Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-24-2017, 06:55 PM   #1

Default Mechanical Brakes

I wonder why many hate mechanical brakes, I hit those brakes today, and the car stops on the dime, even with a little skidding. I am glad I didn't listen to a previous friend who told me to get the juice, and spend so much for the change.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:57 PM   #2
modelaer

Default Re: Mechanical Brakes

I agree 100%.
modelaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:12 PM   #3
Gunmetal blue2

With are brakes you have to brake a brake rod for the brake not to work. That still lives you with three good brakes. The guy's and gal's that have juice brakes, breaks a brake line and they just lost there brakes. OH I forgot they got the emergency brake. lol
Gunmetal blue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:21 PM   #4
Terry, NJ

With two cars, a coupe and a Town Sedan having juice brakes and one having mechanicals, guess which I have more trouble with? Guess which I have NO trouble with! As you say, mechanicals stop on a dime. No cylinders to lock up or to leak. I will take mechanicals over juice brakes anytime.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:23 PM   #5
denis4x4

The only reason A's have mechanical brakes while Chevy and Plymouth had hydraulic brakes was due to the fact that Henry was too damn cheap to switch over! By the way, when you use dual cylinder master cylinders, you still have brakes in the event of s cut hose. In 25 years of driving A's with hydraulic brakes, I've never had a leaky wheel cylinder...what am I doing wrong?
Old 02-24-2017, 07:24 PM   #6
J Franklin

I think the only advantage to hydraulics would be constantly even brakes.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:53 PM   #7
aermotor

I think stopping ability is limited more by the small tire foot print (of large diameter tires) than properly adjusted and maintained mechanical brakes. Just my opinion.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
I think stopping ability is limited more by the small tire foot print (of large diameter tires) than properly adjusted and maintained mechanical brakes. Just my opinion.

John
True, Iam sure switching my 21s to 16s made a big difference.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:03 PM   #9
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post

John
I agree. When the braking system is able to slide all 4 tires evenly, it really doesn't matter what system is doing the braking.

Of course minimum stopping distance is up to the the driver to apply the brakes JUST PRIOR to lock up.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:24 PM   #10
jm29henry

I love mechanical brakes ! It's what I love about a model a ford
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:24 PM   #11
KGBnut

Henry boasted "the safety of steel, from toe to wheel."

Yes, there are some advantages to hydraulics: self balancing; fewer points to introduce play into the system... but, there is nothing wrong with properly maintained mechanicals. Personally, I like the simplicity (and even the nostalgia) of them. But, that's just me.

Ken
Old 02-24-2017, 11:34 PM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

It all comes down to proper restoration!
Old 02-24-2017, 11:53 PM   #13
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
The only reason A's have mechanical brakes while Chevy and Plymouth had hydraulic brakes was due to the fact that Henry was too damn cheap to switch over! By the way, when you use dual cylinder master cylinders, you still have brakes in the event of s cut hose. In 25 years of driving A's with hydraulic brakes, I've never had a leaky wheel cylinder...what am I doing wrong?
Henry wasn't cheap. When you consider the number and types of parts required for a mechanical system versus a hydraulic system, the cost of mechanicals was probably more expensive.

The key here is that all the mechanical parts must be to factory specs. When they are, mechanicals are arguably superior to hydraulics.

I have done both.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:19 AM   #14
Drive Shaft Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
It all comes down to proper restoration!
Where I used to work , a street rodder friend of mine had a stock Model A, he wanted to know how to rebuild the brake system. I gave him the Les Andrews book for reference, a week later he returned it to me and said , that's to much work. Go figure!
Drive Shaft Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:39 AM   #15
Chippy Minton

I like the mechanical brakes on my Model A as they suit the dynamics of the car and encourage me to drive within it's limitations. There is no need for a more powerful hydraulic system in this case. With my modern cars I'll stick with the assisted, ABS, all round hydraulic discs that are linked to the road by wide, low profile, high performance tyres.
Chippy Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:18 AM   #16
eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy Minton View Post
I like the mechanical brakes on my Model A as they suit the dynamics of the car and encourage me to drive within it's limitations. There is no need for a more powerful hydraulic system in this case. With my modern cars I'll stick with the assisted, ABS, all round hydraulic discs that are linked to the road by wide, low profile, high performance tyres.
"More powerful"?? Skidding is skidding. Properly installed hydraulic brakes can reduce the pressure on the pedal, but that doesn't mean they are more powerful. Poorly done hydraulic s are a safety disaster, as are poorly done mechanicals.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:47 AM   #17
leo

Hey denis4X4, maybe Plymouth but not Chevrolet. I had a 1933 Chevrolet coupe in high school and that had mechanical brakes. They were cable activated and as I recall they were every bit as functional as juice brakes.
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:00 PM   #18
Cape Codder

I have to agree with Eagle in what he has said,"Poorly done hydraulic s are a safety disaster, as are poorly done mechanicals." Shortly after I bought my car I came VERY close to "T" Bone a car at a local intersection. I hope the reason the accident didn't happen was because I was on my way to church. Shortly after the incident I jacked the car in the air and removed ALL of the Hydraulic equipment and rebuilt, replaced and adjusted the NEW mechanical system. I did replace the original drums with cast iron ones. I have had over 12 years of driving on these brakes with NO problems at all other then an occasional "click" on the adjusters.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:56 PM   #19
heneste

I think as long as the mechanicals are kept adjusted properly, you shouldn't have issues being able to stop quickly. The juice brakes require less maintenance but when they fail, usually the entire system fails. A little more routine maintenance is the trade off but well worth it in my books.
heneste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:52 PM   #20
califfarmer

When I purchased my phaeton it had a sloppy hydraulic brake setup. I'm almost done putting back to the way Henry intended