Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-19-2018, 10:00 PM   #21
Ernie Vitucci

Default Re: Answers to questions here telling them to look in club mag.

Good Evening...It seems to me that the best approach for a new Model A Owner, is to join this site AND then join a local Model A Club. Almost every club has a mechanic who is a member and will work on/teach new members how to maintain and improve their cars. I'm a slow learner and so it is helpful for me to see someone demonstrate what ever I am trying to do a couple of times or help me make the repair so that I really understand. If I tried to do it all on my own, my Model A would not be on the road near as much as it is. Also the national clubs have videos that can be purchased/downloaded to show a new owner how do time engines and many other jobs that we take for granted after a few years. Ernie
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:42 PM   #22
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrocksr View Post
Best answer!

'best answer'....X3 !

If a guys question bothers your sensibilities, in any way, use some self control and just walk on by ! Some will never learn this and will persist to throw dirt in the forum.

Last edited by hardtimes; 02-20-2018 at 02:14 PM. Reason: arithritic finger syndrome......spelling
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:14 AM   #23
BILL WILLIAMSON

I've seen Club Members give away books they don't use any more! After I read my Restorer, I give it away.
Bill Giver
Old 02-20-2018, 08:35 AM   #24
Keith True

A few years ago I put a new master cylinder in a 65 VW for a man that was no longer able to twist himself around enough to do it.I know there a couple of measurements I needed,both freeplay and pedal to firewall clearance are critical.The owner got on his phone to a VW site he belonged to and asked the question.We had to laugh because by that night he had 16 responses.All told him what book to buy,where was the best place to buy it,and a couple told how to do what we were trying to do,and a couple even told him what page the information was on.There were pages of writing.The last response was the shortest.It It just said 10MM and 1MM.That's what we needed.He just didn't want to drive 25 miles to get his book when there were hundreds of people at the touch of the phone to help.That's a lot different from the people that want to rebuild their whole car solely from free info on forums,because they didn't want to buy a book.I like books.I had a hard time getting a manual for my Bobcat because everybody just seemed to offer them on disc.I can't open a disc to the page I want,lay a wrench across it to hold it open,and look at it while I'm working.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:09 PM   #25
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
I can't open a disc to the page I want,lay a wrench across it to hold it open,and look at it while I'm working.
Keith,

I just print out the page I'm going to use. One advantage is you won't get your book full of grease and dirt.

With respect to the original question, many people who ask questions don't provide enough information about what books or FB threads that they have researched, the status of their equipment or what they have tried to fix the problem. Responders get frustrated when they have to make assumptions when the background is not provided.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:45 PM   #26
100IH

The splendid thing about a library is seeing other things that are off track yet interesting. Like surfing the web and spending all day reading other stuff. Certainly don't want to encourage that.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:52 PM   #27
redmodelt

101% behind people getting repair manuals, should be the first thing they do. Next if they are so inclined, joining a club. One thing we have to take in to account; there are a lot of people who never have picked up a wrench, or very little, in their life! I think we sometimes, including me, forget that. Just because some of us have been turning a wrench from almost as long as we could walk and playing with old cars for 30 40 50 or more years, does not mean everyone has. d Now is someone wants to abuse our help by using us to restore their car, NO. That's like the guy(s) that go on tours so others can fix their broken cars.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:29 PM   #28
J Franklin

If someone has never picked up a wrench they maybe shouldn't own a car that needs moderate periodic maintenance until they put a mechanic on retainer. I doubt anyone on these forums doesn't want to be helpful, but maybe think it wouldn't hurt to suggest a little research or search beforehand or concurrently.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:49 PM   #29
1955cj5

It's been almost 3 years since I brought my ccpu home. It came with a book by Jim Schild and another by Mack Hils.

I knew next to nothing about Model A's at the time, other than being able to start and drive it..

The Schilds book taught me how to set the timing after I took the distributor upper plate off (learning quickly that this totally upset the previous setting) looking for the reason why there was no power at the points (turned out to be the old repop ignition switch). Ran fine after the fault was found and timing was set. Thank goodness I had that book...

I learned about and bought the Les Andrews red book after joining and reading posts on The Ford Barn.

One of the best things that happened was a local Barn member and long time Model A owner contacted me through a PM and he has been an huge help as well as a good friend ever since.

I was encouraged to get the Judging Standards. I thought that this truck will never be in any judged show so why get the JS?

Turns out it is a great resource for checking whether my truck has the correct parts for it's year of manufacture and helps when buying replacement parts, especially used parts.

After nearly 90 years much can happen to a vehicle and many things had been changed or modified or were just plain missing.

The other book I was encouraged to buy was the Service Bulletin reprint.

Another excellent resource, and just paging through it I learned much about the various parts and systems in the truck, and what changes were made along the way.

I would say that though I have a minimal library, all the books have been used to the point of the pages getting dog eared....

This truck has been in the family since 1962..I more or less grew up with it, though it spent most of it's time in the barn, being drive only occasionally.

I've learned more about the Model A in the last 3 years than I had in the previous 55 years!

Randy