Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-28-2019, 09:33 AM   #1
Mulletwagon

Default Trans Bearings

Getting ready to change out the front and rear bearings. Is it better to go sealed or unsealed ? I lean toward unsealed.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:05 AM   #2
macdonge

Default Re: Trans Bearings

Sealed, one side.
macdonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:50 AM   #3
redmodelt

Sealed one sided. Keep the slingers in place they act also as spacers. Why have one(2) places for possible leaks. Sealed side out. Don't need to dilute the grease in the U-joint or add it to the clutch. While you are at it might want to use the gear shafts with the o rings and shift rail kit. And make sure the vent in the tower is open.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:57 AM   #4
Mulletwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
Sealed one sided. Keep the slingers in place they act also as spacers. Why have one(2) places for possible leaks. Sealed side out. Don't need to dilute the grease in the U-joint or add it to the clutch. While you are at it might want to use the gear shafts with the o rings and shift rail kit. And make sure the vent in the tower is open.

Seen sealed and unsealed bearings but not sealed on one side. Are they readily available ? Are they US made ? Source ?
Old 11-28-2019, 12:03 PM   #5
rocket1

Just pull off the seal on one side,I've done it.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:06 PM   #6
J Franklin

If using sealed on the u-joint side research flowable grease for the joint.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:19 PM   #7
1crosscut

Don't just replace the front and rear bearings. Replace all of the bearings while you have it apart.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:20 PM   #8
Mulletwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdonge View Post
Sealed, one side.
Liking the leak resistance of sealed bearings. Any serious longevity problems with using the double sealed bearings ? Suspect oil will eventually find its way past the seals. Understand u-joint will require more frequent servicing. Also like the O-ring shafts - very cool.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:17 PM   #9
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crosscut View Post
Don't just replace the front and rear bearings. Replace all of the bearings while you have it apart.

I agree , replace all of the transmission bearings . When bearings begin to fail , the rollers can and will stack . When the rollers from the failed bearings stack it throws the gear teeth out of alignment and transmission failure will follow .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 01:27 PM   #10
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket1 View Post
Just pull off the seal on one side,I've done it.

Yup, the seal will pop out quite easily.

Then trans oil will lube the bearing. As mentioned the u-joint will like 'goopier' [ technical term] grease/oil in the shell. We've used separate grease guns over the decades, one with grease mixed with heavy oil for such purposes and one with heavy oil for steering boxes with a grease fitting where the fill plug usually resides.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:04 PM   #11
Bill G

By the time you get the tranny out and apart, the additional cost and work to replace all the bearings and get new shafts with O rings is all pretty minimal, and worth the effort and cost. Taking one side seal off the front and rear bearings is easy.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:15 PM   #12
daveymc29

Any trouble getting the o-rings to go into place. I pulled a tranny apart that already had o-rings but they were badly cut and had a good part of the material missing, I tried to get o-rings into the grooves but gave up and used shafts with no o-ring, They do weep a bit, but I've seen worse.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:34 PM   #13
31 Vicky

I have found that the rear bearing with just one seal doesn't seal well even with the slinger in place. I am using a double sealed bearing and the level now stays up after extended touring.
31 Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:01 AM   #14
redmodelt

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P...ission-3-speed
Old 11-29-2019, 08:58 AM   #15
1crosscut

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
Any trouble getting the o-rings to go into place. I pulled a tranny apart that already had o-rings but they were badly cut and had a good part of the material missing, I tried to get o-rings into the grooves but gave up and used shafts with no o-ring, They do weep a bit, but I've seen worse.
I too would like to know what the "trick" is to get the o-rings in place without them being damaged while installing them.

I've had excellent success keeping the original style shafts from leaking by putting a thin coating of black silicone around the ends of the shafts after they are in place and before the keeper plate is installed. Then after installing the keeper plate re-applying the silicone around the ends of the exposed shafts, keeper plate and bolt head.
Be sure that things are squeaky clean before putting on the silicone and use a bit of teflon tape on the bolt threads.
Has worked like a champ for me. The first one I did this way was 8 years ago and it hasn't leaked a drop yet.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:15 AM   #16
ryanheacox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crosscut View Post
I too would like to know what the "trick" is to get the o-rings in place without them being damaged while installing them.

I've had excellent success keeping the original style shafts from leaking by putting a thin coating of black silicone around the ends of the shafts after they are in place and before the keeper plate is installed. Then after installing the keeper plate re-applying the silicone around the ends of the exposed shafts, keeper plate and bolt head.
Be sure that things are squeaky clean before putting on the silicone and use a bit of teflon tape on the bolt threads.
Has worked like a champ for me. The first one I did this way was 8 years ago and it hasn't leaked a drop yet.

I wrecked one of the o-rings when I rebuilt my transmission and then it dawned on me to chamfer the edges of the holes in the transmission case slightly. Used a small stone on the dremel and the second one went in flawlessly. Luckily I had some correct size o-rings to replace the destroyed one.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:37 AM   #17
rotorwrench

A person has to check those shafts pretty close. Some of the ones made for the V8 transmissions are undersize a bit so the bearing surfaces are not up to specs. I do like 1crosscut and apply some silicon sealant to the ends of the shafts be fore I push them in. It works as good as an O-ring since there is no pressure involved.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:25 AM   #18
redmodelt

"I wrecked one of the o-rings when I rebuilt my transmission and then it dawned on me to chamfer the edges of the holes in the transmission case slightly. Used a small stone on the dremel and the second one went in flawlessly. Luckily I had some correct size o-rings to replace the destroyed one"

That is how we do it too, along with lubing the shaft too. It could be shown in one of Les books to do it that way.

I am thinking that bearing that is sealed/shielded on both sides would be prelubed. If you leave the shield on the inside, how would lube get to it?

Last edited by redmodelt; 12-01-2019 at 03:48 PM.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote