Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #1
ahoogakev

Default How to Rivet Zinc strips onto Running Boards?

Hello Gang; Can anyone offer any advice on how to rivet the zinc strips onto the running board ends; these rivets are so small, I wonder if I could just squeeze them with a vise grips, or is there a better way? Also does anyone know the size and a source for the rivets? I checked with Big Flats Rivet Co; and they were not familiar with them, I dont see them in Snyders catalog, either. Thanks for your kind help! Kev
ahoogakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
wrndln

Default Re: How to Rivet Zinc strips onto Running Boards?

I have had the same concern as you. It appears they are 1/8" trusshead semi-tubular brass rivets. The runningboard end metal measures about .060 to .065 and the zinc trim is .030 thick for a total metal thickness of .090 to .095. That means the total rivet length should be about 3/16" long. I believe that you would set them with a 1/8" semi-tubular riveting tool that most model A part places sell. Big flats sell a brass rivet that is: 1/8 D X 3/16 Lg. X 7/32 Head Brass, Oval Head, Semi-Tubular the boldface is copied from their website description. You might need to put the rivets in a drill and spin the head down to a smaller size to work correctly.

I haven't replaced the zinc strips on my two pairs of original runningboards yet, but I think what I wrote above would work OK. Also be carefully as some suppliers say their strips only fit repro runningboards. I don't know what the difference is, but ask if they will fit your runningboard. I have a set of Rootlieb runningboards and they don't have the rivet holes in the ends or the rivets, but the end zinc strips have the holes in them.
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
figment

I thought that the rivits were aluminum. I might have some if you still need them. Norm
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:17 AM   #4
ahoogakev

Hi Norm, Thanks for the kind offer,I really l dont know what they should be made of , the Judging Standards just says they were plated in Cad or zinc, not what they were made of. I might have to grind down an old original just to see what color is on the inside,maybe I can figure it out from that , Thanks once again, Kev
Old 06-11-2010, 02:26 AM   #5
ahoogakev

Hi Wrndln; Thanks for the super info, thats great! I have a set of new repo zinc strips , they look like they will fit fine, and they dont have any holes drills in them yet, so I should be able to custom fit them with any luck.My running boards are original, not Rootlieb. I will check the Big Flats site again and see if I can find those rivets you mentioned, Thanks once again, Kev
Old 06-12-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
Marco Tahtaras

There are a number of ways to "make them work". However the only way to make them work WELL and look like they should is with a rivet setting tool.

The punch type on the left is the cheapest and most common. Shown here is 9/64" (the most common on a Model A) and 3/16".

This of course is how they looked originally. These are the common 9/64"

1/8" is a common size so you should be able to find a tool without ordering one from a specialty supplier. A saddle shop MAY have these
types of tools. Also keep in mind that brake show linings are riveted with 1/8" rivets I believe, so that may be an option.

I haven't taken any pics of the bottom of my running boards, but the rivets are cadmium plated steel rivets with very small heads. The heads are hidden but must be small to not interfere with the fender flanges. The original rivets were a size that is still standard today.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Also to, the holes are already there in the 28-29 running boards so as not to drill new holes...just in the zinc strips.

Placement is important...the two long ones first, then the two end ones overlap the two long ones (28-29).

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:57 PM   #8
ahoogakev

Thanks for the super info, Steve and Marco; now the fun part starts ( experimenting!!!) Kev