Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-01-2019, 11:00 PM   #1
rhoadesm64

Default New to Model A and Starter Question

So I got the chance to purchase a 1928 open cab truck from a friend whose father had the A and then passed on due to cancer, so guess what? I bought it. The truck did run and drove ok without any issues. The po did put a new wiring harness in it I just had to finish it, hook up stoplight switch and taillight. He had already converted to a alternator.

So I went to start it and it turns over very slow and takes a bit before it will actually start. After engaging the starter a few times it gave just a grinding sound, let off, try again, grinding sound again, let off, tried again and got nothing, no click or anything.

I removed the started and noticed 2 things,

#1 - the starter switch has no threads to screw in the starter rod, all the switches I have seen have threads.

#2 - the contact on the start is not a flat contact, it is raised and at an angle. All the starters I have seen this contact is flat. I have attached a pic for your viewing pleasure. I hooked the start up to a battery and it did turn but not real fast.

I my friend found another starter in his dad's things, he brought it to me and I plan on putting it on the truck, it spun over quite a but faster than mine did. I purchased a new starter switch along with a few nuts and bolts and a safety fuse to go along with it.

My big question is why is the starter and starter switch different than all the others I have seen on parts web sites and in the videos I have found.

I am sure I will have more question as my Model A years go on and on. I am excited to get the truck on the road again.

Hopefully I got the pics to post.

Thanks,
Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truck.jpg (68.1 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg starter.jpg (41.1 KB, 271 views)
rhoadesm64 is offline   Reply With Quote