Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2015, 07:13 AM   #1
modelamodela
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 76
Default Transporting Canadian car to US

I bought a Canadian built car and want to bring it to the US. Anybody have experience with this process? Is this a big hassle? Any recommendations of transporters that do this ?
modelamodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:23 AM   #2
EHERRICK
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 39
Default Re: Transporting Canadian car to US

I brought one from Winnipeg to Nashville a couple of years ago. I was very nervous about it. To complicate matters I drove my company truck pulling a company trailer. I even spoke to a border patrol agent a mile before the border. I expressed my concerns. Even he told me there would be no problem. Upon arriving at border with new purchase in tow I gave them my paperwork,answered a few questions and within 10 minutes was headed home. It was nearly a non event. Good luck with yours.
EHERRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-21-2015, 08:14 AM   #3
C26Pinelake
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Posts: 5,800
Default Re: Transporting Canadian car to US

Make sure you have the title and a genuine bill of sale with the sellers contact telephone number. Make sure you have a valid United State's passport as well as your passengers. Make sure that you and your passengers have no criminal record. If it is a larger port of entry pick a non busy time to enter. If the border is not busy you will likely be no more than 20 minutes. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:56 AM   #4
trulyvintage
Senior Member
 
trulyvintage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Direct Enclosed Transport Since 2006
Posts: 2,695
Lightbulb Re: Transporting Canadian car to US

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelamodela View Post
I bought a Canadian built car and want to bring it to the US. Anybody have experience with this process? Is this a big hassle? Any recommendations of transporters that do this ?
If the car was built & originally titled in Canada - you may not be able to register & drive it in your state without meeting current NTSB requirements.

Best to check with your local DMV office first before you import it.

You might have bought a parade vehicle or an expensive parts car.

Assuming it can be registered in your state without issue:

It is always a good idea to make as a condition of sale when buying
a car outside the continental US - the Seller guarantees the car can be imported into the states.

The US Border is not the place to discover the car cannot be imported.

If you are hauling it yourself or having a hauler do it that does not
go into Canada - have the Seller deliver it to the US side of the border.

Winter is just about here - you might find it difficult to have a hauler
go up north until Spring next year.

If you are having an import broker handle transport from Canada,
that will be taken care of.

Good Luck !


Jim
trulyvintage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:36 AM   #5
vern hodgson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: langley, wa.
Posts: 533
Default Re: Transporting Canadian car to US

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHERRICK View Post
I brought one from Winnipeg to Nashville a couple of years ago. I was very nervous about it. To complicate matters I drove my company truck pulling a company trailer. I even spoke to a border patrol agent a mile before the border. I expressed my concerns. Even he told me there would be no problem. Upon arriving at border with new purchase in tow I gave them my paperwork,answered a few questions and within 10 minutes was headed home. It was nearly a non event. Good luck with yours.
Ditto, easy breezy, crossed in about fifteen minutes. The real hit was the cost to license and register and sales tax. Bummer.
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:54 AM   #6
HoarseWhisperer
Senior Member
 
HoarseWhisperer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,470
Default Re: Transporting Canadian car to US

I have found it easier to import a vehicle to the US, than import to Canada.

Canada really, really wants their taxes and can hold you up for hours while searching the internet for market value, calling the seller, going through your vehicles, pockets, bank records or anything that indicates you are not being truthful about the actual purchase price.
__________________
I know a lot of things; I just can't remember them all.

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:06 PM   #7
katy
Senior Member
 
katy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,690
Default Re: Transporting Canadian car to US

Quote:
Canada really, really wants their taxes and can hold you up for hours while searching the internet for market value, calling the seller, going through your vehicles, pockets, bank records or anything that indicates you are not being truthful about the actual purchase price.
Ditto on that, except in my case they said there was no use in calling the seller because he would lie just like they thought I was doing. (which I wasn't)

Not to mention the hassle of getting the vehicle out of the US.
__________________
Play it again Sam.
katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:22 PM   #8
HoarseWhisperer
Senior Member
 
HoarseWhisperer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,470
Default Re: Transporting Canadian car to US

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
Ditto on that, except in my case they said there was no use in calling the seller because he would lie just like they thought I was doing. (which I wasn't)

Not to mention the hassle of getting the vehicle out of the US.
I sent the paperwork to the US export station 72 hours in advance. They took 10 minutes to look at the VIN on the engine and I was ok. Canadian customs held me up for 2 1/2 hours trying to verify the purchase price.
__________________
I know a lot of things; I just can't remember them all.

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 PM.