Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-23-2017, 05:43 AM   #1
aermotor

Default Brake rods

I have what appears to be 2 new rear brake rods that have no nubs for the return springs. One had a clamp and return spring made for the clamp - the other didn't. Where can these springs and clamps be obtained?

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:45 PM   #2
aermotor

Default Re: Brake rods

Bump
Old 10-23-2017, 07:52 PM   #3
J Franklin

I can't picture the setup you have, maybe just find some like the original.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:51 PM   #4
Bill G

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
Bump
I see this a lot. What does "Bump" do, other than bubble the discussion back to the top of the unread stack?
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:51 PM   #5
Marshall V. Daut

I seem to recall that in the 1970's, a certain now-defunct Model A vendor with a splashy, impressive mail order catalog imported brake rods that had no return spring "humps". (Old timers in this hobby will know instantly of whom I speak.) Guys ordered them because they were a few pennies cheaper than those sold by honest vendors. You usually get what you pay for. I know - I got stuck with these crappy brake rods in 1979. It cost too much for most guys to pay for return postage to exchange them, so guys would weld up a knot where the hump should be and dress them to fit the return springs. Not the most ideal fix, but it worked - after a fashion. You may have these brake rods from the 1970's. I can't imagine any vendor today trying to unload such junk on the Model A community. Well, maybe ONE vendor in a state that starts with the letter "F". (How appropriate!)
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:11 AM   #6
aermotor

Talking Re: Brake rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
I seem to recall that in the 1970's, a certain now-defunct Model A vendor with a splashy, impressive mail order catalog imported brake rods that had no return spring "humps". (Old timers in this hobby will know instantly of whom I speak.) Guys ordered them because they were a few pennies cheaper than those sold by honest vendors. You usually get what you pay for. I know - I got stuck with these crappy brake rods in 1979. It cost too much for most guys to pay for return postage to exchange them, so guys would weld up a knot where the hump should be and dress them to fit the return springs. Not the most ideal fix, but it worked - after a fashion. You may have these brake rods from the 1970's. I can't imagine any vendor today trying to unload such junk on the Model A community. Well, maybe ONE vendor in a state that starts with the letter "F". (How appropriate!)
Marshall
This may be the case as a restoration of sorts was started in the seventies and receipts for parts (not these) were found in a box of new unused parts.

John
Old 10-24-2017, 08:39 AM   #7
100IH

If they were from Argentina they would have had a hump, so must have been early Chinese. The South Americans Had plenty of model A's so they knew what they were for.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:59 AM   #8
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicbox51 View Post
I see this a lot. What does "Bump" do, other than bubble the discussion back to the top of the unread stack?
You are right Bill...However I like "bttt"!

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:08 AM   #9
Marshall V. Daut

"This may be the case as a restoration of sorts was started in the seventies and receipts for parts (not these) were found in a box of new unused parts."

Aha!!! If you have receipts for other parts from Rick's Antique Auto in Shawnee Mission, Kansas, and/or receipts from J.C. Whitney/Warscharski & Co. in Chicago, then a previous owner shopped for Model A parts with his wallet instead of his brains. Both specialized in foreign-made parts that DID NOT FIT OR FUNCTION. Low price was their calling card. Poor quality at low prices was a well-known fact in the Model A community even then, so anyone who bought parts from these places got what they deserved - including me. (But only ONCE!) They flooded this country with garbage parts that still turn up today in older restorations or in boxes accompanying unfinished projects from that era. Some parts each of these places offered were o.k., but most were rejects or so-called "seconds" with defects. The hobby will probably never get all of these junk parts out of its system. They'll keep turning up forever. The friend's car I just finished straightening out last month had been "restored" in the 1970's and was absolutely crawling with unmistakable parts supplied by these shady-shoddy vendors.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:19 PM   #10
Fullraceflathead

Did the early 1928's have the bump???

"Primitive technology is not a design flaw"

1928 Ford Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Gordon Smith Air Compressor
1941 Willy's Pickup
1960 Thunderbird-For Sale
1964 Buick Riviera 2x4 425
1965 Pontiac GTO, 455 Super Duty
2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10, V-10 Viper
1977 Charger Jet Boat,460 Ford,Jacuzzi Jet
Front Engine Nostalgia Dragster,Supercharged 296 "Fullrace Flathead" Ford
Engine Build up on DVD ask
Fullraceflathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:37 PM   #11
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
Both specialized in foreign-made parts that DID NOT FIT OR FUNCTION.
Marshall
You mean something like some of the stuff available today??

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 10-24-2017 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Spellin'
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:52 PM   #12
midgetracer

We have come along way since "Rick Pak" and the Argentine junk. I have some of this old iron and I don't have to look hard to see how far the reproduction parts have come. Maybe in another 10 years we won't be able to complain about quality if the trend continues. Our vendors are doing a great job of bringing us quality repros, and informing us when the parts are not so good, but the best available.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:05 PM   #13
JDupuis

John, perhaps mig welding the nub/bump for the return spring is in order, rather not then finding a clamp. Good luck. Jeff
Old 10-25-2017, 06:59 AM   #14
aermotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDupuis View Post
John, perhaps mig welding the nub/bump for the return spring is in order, rather not then finding a clamp. Good luck. Jeff
I will do something - maybe not even use them. I was more curious than interested in using them. The return spring and clamp were good quality stamped sheet and appeared to be factory made. The spring was made to be bolted to the clamp, in turn clinching the rod. If I can find them in my "stuff" I will post a pic.

John
Old 10-25-2017, 02:24 PM   #15
Simonpie

I would think a 2 piece shaft collar would provide the function of a bump. Certainly not show quality.
Simonpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:54 PM   #16
SeaSlugs

dont go bonkers on retrofitting - new ones from snyders are only $12.25 each and im sure you dont have every part you need yet......