Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-20-2019, 06:24 PM   #20
WHN

Default Re: Front and Rear Spring Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I have heard conflicting info on this so I will yield to your knowledge but when you do go to their website it shows that due to tarriffs being imposed, there will be a price increase. Wouldn't those tarriffs only be imposed on imported raw goods?

As for a used spring being installed, how many original springs have you ever seen broken on a restored vehicle rendering the vehicle and its occupants in a dangerous or life-threatening situation?

I have disassembled plenty of spring assemblies with one broken leaf, and in all instances that I can remember the tie-bolt was broken too. This is generally caused by loose spring clip nuts. Maybe others can cite specific instances however the only broken main leaf
(A-5313 or A-5563-*) that I have ever seen or heard about failing is on springs when the eyes were heated and rolled the opposite way. Outside of that, you just do not find broken main leaves. The Ford design of the properly tightened spring clips and the spring clamps installed would keep a spring from coming apart even in the event one leaf did break (which happens in the tie-bolt hole area). One additional thought, how many Model-T springs have you ever heard failing, ...and remember these vehicles are between a decade or two older than the A springs with potentially subjected to more life cycles under more compromising road conditions?!?!!

A-Spring states on their web site, “All products are USA made”. Snyder’s web site also lists their best quality show springs as USA made and they explain the process used to manufacture them including the type of steel used.

They are out there, for the GO car. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote