Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-24-2019, 05:21 PM   #21
Hoop

Default Re: T 170Ft RTS conversion

There may be a little misunderstanding about shifting your '41 transmission (exactly the same as the much-desired 1939).

You don't have to "baby" it if it is in good condition ... don't have to shift slowly and don't have to pause in neutral or any of that.

If is pretty much worn out ... that's different.

The same design was used by Ford, with NO synchronized 1st gear, well into the 1960's. The early Mustang 6 cylinder base 3-speed was not synchronized in 1st.

Suggest you have someone that knows that transmission drive it ... may be adjustments, but very likely just plain wear. If you rebuild it, and learn a few basic 1st gear techniques (and I don't mean double-clutching that guys want talk about) ... you might like it fine. If it really needed synchro 1st, it would have it.

I drove a lot of cars without synchronized 1st gears, from foreign sports cars to hillbilly ridge runners. No problem.

Get the numbers stamped on the bottom of the rear end ... divide the smaller into the larger to determine the gearing. Let us know.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:28 PM   #22
gtdohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
There may be a little misunderstanding about shifting your '41 transmission (exactly the same as the much-desired 1939).

You don't have to "baby" it if it is in good condition ... don't have to shift slowly and don't have to pause in neutral or any of that.

If is pretty much worn out ... that's different.

The same design was used by Ford, with NO synchronized 1st gear, well into the 1960's. The early Mustang 6 cylinder base 3-speed was not synchronized in 1st.

Suggest you have someone that knows that transmission drive it ... may be adjustments, but very likely just plain wear. If you rebuild it, and learn a few basic 1st gear techniques (and I don't mean double-clutching that guys want talk about) ... you might like it fine. If it really needed synchro 1st, it would have it.

I drove a lot of cars without synchronized 1st gears, from foreign sports cars to hillbilly ridge runners. No problem.

Get the numbers stamped on the bottom of the rear end ... divide the smaller into the larger to determine the gearing. Let us know.

The rear gearing is 3.78:1
gtdohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-24-2019, 07:24 PM   #23
Hoop

3.78 is a good standard gear ratio. Keep in mind that your choice of tires, as discussed in one of your other threads, will affect that gearing. Wasn't mentioned but worthing considering.

Swapping tires = "poor man's quick change"

Last edited by Hoop; 04-24-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:08 PM   #24
gtdohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
3.78 is a good standard gear ratio. Keep in mind that your choice of tires, as discussed in one of your other threads, will affect that gearing. Wasn't mentioned but worthing considering.

Swapping tires = "poor man's quick change"
I understand. I am leaning towards 16" radials unless I can get a really nice set of 15" rims. If I stay with 16s, it shouldn't affect the gearing, Correct?
gtdohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:51 PM   #25
Hoop

Depends on the tires and their circumference. Lot of different tires will fit on a 16 inch rim.

(If you want to exercise your Excel software, create a spreadsheet with all available transmission gear sets and rear ends then start plugging in tire sizes ... trying to find a little edge in hillclimbs.)