you stated that you accidentally pushed the second gear lever when you were installing the trans. The following info might be of value.
When I was a teenage we would play games with people cars, we would open the hood, grab hold of the shift levers on the column, pushing them down which would lock the trans, when the driver tried to move the car it could not be shifted with the lever, the levers had to be moved to the correct position from the engine compartment.
It could be that the removal of the side plate messed things up within the trans.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:42 PM   #5
rotorwrench

I think in 1940, they started using another version of the late type synchonizer that had ball bearings and springs as detents between the synchro shift sleeve and the synchro hub. Sometimes these things can cause a lock up if the parts get out of place. Some of the new repro brass blockers have incorrect machining on the cone faces and the slots that can cause problems. Mac VanPelt's book has a good description of how to check these parts for proper dimensions. If the synchro sleeve won't move, it will likely have to come apart to check this stuff out.

One of the bosses I had years ago, had a Nash Metropolitan. He had to carry an old baseball bat as a special tool with him to correct the linkage when it would get stuck in gear.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:52 PM   #6
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by juergen View Post
a lot of times with a rebuild, the synchro brass gets stuck to the input or output shaft. Use a screw driver to make sure you can get it free. If it is stuck, this "blocker" is doing its job too well. Add a little oil to help keep it from sticking.
x2!

Last edited by Andy; 06-15-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:06 PM   #7
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
In the text of your original thread, you stated that you accidentally pushed the second gear lever when you were installing the trans. The following info might be of value.
When I was a teenage we would play games with people cars, we would open the hood, grab hold of the shift levers on the column, pushing them down which would lock the trans, when the driver tried to move the car it could not be shifted with the lever, the levers had to be moved to the correct position from the engine compartment.
It could be that the removal of the side plate messed things up within the trans.
Column shift cars can lock up like you say if the linkages are worn. I remember back in the late 70's we had column shifted HQ Holdens ( Aussie GM) as Police cars. If you shifted too quick sometimes this very thing would happen and there was no way you could move the stick. The only remedy was to get under the hood and do in reverse what you did for fun as a teenager.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:58 PM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

They sold a lot of floor shift conversions in the 50s and 60s! Partly because it was considered cool and partly to repair/replace sloppy worn out stock column shift linkage. That was always one of the first mods I made.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:16 PM   #9
Andy

The trans is out of the car and still locked up. The side cover is off. It has nothing to do with shift linkage.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:26 AM   #10
Andy

On thinking about it, I would pull the input shaft. It is just 4 bolts and the gear and bearing will come out the front. I don't know if the synchro would come out the front as well. Nothing to lose trying it.
At least it is not an old Chevy with ten thousand loose bearings and washers.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:24 PM   #11
Mac VP

The input shaft with its ball bearing will not come out the front without dropping down the cluster gear.....normal Ford disassembly procedure.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote