Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-20-2017, 03:38 PM   #1
bartmcneill

Default Photo Bucket thing

I'm not great on some computer stuff but I keep seeing a Photo Bucket box where a picture should be. I go to the website and they want $400 a year for me to use Photo Bucket. Are they nuts? Or do I just not understand. What is the deal?
bartmcneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:40 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Photo Bucket thing

Greed!
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:49 PM   #3
slammin

Photo Bucket changed their policy early this year. Anyone that didn't pay the ransom lost access to all their photos. I never signed up in the first place, but its frustrating not having access to all those lost photos.
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:55 PM   #4
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartmcneill View Post
I'm not great on some computer stuff but I keep seeing a Photo Bucket box where a picture should be. I go to the website and they want $400 a year for me to use Photo Bucket. Are they nuts? Or do I just not understand. What is the deal?
The deal with PhotoBucket is that they want $400 (approx) a year from anyone that wants to use their server to post photos. Once the poster has paid the $400 everyone can see their photos. The way they handled this is so bad I wonder if someone sold their Photobucket stock short? Reminders of their stupidity in this issue are posted in thousands (if not millions) of places across the Internet. I hope when someone finds out whose idea this was they are fired. Remember that it is easy to post pictures directly to ford barn (and most other sites).

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:07 PM   #5
Synchro909

I've never used Photobucket and on the strength of comments like these, I never will. I imagine there are plenty like me so you have wonder why they did it. Their future doesn't look too good if no one uses them any more.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:13 PM   #6
Jim/GA

Yes, Photobucket decided they could not afford to host everyone's photos for free forever. They decided they needed some kind of revenue to pay the bills. I don't know why they insisted on getting it from us. Why couldn't the other guys pay it? They knew what they were doing when they started their company.

Your Photobucket photos are not lost with this big change. You personally still have full access to them. But no one else can see them, like when you share them on a forum like Ford Barn.

You can download all of your own photos from them and then go put them somewhere else for others to see. The main issue is that you would have to go back and find all of those links to your photos and change them. Never going to happen.

But you don't lose your photos.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:09 PM   #7
SeaSlugs

I would still get all your pictures off there before they do hold them blackmail...i cant imagine anyone paying them 400 bucks so they are about to go under.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:34 AM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Photobucket didn't shoot themselves in the foot.........the fools shot themselves in the head.

I quit using them 5 years ago, and now wish I never started using them.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:52 PM   #9
holdover

Greed is the word as has been said, and stupidity. I read elsewhere that they had millions of customers, if they only charged, say 25.00, most would have done it, but 400 is a rip off. They could have raised maybe as much as a billion with a fair charge, now I understand people are running away like they have a deadly virus.
I used them for many years, now there are options. As to posting on this site it is easy as I have bee shown. Go to the Go advanced, click on the paper click click on browse go to your pics and pick the ones you want , then upload load your pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_2801.jpg (82.3 KB, 17 views)
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:40 PM   #10
jim1932

even the high-end smugmug fee is $9 a month. WAY less than $400
Old 10-21-2017, 04:16 PM   #11
Crankster

This is a recurring theme in different ways, the end result though is archived forum posts for all kinds of things going back decades are prety much worthless or at least crippled. "See here where I removed 1/4" of material and installed a capacitor, here's the before photo, and now that I'm all done.". Of course computer storage isn't free but the costs have come down a whole lot. It's reasonable to change terms of service, but to make it retroactive was a dick move. Best to upload photographs directly to the website in almost every instance I can think of.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:08 PM   #12
bartmcneill

Thanks for the feedback, I thought maybe I was reading it wrong. Photo Bucket is crazy.
bartmcneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:17 AM   #13
Tom F OHIO

[QUOTE=holdover;1542105]Greed is the word as has been said, and stupidity. I read elsewhere that they had millions of customers, if they only charged, say 25.00, most would have done it, but 400 is a rip off. They could have raised maybe as much as a billion with a fair charge, now I understand people are running away like they have a deadly virus.
I used them for many years, now there are options. As to posting on this site it is easy as I have bee shown. Go to the Go advanced, click on the paper click click on browse go to your pics and pick the ones you want , then upload load your pics[/QV

Very nice looking pickup truck.....
Tom F OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote