Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-08-2019, 03:44 PM   #21
Hunter

Default Re: MARC facebook site

Gary Karr is absolutely correct!!
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:33 PM   #22
dumb person

Lol farcebook. Burn it like it's toxic waste. (because it is)

But the question still stands, is the AR a parts book designation for the early model A, when it was surpassed by later model parts? I suspect so.

As much as i think quitting websites is for quitters, i've simply stopped going on ones where everyone tells me to kill myself every 5 seconds. One i return to because it's the only interaction i have with living people. But to those who had a cry & walked off here, some of them might actually want to return & be useful. Go on, i dare you.
No chest beating, just "This is how 'x' part was made, and how I do it, viewers can try this too".

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:56 PM   #23
WTSHNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Wilson View Post

So, is there a MARC Facebook group and what is the link?
Go to facebook, in the search box type "model a restorers club" should come up.

-Tim
Old 09-08-2019, 08:09 PM   #24
WTSHNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Karr View Post
The easiest way to set all of the misinformation straight and get the right answers is to have a copy of the Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards on hand!
I agree with you but that book means nothing to the people who were told by their granpappy that Model A Fords all had red brake drums and he knew Henry Ford personally so are you calling pop-pop a liar?

Some people cannot accept the truth even when presented with facts because of their own arrogance/ignorance.

-Tim
Old 09-08-2019, 10:40 PM   #25
Bill G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Wilson View Post
Mark, I tried the link in your signature information and got "
Sorry, this content isn't available right now

So, is there a MARC Facebook group and what is the link?
Try this one: Hopefully Mark will see the issue with his signature.

The MARC facebook page is a pretty active group. Like anything on Facebook, there is lots of misinformation, so you have to take the good with the bad.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARCFordGroup/
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:50 PM   #26
Bill G

MAFCA also has a facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MAFCA/
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:21 AM   #27
Ranchero50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Karr View Post
The easiest way to set all of the misinformation straight and get the right answers is to have a copy of the Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards on hand!
As a new enthusiast of these cars I'm honestly dismayed that there isn't more info available online or a factory service manual. In my honest opinion you shouldn't need a $50 club based book to tell how a 90 year old car is assembled. The Les Adkins books are not up to factory repair manual levels either. I was honestly disappointed in the 1st book. Shouldn't need to browse the web to see what the pinion nut torque is and other settings like the clutch fingers is all over the place.
Ranchero50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:44 AM   #28
F.M.
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchero50 View Post
As a new enthusiast of these cars I'm honestly dismayed that there isn't more info available online or a factory service manual. In my honest opinion you shouldn't need a $50 club based book to tell how a 90 year old car is assembled. The Les Adkins books are not up to factory repair manual levels either. I was honestly disappointed in the 1st book. Shouldn't need to browse the web to see what the pinion nut torque is and other settings like the clutch fingers is all over the place.
Buy a Chevy !!
F.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:57 AM   #29
alexiskai

I'm actually curious, are there other marques of this age that have a more robust support community? Do the proverbial "factory service manuals" exist for GM marques from the '30s? For Packard? Is there a robust ecosystem of parts suppliers for Nash or Studebaker?

Key phrase: "of this age." Obviously once you get into the muscle car era the situation is totally different.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:56 AM   #30
mfarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.M. View Post
Buy a Chevy !!
...and this is the kind of attitude that this thread has referenced for nearly two pages now...
mfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:16 PM   #31
Railcarmover
BANNED

Les Andrew's did the hobby a great service writing his manuals,he's helped countless model a owners..is it absolutely perfect? Well,write one better...he's a Nice guy too..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:12 PM   #32
mfarley

Quote:
As a new enthusiast of these cars I'm honestly dismayed that there isn't more info available online or a factory service manual. In my honest opinion you shouldn't need a $50 club based book to tell how a 90 year old car is assembled.
I agree. I think it’s only a matter of time before the Andrews manuals, and the Restoration Guidelines & Judging Standards, will have to be available in digital form. Edits and revisions could be made effortlessly...and a service could notify anyone who subscribes of changes via email. Any time it’s accessed, it would have the most up-to-date information, along with the revision history. The ability to reference a treasure trove of high-quality color photos showing things as carpets, interior patterns, assembly instructions, etc. would be invaluable. I know I would have rather bought access to an online copy than the large paper one I ended up owning. The photos are B&W, small, and hard to discern, and I can wipe the grease fingerprints off my iPad in a jiffy. I know some of you will like to keep your paper copies and that’s fine, but digital is the way to speak to the next generation of restorers.
mfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:45 PM   #33
F.M.
BANNED

Really, And who is going to pay for all of this ?.. That will be great, I buy one and make 100 or so for all my club to have, such a deal !!..
Old 09-10-2019, 07:58 AM   #34
Ranchero50

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.M. View Post
Really, And who is going to pay for all of this ?.. That will be great, I buy one and make 100 or so for all my club to have, such a deal !!..
I think you're missing the point. It shouldn't be up to a club to define how to work on the automobile.

Hopefully I'll find something up at Carlisle or Hershey.

What did Ford do back in the day?
Ranchero50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:54 AM   #35
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
I think you're missing the point. It shouldn't be up to a club to define how to work on the automobile.

There was no formal service manual, in an effort to provide the dealers with revenue by controlling service information Ford mechanics were basically trained on the job.The service bulletins provided updates and tips.The Les Andrews manuals are the first true DIY manuals for the A.Which brings up an interesting thought.Todays young mechanics receive no training on the basic automobile that existed for 70 years or so.When I was formally trained,we were taught generator rebuild,starter rebuild,basic point ignition systems,carburetor fuel systems, gas engine overhaul,standard transmissions and rear axles,king pin and ball joint front ends,drum style brakes..ancient history now
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:20 AM   #36
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
In an effort to provide the dealers with revenue by controlling service information Ford mechanics were basically trained on the job.
The role of dealers in the early automobile ecosystem is deeply underappreciated. Just as one example of how different things could be, there was a Model T dealer around this region that treated the Ts as basically interchangeable. People would bring their Model T in for service and the dealer would just send them home with one from inventory, then fix up the one they brought in and send it home with someone else.

The sheer number of ads for Model A accessories that were aimed at the dealer rather than the owner makes it likely that the standards for "authenticity" that we have now, particularly regarding appearance, are much stricter than what one would have encountered in the new-car inventory at a typical dealership of the time.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:32 AM   #37
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
There was no formal service manual, in an effort to provide the dealers with revenue by controlling service information Ford mechanics were basically trained on the job.The service bulletins provided updates and tips.The Les Andrews manuals are the first true DIY manuals for the A.Which brings up an interesting thought.Todays young mechanics receive no training on the basic automobile that existed for 70 years or so.When I was formally trained,we were taught generator rebuild,starter rebuild,basic point ignition systems,carburetor fuel systems, gas engine overhaul,standard transmissions and rear axles,king pin and ball joint front ends,drum style brakes..ancient history now

IMO - a lot of components on todays cars are not built to be repaired. Labor and overhead for repair shops/dealers is so high it is cheaper to replace and throw the old one away. Most likely why services like motor/Generator/alternator repair shops are getting more difficult to find.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:43 PM   #38
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
IMO - a lot of components on todays cars are not built to be repaired. Labor and overhead for repair shops/dealers is so high it is cheaper to replace and throw the old one away. Most likely why services like motor/Generator/alternator repair shops are getting more difficult to find.
You are very correct sir in what you just said
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:14 PM   #39
F.M.
BANNED

Quote:

Carlisle ?? Hershey, Try calling Ford Motor Co. and ask them what they did @ the time.